Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

12 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Read that Sutton was balls out yesterday, throwing dudes around and sh***t

Sutton is going to be good.  He’ll turn around Elways 2nd round whiffs.  Physically he has the talent, but what will separate him is the competitiveness.  All reports are he’s a high character guy who is crazy competitive and willing to put in the work.

I love training camp. Pretty sure we are super bowl champs this year. Keenum looks amazing. Philip Lindsay might be better than kamara. Demarcus walker is Malik Jackson 2.0. O-line is improved. We have 10-15 wr that will have 1000 yards. 

Good times to be a broncos fan! ?

The non-stop bashing of Siemian through how everyone is talking about Keenum in the media is kind of embarrassing. Blame Elway for putting a 7th round talent in at QB with a non-functioning OL and only 2 receiving options for two years. 

That being said, it sounds like Keenum has impressed so far. 

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Klis just tweeted that Brock is getting CB2 reps over Roby. Encouraging for Brock or discouraging for Roby?

I'd imagine that at this point it doesn't mean much. Roby has been CB3, maybe they figure if Brock can slide in at CB2 it is best for everyone? 

6 hours ago, champ11 said:

The non-stop bashing of Siemian through how everyone is talking about Keenum in the media is kind of embarrassing. Blame Elway for putting a 7th round talent in at QB with a non-functioning OL and only 2 receiving options for two years. 

That being said, it sounds like Keenum has impressed so far. 

I went down to practice today and, truthfully, what I saw from Keemun didn’t exactly blow me away. He does appear to have good intangibles, he seems to have command of the huddle and all that. 

But seeing him in person he is physically very underwhelming. He’s short and slight, his arm strength leaves a lot to be desired. He kind of reminds me of Chad Pennington from a measureables standpoint. The offense is very, very conservative, lots of check downs, short passes, three step drops and get the ball out quickly. It’s really a West Coast version of Mac’s offense from 2009 but with an actuall running game (which Mac’s didn’t have). 

The Fan and MHR will never tell you this but I think our ceiling is 8-8 if everyone stays healthy. We’ll be in every game because our defense will keep things close and hopefully the offense and special teams don’t routinely give the ball away but there’s no way our offense can hang with the big dogs in the AFC. 

4 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

I'd imagine that at this point it doesn't mean much. Roby has been CB3, maybe they figure if Brock can slide in at CB2 it is best for everyone? 

I don't think it's best for everyone if Roby is losing snaps to Brock. He's a former 1st round pick in a contract year (making almost 3x as much as Brock this season)- he should be kicking his a**. 

Edit: W/that said ... if it's happening because Brock is in great shape and showing out, then ok  (I guess...)

16 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I don't think it's best for everyone if Roby is losing snaps to Brock. He's a former 1st round pick in a contract year (making almost 3x as much as Brock this season)- he should be kicking his a**. 

Edit: W/that said ... if it's happening because Brock is in great shape and showing out, then ok  (I guess...)

I think it's a nonissue....From BSN article today..

ROBY RISING

Through two practices leading up to Monday, you may not have even noticed that new second corner Bradley Roby was on the field—in a good way. Interestingly enough, receivers covered by No. 29 had been essentially ignored.

That changed, though, on Monday, and the player the Broncos are counting on big time rose to the occasion.

By our count, the ball went towards Roby on five occasions during the team and 7-on-7 periods on the practice. Of those five attempts, Roby earned a pass breakup on three, forced a throw out of bounds on one and allowed a completion in the flat for no gain after he closed down on DaeSean Hamilton.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, champ11 said:

Just read Cecil Lammey's timeline and get hype about our 16-0 type roster 

Did anyone see this article? lol

https://milehighsports.com/vance-joseph-does-not-know-exactly-where-to-improve-but-knows-where-to-start/

Elway cant be happy reading stuff like this. Its things like this that make me think he wont last the season. 

There was another example in an interview where VJ was asked to give an example of how he is coaching the coaches better - and he couldn't - after fluffing around for a while he said that it is something between him and the coaches.

Now I don't like the guy - but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - Elway has added some good pieces this year and at the first sign of a 'we were good in practice' comment Joseph should be booted out the door.

A couple observations just from the numerous media sources I consume during training camp, but first a comment about the VJ article above:

- VJ is a moron. Plain and simple. Maybe the team will improve this year, but he seems to be way in over his head as a head coach. Part of the HCs job is dealing with the media, answering the questions, putting things to rest with your answers. Joseph can't get out of his own way. His answers are usually a bunch of bumbling nothing. You don't know what you did this offseason to get better? That's pathetic. If I were Elway, this team would need to be 9-7 or better for VJ to keep his job another year. I'm of the belief that Elway wants to fire VJ, but he doesn't want the reputation so he's buying some goodwill by keeping him around and investing in the roster.

Now, for my thoughts so far:

- The WR position is going to be in much better shape. By all accounts Sanders and Thomas have a great rapport with Keenum. Sutton sounds like he's becoming a force. Hamilton has had moments. It's been awhile since there's much to get excited about at WR.

- Same thing for RB. By all accounts, we have multiple RBs consistently doing well. I could see Henderson being odd man out given how well it appears Williams and Lindsay are playing. Great to have some dynamic players in the fold for once.

- Wolfe's neck stinger scares the hell out of me. I'm not convinced this won't be a recurring problem through the season.

- By all accounts, Chubb has been quite the player, which is always great to hear. I'm glad he's performing well and it should only make our defense that much better.

- I've been reading a ton of good things about Keishawn Bierria. This camp feels like a great moment for him with Marshall getting limited snaps and Jewell on the bench. Bierria was talked about as a 1st rounder prior to last years draft. If hes closer to the 2017 version of himself, and not the 2018 version, we got a ridiculous steal.

- Marquette King is going to be an unbelievable weapon for this team, particularly if the offense is inconsistent.

- We better hope to God that Keenum doesn't get hurt. The media pillorying Lynch really doesn't bode well for him. He's utter garbage. I saw MHR try and justify his existence by saying that he could "shed the bust label" if he becomes a competent backup and actually laughed out loud (LOL'ed, if you will). Kelly is struggling as well, which should put to bed all of the annual Broncos Country 3rd  QB lovefest talk for now.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

A couple observations just from the numerous media sources I consume during training camp, but first a comment about the VJ article above:

- VJ is a moron. Plain and simple. Maybe the team will improve this year, but he seems to be way in over his head as a head coach. Part of the HCs job is dealing with the media, answering the questions, putting things to rest with your answers. Joseph can't get out of his own way. His answers are usually a bunch of bumbling nothing. You don't know what you did this offseason to get better? That's pathetic. If I were Elway, this team would need to be 9-7 or better for VJ to keep his job another year. I'm of the belief that Elway wants to fire VJ, but he doesn't want the reputation so he's buying some goodwill by keeping him around and investing in the roster.

Now, for my thoughts so far:

- The WR position is going to be in much better shape. By all accounts Sanders and Thomas have a great rapport with Keenum. Sutton sounds like he's becoming a force. Hamilton has had moments. It's been awhile since there's much to get excited about at WR.

- Same thing for RB. By all accounts, we have multiple RBs consistently doing well. I could see Henderson being odd man out given how well it appears Williams and Lindsay are playing. Great to have some dynamic players in the fold for once.

- Wolfe's neck stinger scares the hell out of me. I'm not convinced this won't be a recurring problem through the season.

- By all accounts, Chubb has been quite the player, which is always great to hear. I'm glad he's performing well and it should only make our defense that much better.

- I've been reading a ton of good things about Keishawn Bierria. This camp feels like a great moment for him with Marshall getting limited snaps and Jewell on the bench. Bierria was talked about as a 1st rounder prior to last years draft. If hes closer to the 2017 version of himself, and not the 2018 version, we got a ridiculous steal.

- Marquette King is going to be an unbelievable weapon for this team, particularly if the offense is inconsistent.

- We better hope to God that Keenum doesn't get hurt. The media pillorying Lynch really doesn't bode well for him. He's utter garbage. I saw MHR try and justify his existence by saying that he could "shed the bust label" if he becomes a competent backup and actually laughed out loud (LOL'ed, if you will). Kelly is struggling as well, which should put to bed all of the annual Broncos Country 3rd  QB lovefest talk for now.

Totally agree. I'm worried about Wolfe's all around health if we're gonna be honest. I hope he takes care of himself.

That article is such a perfect encapsulation of VJ. I haven't found a single thing he has said to be insightful in over a year now. I don't listen to everything, but I see a lot of clips on twitter....and I know NFL coaches and players are notorious for giving us very little insight...and this dude has never said an interesting thing about football, himself, or the team. I mean not being able to comment on how you are trying to improve is a freaking joke. Michael Malone, who takes a lot of heat w Nuggets fans, gives more insight about himself and his players in one interview than Vance Joseph has given in over a year. The guy is an idiot and like Ben said just wayyyyy too far in over his head. I hate to be so negative about him since I was rooting for him....but there is just nothing that I've seen to connect with or be impressed by. Elway really blew it. All because Mike Shanahan didn't give him a job after he retired I suppose. 

I also love how the news out of training camp is Vance is "ruling with an iron fist." I thought he was the connect with players coach? Easy to see that this dude just doesn't have the experience or confidence to be convicted in how he runs the team. 

It's amazing to think John Elway sat in a room with Paxton Lynch, and then again with Vance Joseph, and liked what he heard enough to determine they would be his QB and coach of the future respectively. Both of those guys seem like bumbling idiots and Elway handed them the keys. 

John must have been boozing pretty hard then. 

Archived