Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

Lindsay is definitely making this team and deservedly so.  He’s explosive with the ball and at minimum is capable as a 3rd down scat back.  Returned kicks and punts last night and drilled a guy inside the 10 gunning on punt coverage.  Most of these battles come down to special teams play and Lindsay looks the part with that unit.

Freeman and Lindsay should be the first two backs, and Booker should be cut.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:40 AM, 1234567 said:

Oh yeah. Barring injury, Lindsay is just about a lock. Which kinda sucks cause it will prob cost DeAngelo Henderson his spot and I was looking forward to seeing what he could turn into. He reminds me a lot of LeSean McCoy.

I'd wait a while to close the door on Henderson. That said, Lindsay's looking pretty good. 

Has anyone had a chance to focus on Lindsay in pass-pro? 

Honestly, I like all 5 of Denver’s RBs.  Booker, sure he isn’t a hero, but a well rounded player like him isn’t easy to find.  He is a damn good receiver and very reliable in pass pro.  He also has the size to operate between the tackles. I just don’t see anyway Denver lets him go.

Freeman is probably the most physically gifted back this organization has had since Clinton Portis.  No he isn’t as good as Portis, but at 6’0” 230 with 4.52 speed he’s very talented.  Works well laterally as well.  I don’t know that he turns into a 3 down workhorse type, but he’s valuable.

I like Henderson as well.  While short, he has the size to carry a workload.  He’s explosive as well.  Henderson or Williams (whose big and can really block) seem to be the guys battling for a spot.

Lindsay isn’t an everydown guy.  He can’t carry a workload, just too small.  However, he’s incredibly explosive.  Looks like a guy you factor in for 8 or so touches a game (including returns).  He looks to have the physicality on special teams+the speed to be a potentially elite gunner.  Just no way you can justify sending him packing.

Who knows how many backs Denver considers carrying, but I think Booker, Freeman, and Lindsay are locks.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Honestly, I like all 5 of Denver’s RBs.  Booker, sure he isn’t a hero, but a well rounded player like him isn’t easy to find.  He is a damn good receiver and very reliable in pass pro.  He also has the size to operate between the tackles. I just don’t see anyway Denver lets him go.

Freeman is probably the most physically gifted back this organization has had since Clinton Portis.  No he isn’t as good as Portis, but at 6’0” 230 with 4.52 speed he’s very talented.  Works well laterally as well.  I don’t know that he turns into a 3 down workhorse type, but he’s valuable.

I like Henderson as well.  While short, he has the size to carry a workload.  He’s explosive as well.  Henderson or Williams (whose big and can really block) seem to be the guys battling for a spot.

Lindsay isn’t an everydown guy.  He can’t carry a workload, just too small.  However, he’s incredibly explosive.  Looks like a guy you factor in for 8 or so touches a game (including returns).  He looks to have the physicality on special teams+the speed to be a potentially elite gunner.  Just no way you can justify sending him packing.

Who knows how many backs Denver considers carrying, but I think Booker, Freeman, and Lindsay are locks.

Could be the competition is between Lindsay and McKenzie for a roster spot. Can't imagine having both on the roster.

Booker, sure he isn’t a hero, but a well rounded player like him isn’t easy to find.  He is a damn good receiver and very reliable in pass pro.  He also has the size to operate between the tackles. I just don’t see anyway Denver lets him go.

Booker cant be labeled well rounded until he shows an ability to run the football well. He is simply a poor runner. Henderson hasn't shown that well in his limited touched this preaseason, but Booker shouldn't be guaranteed a roster spot. He is a telegraphed pass play at this point IMO. Maybe as a RB3, but I fear keeping him guarantees him snaps as a runner, and with Freeman and Lindsay, that's a waste.

Booker is really a replacement level talent. You know what you have in a running back early, and he was already an older RB coming out of school. Hopefully he can be a special teams contributor, otherwise I'd be happy to move on. 

I still like Henderson's potential, having to run behind the scrubs/taxi squad group have really hindered him IMO. I really see nothing in Williams at all, I guess he'll probably stick around on the taxi squad but meh. 

No doubt Booker is replaceable, but not on this roster.  Maybe if the team brings in a veteran to replace him, I guess.  No way Denver cuts their best pass protecting back, best receiving back (or at least most reliable), and a guy that can carry the ball 15x between the tackles and who has the size in short yardage.

I get it, he’s average at best across the board.  I am by no means pumping him as a great back who is the future.  But he can be relied upon (and has proven that) in literally almost every situation presented during an NFL game.  The same can’t yet be said for any other back on the roster.  

I mentioned this before, if Denver cuts Booker they’re rolling into the season with 4 RBs with a combined 9 NFL touches.  I get RBs transition quicker, but that’s a hell of a gamble on Elway/Joseph’s part.

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

So good to see Watson gone. I think the fact that he was cut makes it a guarantee lynch is cut. Elway is making it clear that having a strong roster is more important than pedigree and salary. 

given he would have to eat another $4.5million in dead cap money - it would significantly narrow the options. For me it might be an indication that Elway is expecting very little from this season and he is clearing out all the deadwood.

would someone take a 7th just to take Lynch off our hands?

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

given he would have to eat another $4.5million in dead cap money - it would significantly narrow the options. For me it might be an indication that Elway is expecting very little from this season and he is clearing out all the deadwood.

would someone take a 7th just to take Lynch off our hands?

I can only think of New Orleans being a good option...if Peyton can do a turnaround jobby on him.    

I can only think of New Orleans being a good option...if Peyton can do a turnaround jobby on him.  

There is no turnaround for Lynch. He is too happy-go-lucky for this league. Just doesn't have the drive, competitiveness or personality to succeed.

Lynch seems like he should be working in the Florida keys on a small charter fishing boat wearing a Hawaiian shirt and nursing coronas all day. Dude just isn't mentally a pro athlete. I don't think there are many players in this league that I share personality traits with, but he might be one. Dude isn't in a rush, isn't hypercompetitive and just seems too laid back and nice. He just doesn't have the drive for this league. Doesn't make him a bad person, or even a slacker necessarily, he just isn't meant to play this sport at this level.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

There is no turnaround for Lynch. He is too happy-go-lucky for this league. Just doesn't have the drive, competitiveness or personality to succeed.

Lynch seems like he should be working in the Florida keys on a small charter fishing boat wearing a Hawaiian shirt and nursing coronas all day. Dude just isn't mentally a pro athlete. I don't think there are many players in this league that I share personality traits with, but he might be one. Dude isn't in a rush, isn't hypercompetitive and just seems too laid back and nice. He just doesn't have the drive for this league. Doesn't make him a bad person, or even a slacker necessarily, he just isn't meant to play this sport at this level.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Paxton here. Not a bad guy by any stretch, would actually probably be pretty fun to kick it and have a few beers with, but a NFL QB he is not. 

45 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with Paxton here. Not a bad guy by any stretch, would actually probably be pretty fun to kick it and have a few beers with, but a NFL QB he is not. 

Yep.  I had pretty much formed that opinion in the last preseason game last year when he started, played terribly and clearly lost the starting job and was shown after the game smiling and laughing giving Siemian a high five.  Some chalked it up to Lynch being a good teammate, but any competitor wouldn’t have been celebrating like they’d won the job.

So Paxton is pretty much gone imo and I think goofy will be too if not mid season definitely by the end.  

Who are the options to watch this season who could replace him at HC?

DeFillipo?

Maybe one of the harbaughs?

Jim Bob cooter?

chris Petersen is a personal fave of mine not sure how he would handle the transition from college 

Archived