Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

My take’s a little different. As far as skill positions we’ve upgraded those at QB, added WR depth and plenty of talent at RB. TE’s are an unknown but don’t have to do much to improve on last year. That group set a pretty low bar.

Added a pretty solid draft class, huge upgrade at punter, shouldn’t have a problem upgrading the KR/PR spot, and our defense should be deeper and improved.

IMO, this years record will be largely dependent on our OL improving noticeably. That’s a pretty low bar also and coaching moves have already been made to strengthen it.

The first improvement was firing the OL coach (he of the rotating OG’s, putting Leary on the right side where he’s below average instead of leaving him where he belongs at LG, expecting our 1st rd LT to improve without drastic technique upgrades, then putting one of the worst LG’s in the league next to him.) Our OL coach was awful!

Leary’s back where he belongs. Bolles will benefit greatly and should cut down a lot on his penalties and overall play. Paradis should be back at full strength and Veldheer is a tremendous upgrade over Watson at RT. McGovern has the skills to handle RG and hopefully he builds on his performance last year.

Depth is a big question mark but a guy like Sam Jones should help there. Kouandjio has to step this year or his once promising career will be about over.

AS the OL goes so goes the team. Musgrave is incorporating more moving pockets and other items that won’t expose Ol weaknesses nearly as much as McCoys. Good news is all early reports are promising.

I’d imagine an 8-8 or 9-7 season is reasonable but i'd be much more surprised at a 4 to 6 win season than I would a 12 win season. We’ll have a much better idea once we can see them in action.

I don’t necessarily disagree and while the moves Denver made were somewhat minimal for the OL, I think it could make that unit improve.  McGovern should have been starting all last season (there were numerous reports last year questioning why he wasn’t getting a shot as he’d outplayed Garcia in camp and in the preseason), Veldheer will definitely be an upgrade over the mess at RT.  As always, you expect an improvement from year 1 to year 2 for Bolles.

Still, a QB that can threaten the defense tremendously helps the OL.  Keenum has a far greater chance of doing that than Siemian ever did (Siemian was so bad even in the year fans thought he might be good).

As far as Sam Jones, reportedly he’s looked really good this offseason.  He may end up being a steal and I think he was drafted to be Paradis’ replacement after the season. 

50 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I don’t necessarily disagree and while the moves Denver made were somewhat minimal for the OL, I think it could make that unit improve.  McGovern should have been starting all last season (there were numerous reports last year questioning why he wasn’t getting a shot as he’d outplayed Garcia in camp and in the preseason), Veldheer will definitely be an upgrade over the mess at RT.  As always, you expect an improvement from year 1 to year 2 for Bolles.

Still, a QB that can threaten the defense tremendously helps the OL.  Keenum has a far greater chance of doing that than Siemian ever did (Siemian was so bad even in the year fans thought he might be good).

As far as Sam Jones, reportedly he’s looked really good this offseason.  He may end up being a steal and I think he was drafted to be Paradis’ replacement after the season. 

As you mention @germ-x, player moves for the OL were minimal. The coaching and offensive philosophy were not. That's where the major improvements will come from IMO.

McCoys offense continually asked more from our personnel than we could provide and highlighted our deficiencies rather than mask them. Same with our OL coaching. That won't be the case this year. Musgraves probably on a HC audition so I'd expect his group to perform well.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, jolly red giant said:

I really don't get a comment like this - I want the Broncos to win the SB - I don't want the Broncos to go 8-8 just to get rid Joseph - I have no problem with Joseph getting the boot if we go 8-8 - but that is not the season that I want to see happening.

This is where I come down. I don't have much, if any, confidence in Vance but I'm not hoping we lose so he gets fired. I'm hoping we have a great season and he proves me wrong.

It's different from when Mac was here and I wanted us to lose so he would get canned because Mac was a despicable human being who had no respect for the traditions and history of this proud and long-successful franchise. That's not the case with Vance. 

On 8/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I was with you about this AAA until my wife and kids went to camp yesterday. Bottle water was $1?! Souvenirs for <$10?!? This is in stark contrast to when I last went in 2013 where we were paying close to stadium prices. They can sell the naming rights to camp all they want if they are going to continue to pass that savings onto the fans

See I wasn't aware of that. That is a good decision by the organization. Props to them. 

When I saw that they had sold the naming rights to training camp I told the lady we should go again this year because I wouldn't be surprised to see them start charging admission next summer, and next summer we will be a party of 3 attending camp :D

On 8/2/2018 at 6:23 PM, AKRNA said:

Musgraves probably on a HC audition so I'd expect his group to perform well.

That was one of the criticisms of McCoy last year, he was coordinating for another HC job, trying to show the league how his Josh McDaniels-inspired offense would perform. I hope Musgrave is smarter than that and coaches to his available talent. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That was one of the criticisms of McCoy last year, he was coordinating for another HC job, trying to show the league how his Josh McDaniels-inspired offense would perform. I hope Musgrave is smarter than that and coaches to his available talent. 

You'd think just running the most effective offense possible with the talent you have would be a better sell to interested teams anyway. McCoy turned the Broncos offense into something out of the early 1900s in 2011 and that probably had a bigger impact on getting hired by the Chargers than his season with Peyton. 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:35 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Having a QB who knows how to work the pocket probably makes a bigger difference than any tangible OL improvement in pass pro. 

Granted, having a QB with that ability is a plus. I do not think it's more valuable than the items I described. IE, offensive philosophy tailored to your strengths, moving pockets, quick developing plays, OL play as a unit,..................... Lots of items fit into that category. Basically, the things that have had Joe Montana considered the GOAT for decades. Physically, Keenum and Montana have  a lot of similar physical characteristics. What made Joe great was his ability to absorb and master Walsh's offense and always make the right choice with the ball.

I really think we'll like what we see in Musgraves offense and Keenum could be the perfect QB to orchestrate it.

35 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Heard a rumour that the Broncos are talking to the Jets about swapping Lynch for Bridgewater.

lol.... no way that is true. At least not a straight up deal. Bridgewater actually has a future unlike Lynch. Maybe Lynch and a draft pick. 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/8/5/17653838/marquette-king-already-unhappy-denver-has-to-be-restrained-for-going-after-member-of-broncos-media

So Marquette King is really not making a good impression on Denver's media. That interview he did with Stokely and Bye was brutal. And there are rumors he doesn't like Denver.

What are the thoughts on this? Is Elway patient enough to deal with his BS where Gruden wasn't?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/8/5/17653838/marquette-king-already-unhappy-denver-has-to-be-restrained-for-going-after-member-of-broncos-media

So Marquette King is really not making a good impression on Denver's media. That interview he did with Stokely and Bye was brutal. And there are rumors he doesn't like Denver.

What are the thoughts on this? Is Elway patient enough to deal with his BS where Gruden wasn't?

Supposedly he’s been unreal in camp, but I still hate the King signing for Denver.  No matter how great of a punter he is, he’ll do something stupid (which he’s done throughout his career) and not only players (imagine being a legitimate NFL contributor and your punter costs you 15 yards) but fans who even supported the move will turn on him in a heartbeat.

His attitude won’t last long in Denver, or anywhere for that matter. 

Archived