Todd Gurley re-signs with Rams 4 years 60 mil with 45 mil grt

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

Goff has two years under his belt. They still own his rights for 3 more plus 2 years of a tag. I mean, I think they've done some dumb things this off-season. Planning to let your young highly touted QB walk 3-5 years before you even have to make the decision would be beyond the pale.

You are jumping the gun a bit. The Rams aren’t planning to let Goff walk. The Rams are great at structuring contracts and managing the cap. I don’t see how what they are doing any different from what Atlanta is doing and has done since Dimitroff took over. I mention Atlanta because Snead was in Atlanta with Dimitroff before he got hired in 2012 to take over the GM spot. During his time in Atlanta he saw them trade up to get Julio when they already had a young White. They drafted Ryan, signed Turner, then signed Gonzalez. That was all on the offensive side of the ball. So what I’m saying is Snead learned from one of the best. Then again the Rams have guys like Demoff who knows how to work the cap well. So Snead and McVay bring in the talent via draft, trade, or free agent signing then Demoff structures the contract in a way that helps the cap. I think the Rams organization knows what it’s doing and quite frankly this offseason is an extension of last offseason and the brilliance of it. But everyone can’t understand that because even last offseason people was bashing the Rams for the contract they gave Woods. Now looking back at it, I don’t see people bash it anymore. It was a good deal and Woods is certainly so far looking like one of the better signings of last offseason. 

4 hours ago, El ramster said:

It’s also showing that this is a 6 year deal?

Which is crazy for Todd. I wouldn’t want to be in a deal that long. 

Length is less consequential than when the guaranteed monies run out.  This isn't baseball.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I mean I think a lot of Qbs could do what Goff did last year in that system, and I think he got overrated quick from the talent around him. But it's not that easy to find a guy.

I could see them kinda saying "We have all these studs, one of the league's top 5 playcallers and you get to live in LA...how about you take what you deserve and not try to get the top money." But there will be a spike in revenue from gambling being legal by then and everything. They should be fine signing him as it stands now.

Pretty much this.  What Gurley received today was an extension, i.e. tacked on to his 5th-year option which the Rams already exercised and which will pay him $9m against the ledger next season (where even with Cooks' new deal on the books, the Rams still have just under $60m in available cap space, presently).

The cap is going to increase several times over (and that's not even considering an further expansion of it that might occur with the new CBA when it's bargained for and agreed - i.e. 2020), before Goff's due for an extension.  That's far enough into the future that it's hardly even worth discussing (unless people are desperate to poke holes in the Rams to try to bring them down - we saw this exact same behavior from people with regard to the Seahawks when Russell Wilson still had multiple years on a rookie deal).

There's nothing (no, an ESPN writer on the Minnesota beat does not constitute anything significant) to suggest that Goff isn't in the Rams' long-term plans (particularly given the same GM who gave up a ton to move up to #1 to get him is still employed).  For all we know they could identify and fall in love with a Mahomes type prospect in 2-3 years and decide to draft him in the 1st (because shy of one or maybe two premium positions, they're one of the youngest teams in the league where it matter) and give him a year or two behind Goff.  We genuinely don't know, but if people are throwing out low-percentage hypotheticals, it's probably more likely that Goff is Alex Smith in these hypotheticals than that the Rams are going to let a guy they traded a good deal of assets to get walk to bank on the system and a backup they themselves didn't draft and draft highly.

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What kind of deals has Bell been turning down?

I'd read that it was a 14 million dollar deal per year with just 10 million guaranteed.  IMO Bell turned it down rightfully so as it offered no long term security.  He'd been on basically a year to year contract.  The Steelers want to be able to cut him at their earliest convenience.  I  think the issue was the embarrassing and insulting guaranteed money more so than the yearly average.  

29 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'd read that it was a 14 million dollar deal with just 10 million guaranteed.  IMO Bell turned it down rightfully so as it offered no long term security.  He'd been on basically a year to year contract.  The Steelers want to be able to cut him at their earliest convenience.  I  think the issue was the embarrassing and insulting guaranteed money more so than the yearly average.  

The Gurley contract - not all of that money being called guaranteed is actually full guaranteed, either. The Bell deal was broken down. Gurley's hasn't been. He's getting more fully guaranteed than Bell, but he also doesn't have Bells issues (knee injuries and drug suspensions).

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

You are jumping the gun a bit. The Rams aren’t planning to let Goff walk.

Yea...that was my post. I was responding to a post suggesting that was the long term plan.

Objectively, I think that this is the smartest move by LA.

Im a big fan of teams extending their own guys early, because as the Eagles have done basically since I remember (both Banner and Roseman eras, the Chip era doesnt count as an era so much as just a giant bucket of poop that we are pretending isnt in the corner).

So! Extending your best and most important offensive player when two years before he hits FA is a great move.

And, although I really dont think we are going to see any other RB besides Zeke get paid this kind of money, you could argue that its wiser to extend him before those guys get paid....

Heres my issue though....and its something that I feel is being way overlooked...which is that the Rams FO, however amazing and just downright the GOAT FO they might be, is making these decisions (cap and personnel) without any regards as to how it is going to affect your locker room/players. They let Ogletree, Quinn, and Johnson go, all of whom were longtime Rams and a couple of them were supposedly beloved by their teammates. Im not saying that the talent they brought in to replace them isnt better....well yes I am in regards to Quinn and Ogletree, since pass rusher and LB are two glaring weaknesses on the team. But Im saying that you are showing your players that you're not afraid to trade anyone or to let someone walk by treating it strictly as business. Yes I know guys, it is a business. But after watching the Eagles this last season and all the things we did in the FO that helped lead to this SB win, I am a firm believer that its nearly impossible to win in the NFL if you have internal turmoil within the lockerroom. 

How do we know Peters isnt mad right now? He just saw Cooks and Gurley both get paid big time, and he himself is up for a extension basically whenever possible for him. And he also happens to he a top 3 player at a premium position, whereas RB and WR are not premium positions( though I love Gurley). Same with Joyner on some level. He isnt staying after this year. And Ive seen the Hard Knocks...if he is unhappy then he will act out and threaten to sit out or whatever if he gets upset. 

Then there's Donald. And look, before you even say it @stl4life07 , I dont care if you "guarantee it will get done", but literally your team is handing out league high contracts to a RB (which isnt a bad decision in a vacuum with Gurley) and to a WR that has never even played a snap for your team. Meanwhile, Donald is seeing all this happen. How do we know he isnt going to feel slighted by not being LA's top priority? Because Im sorry, but if he is , then handing out 16 million a year to Brandin Cooks actually does the opposite of reflect that. I just dont see Donald and LA coming to a contract agreement this year, and that is just bad for LA. Idc about how they can franchise tag him. Its widely known that players DESPISE the tag. So how will the best defensive player in the NFL feel about being tagged?

All this does is add more possible concerns to an already volatile looking locker room. I mean, Im not at all like saying this negatively, but thinking about Brandin Cooks, LaMarcus Joyner, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Ndamokung Suh, etc all in the lockerroom together makes me laugh out loud. Like, talk about just some absolutely ridiculous personalities in there and then mix in Jared Goff , who is as inspiring as a leader/franchise QB as my sisters ferret would be. 

This season for LA is going to be a rollercoaster IMO. Theyre maybe the only team I can think of who has one of the highest odds to win a SB while also having similar odds of going like 7-9 and having an internal implosion, ignited by like LaMarcus Joyner who is angry about his contract or lackthereof and starts to spread that negativity like a wildfire....while Jared freaking Goff just rally this eclectic group of personalities and vets/young guys.

Really, I just dont believe one bit that Aaron Donald is all hunky dory and isnt at all angered and hurt by his teams recent moves.

6 hours ago, LARams91 said:

I bet he's happy as can be. Market is set and he'll expect more than Gurley.

Yea if anything the Steelers aren't happy

Thats alot of money but given that Goff isn't getting paid much at all this is good timing for structuring. Cooks getting 16 is bonkers though 

51 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'd read that it was a 14 million dollar deal with just 10 million guaranteed.  IMO Bell turned it down rightfully so as it offered no long term security.  He'd been on basically a year to year contract.  The Steelers want to be able to cut him at their earliest convenience.  I  think the issue was the embarrassing and insulting guaranteed money more so than the yearly average.  

If that is true it would be foolish to accept considering the franchise tag is more and fully guaranteed

15 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Objectively, I think that this is the smartest move by LA.

Im a big fan of teams extending their own guys early, because as the Eagles have done basically since I remember (both Banner and Roseman eras, the Chip era doesnt count as an era so much as just a giant bucket of poop that we are pretending isnt in the corner).

So! Extending your best and most important offensive player when two years before he hits FA is a great move.

And, although I really dont think we are going to see any other RB besides Zeke get paid this kind of money, you could argue that its wiser to extend him before those guys get paid....

Heres my issue though....and its something that I feel is being way overlooked...which is that the Rams FO, however amazing and just downright the GOAT FO they might be, is making these decisions (cap and personnel) without any regards as to how it is going to affect your locker room/players. They let Ogletree, Quinn, and Johnson go, all of whom were longtime Rams and a couple of them were supposedly beloved by their teammates. Im not saying that the talent they brought in to replace them isnt better....well yes I am in regards to Quinn and Ogletree, since pass rusher and LB are two glaring weaknesses on the team. But Im saying that you are showing your players that you're not afraid to trade anyone or to let someone walk by treating it strictly as business. Yes I know guys, it is a business. But after watching the Eagles this last season and all the things we did in the FO that helped lead to this SB win, I am a firm believer that its nearly impossible to win in the NFL if you have internal turmoil within the lockerroom. 

How do we know Peters isnt mad right now? He just saw Cooks and Gurley both get paid big time, and he himself is up for a extension basically whenever possible for him. And he also happens to he a top 3 player at a premium position, whereas RB and WR are not premium positions( though I love Gurley). Same with Joyner on some level. He isnt staying after this year. And Ive seen the Hard Knocks...if he is unhappy then he will act out and threaten to sit out or whatever if he gets upset. 

Then there's Donald. And look, before you even say it @stl4life07 , I dont care if you "guarantee it will get done", but literally your team is handing out league high contracts to a RB (which isnt a bad decision in a vacuum with Gurley) and to a WR that has never even played a snap for your team. Meanwhile, Donald is seeing all this happen. How do we know he isnt going to feel slighted by not being LA's top priority? Because Im sorry, but if he is , then handing out 16 million a year to Brandin Cooks actually does the opposite of reflect that. I just dont see Donald and LA coming to a contract agreement this year, and that is just bad for LA. Idc about how they can franchise tag him. Its widely known that players DESPISE the tag. So how will the best defensive player in the NFL feel about being tagged?

All this does is add more possible concerns to an already volatile looking locker room. I mean, Im not at all like saying this negatively, but thinking about Brandin Cooks, LaMarcus Joyner, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Ndamokung Suh, etc all in the lockerroom together makes me laugh out loud. Like, talk about just some absolutely ridiculous personalities in there and then mix in Jared Goff , who is as inspiring as a leader/franchise QB as my sisters ferret would be. 

This season for LA is going to be a rollercoaster IMO. Theyre maybe the only team I can think of who has one of the highest odds to win a SB while also having similar odds of going like 7-9 and having an internal implosion, ignited by like LaMarcus Joyner who is angry about his contract or lackthereof and starts to spread that negativity like a wildfire....while Jared freaking Goff just rally this eclectic group of personalities and vets/young guys.

Really, I just dont believe one bit that Aaron Donald is all hunky dory and isnt at all angered and hurt by his teams recent moves.

A lot of assumptions in here but will address just a couple of them. First off you're assuming the guys we lost were leaders or even quality leaders. You also are giving them a lot of credit as being hard to replace. They had glaring weaknesses and the last couple of years when we gave up a big play it was often Tree or Quinn failing an assignment leading to said play.

Secondly Quinn and McVay today and when discussing Cooks' deal have stressed that they're negotiating with multiple people at once and each deal gets done at it's own pace. You don't know that they aren't a day or a week away from signing Peters because of ongoing negotiations. Also in regards to this comment I've seen many times and not just hear regarding Cooks "giving him all that money without even playing a down". Sorry that's just silly, what do you think every free agent signed this year and every year does? At least the Rams got to see him work with Jared in mini camp. This notion that it's something outrageous because we extended him before a regular season game just makes no sense at all.

You may doubt Donald's deal is being worked on or close to being done that's your choice, But we've heard from him and the Rams that they're working on it and nobody, except non Rams fans it seems, are worried about it.

As for the locker room you're forgetting one big thing. Wade Phillips, trust in Wade. I can't remember there ever being a dysfunctional Wade locker room. You've heard from Talib and Suh, both had the choice and wanted to play for him. You probably haven't seen the interviews this off season of Talib and Peters talking about wanting to work with the GOAT. There is always a chance. I know you have experience with your Dream Team failures, that team was lacking one thing, a competent DC. Trust in Wade.

7 hours ago, LARams91 said:

I bet he's happy as can be. Market is set and he'll expect more than Gurley.

maybe next year he'll be happy... I'm talking about right now.

this doesn't change anything about how I feel regarding paying running backs huge money. and I don't trust Le'Veon Bell one bit once he gets paid.

Archived