Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

Tomorrow is the big day! Football is officially back. I'm excited for the season, but I don't get the optimistic outlook that a lot of fans and media have around Denver. This teams has A LOT of question marks moving forward, and I predict they'll finish no better than 3rd in the AFC West. 

I am not sold on Keenum. We're talking about an undersized QB that was benched two seasons ago (even if Jeff Fisher is responsible for the system/production) and was in the perfect situation last season in Minnesota to be successful. I do not think he's a franchise QB by any means, and doesn't live up to the contract he signed this off season. An undersized QB with one year of production behind one of the worst O-lines in football? He'll be lucky to play in a double digit number of games.

Aside from QB, on offense we have question marks at both tackles, left guard and RB. Is Veldheer healthy and productive on the right side? Has Boles learned from last season and added strength at the POA and can cut down on boneheaded penalties? Our season goes as far as our offensive line takes us, and I'll be interested to see how they look to begin camp. Depth is also an issue.

Running back is another area with huge question marks. Will Booker shoulder the load? How much tread does Rolls Royce have left on the tires after shouldering the load for four years at Oregon? Will DeAngelo Henderson become a contributor? To me, this is the largest question mark on offense as there is no veteran presence in the backfield. There's a starting spot to be had, who will rise up and take it? There's also a lot of optimism surrounding Phil Lindsay who had a stellar career at CU. Are his return skills enough to make the 53? PS is his ceiling IMO.

Receiver is still the strength of our offense, regardless of Sanders and DT's age. Sutton should be a contributor, and I'm very intrigued to see DaSean Hamilton work out of the slot. Henderson should be cut, YUGE bust. 

On defense, I'm excited to see how Roby performs in a contract year. That's my biggest question mark. Does he prove himself to be a franchise corner worthy of top dollar? Or is this his last season in orange and blue. Chris Harris will be Chris Harris, but the 3rd corner spot should be a great battle in camp. 

The other big question mark is Darian Stewart. Will he be a camp casualty to pave the way for a younger player? Can he cement his spot in the secondary? Will Justin Simmons grow into a field general? How will Sua Cravens be utilized, and more importantly how is his body? I see a lot of people claiming he makes us better, but we also have to remember he has a history of head injuries and hasn't played football in 16 months. Jury is still out.

Up front, pass rusher is the deepest position on the team with the good news surrounding Shane Ray. Now we have Barrett, Von, Ray and Chubb which should give QBs nightmares. Who else will step up at the Nost and at End. Can Adam Gotsis put aside the off field distractions and contribute? 

Based on these observations, I think we're facing the most pivotal year in Broncos country since Elway retired. I would have said the Tebow years, but we lucked into the second best QB of all time and put off a potential rebuild. What is Vance's leash? If we get off to a slow start will Elway make a move to save his career as the GM? 

With all that said, I am so happy that football is back in the Mile High City, and hope that a lot of the question marks turn into net-positives, but I am not optimistic. 

I'm curious to hear why it's a foregone conclusion that Carlos Henderson will be cut. Have we even seen him on-the-field since last summer? Or is that just the local scuttlebut? I am not in CO so I'm somewhat removed from the off-season murmurs from the local sports media. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, champ11 said:

I'm most intrigued by the RB, WR, and TE positions. Not surprising w how this team has done on that side of the ball. A healthy Jake Butt would be so huge (waits for jst comment)

I not going to say anything other than the OC should just whip out everything he's got and do it in the butt.

Those young, cost-controlled guys need to explode onto the scene if this team is going to be competitive. Two true blue chip guys in their primes (Von, CHJ) and the bulk of the former "stars" are aging vets with declining trajectories. Not the build of a great team. 

The cool thing is it feels like the first time in a while Denver has added young guys who look like game changing talents. Watching how guys like Chubb, Sutton and Cravens play is what I'm most excited about. 

23 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Lindsay provides a lot more in the return game that makes McKenzie expendable. Also Lindsay reps more than just CU but Colorado as a state. Even if you're a CSU fanboy hard to not love Lindsay for what he is. 

Either way that spot is going to go to the back that can make it on ST. Especially with McKenzie being inconsistent, Henderson a bust, and Taylor being injured.

If we keep Lindsay over the disaster that is Isiah McKenzie to be our KR/PR I’ll be 100% happy with it. I just get annoyed listening to the CU homers talk about him like he’s Barry Sanders, the hype is way too overblown.

6 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I'm curious to hear why it's a foregone conclusion that Carlos Henderson will be cut. Have we even seen him on-the-field since last summer? Or is that just the local scuttlebut? I am not in CO so I'm somewhat removed from the off-season murmurs from the local sports media. 

Welp. I guess not showing up for Training Camp pretty much seals the deal.

It's always disappointing when you spend a premium pick on someone who never plays a snap for your team. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:43 AM, 1234567 said:

Think Cravens will leave us craving more defense. 

Chubb will give us chubs

We'll all be keen on Keenum

Josey Jewell will be a real jewel in our LB core

Hahaha it just donned on me how many last names there are on this team you could do that with. xD

Are you related to jsthomp2007 ???

Archived