Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

11 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I think that the thing that stood out were the interviews after with Lynch and Kelly.

Lynch said he made mistakes but you have to move on - when asked what he needed to improve he basically said he didn't know and would have to wait and watch the tape with the coaches.

Kelly was p*ssed over the mistakes he made - and he knew why he made the mistakes. On the INT he said he mis-read zone coverage for man and on the last drive he said he wasn't patient enough. Asked what he needed to improve he said that he had to do a better job of distinguishing between zone and man coverage. Asked about the fans chanting his name - he said he has to get better and he was p*ssed that they lost because he had a chance to win it and he messed it up.

Which QB would you prefer to have on the team?

Was glad to hear Kelly understood the mistake...not sure if Paxton knew what his mistakes were. And really liked his response to losing...even the first preseason game. Also....something he may need to work on is...fastballs are great. He can thread the needle that is for sure, but, I think he needs to mix in a change up every now and then....some touch passes are needed.

11 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Was glad to hear Kelly understood the mistake...not sure if Paxton knew what his mistakes were. And really liked his response to losing...even the first preseason game. Also....something he may need to work on is...fastballs are great. He can thread the needle that is for sure, but, I think he needs to mix in a change up every now and then....some touch passes are needed.

Omg I'm so tired of watching paxtons lame press conferences like act like you care. He's a lazy player which at first got taken for immaturity. 

I still think Case will have a great year and isn't in jeopardy of losing the starting spot, He was just out there for a couple series against probably the best D in the league who practiced against him all last and knows his habits. If the second and third preseason games look the same then I will become concerned. Also kinda just seemed like the whole team came out flat which is more of a concern for our coaching staff hopefully that is fixed as the preseason goes on.

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Omg I'm so tired of watching paxtons lame press conferences like act like you care. He's a lazy player which at first got taken for immaturity. 

Pretty sure he knows his days in Denver are numbered...I mean, I think Paxton is actually getting worse...how does that happen?  I am not sure how much more Chad needs to prove to anyone.  I mean, he is still a rookie and still rusty, we all saw it, but also saw the talent: he was accurate, he was mobile, he was tough (the hit he took, while delivering a TD pass was amazing), and coming from his family lineage, it seems his football IQ is up there.  However, with all the upside, he needs a bit more time...I think maybe just another year.  So, I'd cut Lynch.  Keep three QBs, and sign a veteran.  

I'd like to see what transpires with the Jets.  If they keep Bridgewater over McCown, I'd love the Broncos to sign him to really just be there in case Keenum gets injured and really to develop Chad even more.  

4 hours ago, MillerTime81 said:

I still think Case will have a great year and isn't in jeopardy of losing the starting spot, He was just out there for a couple series against probably the best D in the league who practiced against him all last and knows his habits. If the second and third preseason games look the same then I will become concerned. Also kinda just seemed like the whole team came out flat which is more of a concern for our coaching staff hopefully that is fixed as the preseason goes on.

I remember a few games last year (realistically it was probably 13 of them...) where it seemed like the coaching was not getting the team ready to play on Sunday. This is a big concern, I think Keenum faces an uphill battle because of this - does he have the Leadership quality that we lack on offense? We just can't afford to dig ourselves into a 10 point hole in the 1st quarter as we so often did last year, need to come out of the gate with a full head of steam.

Also, re: cutting Lynch. His dead cap if we were to cut him is roughly $2mil more than his current cap hit. It looks like we have about $6.5m remaining cap space (Spotrac), so would need the vet QB to sign a pretty cheap deal. Bridgewater at $6mil currently and McCown at $10mil.

I think this game showed a lot of fans where this team stands today. I'm not saying they won't improve as the season rolls along, but this isn't the AFC West/Playoff contending team that the Denver media hypes up. 

My takeaways: The offensive should be improved, but how much is still TBD. Our young receivers look good, but the real test will be up front and opening up running lanes for Royce, who without a doubt will lead this team in carries if he remains healthy. I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowl caliber back in his career, but he can be a solid two-down running back and short yardage guy with Booker/Henderson/Lindsay playing a role on third down.

Depth is going to be a huge concern for this team, and not just at QB. If we lose a starter up front, this line will struggle and this team will struggle, especially if it's at tackle. Also, if you don't think we need to bring in a veteran QB, you're nuts. Kelly isn't ready and Paxton looks like he couldn't even play in the lingerie league. He's dog-poo. Plain and simple. Cut him today. 

The biggest surprise for me was how poor our defense looked out there. Up front, we still have questions marks. Wolfe's health is a concern, and I have never been as high on him as most around here. I think he's an above-average player, but far from elite. Gotsis needs to step up. He has the tools, but it looks like the game moves too fast for him. I also have concerns about Chubb playing OLB. I thought he was better suited as a 4-3 end than a standing linebacker, and that's why I was less high on him at 5 than trading back. I think he can prove me wrong, I just think he's more versatile at end in the 4-3 and in sub-packages than at OLB.

Brandon Marshall is washed. I'm glad we didn't give him a huge contract extension as his play has steadily declined, and I don't really care for how he conducts himself off the field. Jewell looked like a player. Just a nose for the football and poised beyond his years. 

Our secondary has me concerned. CHJ will CHJ, but we have a real need for a 3rd corner. We'll see how Brock performs, but based on his past few seasons I don't know what to expect. Yaidom will be a player but I'm not sure he's there yet. Will Parks looks like a player, and Darian Stewart may well be on the chopping block. 

Perhaps my biggest concern is our coaching staff having the attitude and skill set to prepare and motivate this team. Vance needs to go, and I'll stand by this no matter the wins and losses on our record. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL head coach, and hasn't surrounded himself with people that can mentor him and take him where he needs to go. I know it was the first pre-season game, but Joe Woods looks like he may well coach himself out of a job by mid-season. 

I knew Lynch was done last preseason and posted it.  When he lost the QB job in the last preseason game and was embarrassingly outplayed and shown smiling, laughing, and giving Siemian a high five it was apparent he has no competitive desire to get it done.  Some argued it was Lynch being a good teammate, but it isn’t.  I don’t think he has the mental capacity to play QB to begin with.  Throw in a lack of competitiveness and he has no shot.

At the very least Kelly is competitive as hell (also aside from height and weight) equally as talented as Lynch and I’ll take Chad Kelly as my #2/developmental QB over a settler like Lynch any day.  Lynch wants no part in leading a team, which is his biggest deficiency and something that can’t be overcome in the NFL.  Get him off the team.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Chads officially the number 2 qb for now . I guess they still haven't given up on lynch lol.

Knew this was coming. I think Paxton's biggest problem is that he's a beta. If there's one position on the team that HAS to be a leader, it's at the qb position. Lynch has never shown the personality type to be that. You can kind of get away with that aloofness in college, but not in the pros. He's finished. Stick a fork in him.

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Knew this was coming. I think Paxton's biggest problem is that he's a beta. If there's one position on the team that HAS to be a leader, it's at the qb position. Lynch has never shown the personality type to be that. You can kind of get away with that aloofness in college, but not in the pros. He's finished. Stick a fork in him.

I think his biggest problem is he doesn't love the game I mean come on if he truly love the game he wouldn't play that bad he'd relax and let his natural ability take over. He's been improving in the offseason for 3 years now what exactly has he done. He looks like a deer in headlights. 

19 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I think this game showed a lot of fans where this team stands today. I'm not saying they won't improve as the season rolls along, but this isn't the AFC West/Playoff contending team that the Denver media hypes up. 

My takeaways: The offensive should be improved, but how much is still TBD. Our young receivers look good, but the real test will be up front and opening up running lanes for Royce, who without a doubt will lead this team in carries if he remains healthy. I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowl caliber back in his career, but he can be a solid two-down running back and short yardage guy with Booker/Henderson/Lindsay playing a role on third down.

Depth is going to be a huge concern for this team, and not just at QB. If we lose a starter up front, this line will struggle and this team will struggle, especially if it's at tackle. Also, if you don't think we need to bring in a veteran QB, you're nuts. Kelly isn't ready and Paxton looks like he couldn't even play in the lingerie league. He's dog-poo. Plain and simple. Cut him today. 

The biggest surprise for me was how poor our defense looked out there. Up front, we still have questions marks. Wolfe's health is a concern, and I have never been as high on him as most around here. I think he's an above-average player, but far from elite. Gotsis needs to step up. He has the tools, but it looks like the game moves too fast for him. I also have concerns about Chubb playing OLB. I thought he was better suited as a 4-3 end than a standing linebacker, and that's why I was less high on him at 5 than trading back. I think he can prove me wrong, I just think he's more versatile at end in the 4-3 and in sub-packages than at OLB.

Brandon Marshall is washed. I'm glad we didn't give him a huge contract extension as his play has steadily declined, and I don't really care for how he conducts himself off the field. Jewell looked like a player. Just a nose for the football and poised beyond his years. 

Our secondary has me concerned. CHJ will CHJ, but we have a real need for a 3rd corner. We'll see how Brock performs, but based on his past few seasons I don't know what to expect. Yaidom will be a player but I'm not sure he's there yet. Will Parks looks like a player, and Darian Stewart may well be on the chopping block. 

Perhaps my biggest concern is our coaching staff having the attitude and skill set to prepare and motivate this team. Vance needs to go, and I'll stand by this no matter the wins and losses on our record. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL head coach, and hasn't surrounded himself with people that can mentor him and take him where he needs to go. I know it was the first pre-season game, but Joe Woods looks like he may well coach himself out of a job by mid-season. 

Little over reaction here, but I love the real take.The Broncos are not a playoff team right now. They've got some decent talent going forward, but it's clear some really bad draft classes have left them thin at starting talent and the depth is really an issue.

Vance Joseph is a trash HC as well which is the bigger issues. He just looks like a guy in over his head out there. Sticking with him was a mistake they will need to correct around midseason when the team quits on him. Elway has completely mis-managed that situation it's looking like.

7 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Which is telling. Elway and the FO you would think could have recognized his personality traits leading up to the draft. Amazing for someone who is a HOF QB, he can't read QBs.

Said it at the time and will say it again, this team will be kicking themselves over not selecting Rosen this year in the draft.

Little over reaction here, but I love the real take.The Broncos are not a playoff team right now. They've got some decent talent going forward, but it's clear some really bad draft classes have left them thin at starting talent and the depth is really an issue.

Agreed. This is a 5-6 win team. The talent base just isn't good.

Vance Joseph is a trash HC as well which is the bigger issues. He just looks like a guy in over his head out there. Sticking with him was a mistake they will need to correct around midseason when the team quits on him. Elway has completely mis-managed that situation it's looking like.

He is likely the most incompetent, 'in over his head' HC in the entire league. I think that he is fired halfway through the season. You give him 8 games, anything less is just too quick a fire in terms of attracting other candidates next offseason. I would prefer we give Musgrave the starting gig anyways, I see him as a better HC option by a mile. Vance is the invisible man, holding no moxie and having no 'vibe' to him. Just a plastic bag blowing around in Dove Valley.

Which is telling. Elway and the FO you would think could have recognized his personality traits leading up to the draft. Amazing for someone who is a HOF QB, he can't read QBs.

Meh. Lynch was a shot in the dark and his college film was quite impressive. Elway had a habit of thinking he could mold a physically impressive QB into a starter, and seemed to overlook personality as a side trait. I didn't like the Lynch pick then but realistically a low 20's R1 QB has a very low chance of succeeding historically. If Lynch developed into even a middling to bad QB like Derek Anderson, he would have been a 'hit' for a QB taken around his range, statistically speaking at least. Overall though, this idea that a HOF QB should intrinsically have a magical reading on QB prospects is misplaced. There isn't correlation to playing and scouting QB's.

Said it at the time and will say it again, this team will be kicking themselves over not selecting Rosen this year in the draft.

Agreed, again. This team had a franchise QB handed to it and instead took a 'safe' defensive player. I disliked the Cubb pick then and I still do to this day. I don't like his burst or bend for a 34EDGE. I think he is basically a rich mans Robert Ayers. He will be misused in a 34 for a few seasons then transition to a 43 and be a better but still not worth his draft position type of player. And honestly, I don't think Chubb is even that rich of a mans Robert Ayers. Just never really thought he was explosive enough to develop into an elite, 'the other team gameplans to stop him' type rusher, and that's what you want when spending a top-5 pick on a EDGE.

Archived