The official training camp thread

MWil23

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

This is just my opinion, but if I'm a player, I would think it's weird that the GM is trying to coach me on anything.  My thoughts would be, you do your job and what your paid to do which is be GM and I'll do what I'm paid to do and play tight end.  Let the people who are paid to coach be the ones who coach me.   

Peace!!!

Yep. I'm a HS coach, and ME running with the kids or showing them how to do something is normal. If the principal came up randomly and was trying to do it because he played back in the day, that would be weird and I'm guessing my guys would just laugh about it once he was gone.

Again, I just don't care. I care how good Dorsey is at HIS job, not at the TE coach's job. So far he's been okay, so I'll keep waiting and seeing.

31 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yep. I'm a HS coach, and ME running with the kids or showing them how to do something is normal. If the principal came up randomly and was trying to do it because he played back in the day, that would be weird and I'm guessing my guys would just laugh about it once he was gone.

Again, I just don't care. I care how good Dorsey is at HIS job, not at the TE coach's job. So far he's been okay, so I'll keep waiting and seeing.

Say your bo Pelini, not gonna let the president of your college give pointers to your coaches or players?

it all comes down to the resume. The assistant principal at the HS I graduated was a former QB coach at Glenville and coached the likes of Cardale Jones. Actually had him workout at the atheltic facilities with a couple of the players on the team a few years back. Guy doesn’t coach any more because of the time commitment to his admin job. Kids wouldn’t laugh if he add something

Dorsey’s football background, he has the right to step in and share a thing or two after practice. It’s not like he is stepping into indiviual session and over ruling the TE coach. Hell our TE coach was a mainly a scout for Cincy before being named the TE coach here in Cleveland. He worked with TEs during mini camps and training camp when he was with the bengals

we all desperately wanted a football guy in the FO, he will do football things

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

we all desperately wanted a football guy in the FO, he will do football things

No, no we all really didn't. We all wanted someone who would put us in a position to win, to win a lot, and to win for a long time. I could not care one tiny bit less what their background is as long as they do those things.

Again, I am fine with Dorsey doing this. If he enjoys it and thinks it is helpful in some way, sure why not? But it's not a "whew, thank God I have a GM who will go coach up them TEs! This clearly shows that he <3's footballs and will thus lead us to victory!" Like, people who love football are both great and awful as GMs. I don't care whether they do "football guy" things, I care whether or not they put the team in the best position to win. And so far, Dorsey is an incomplete on that with moves I agree with and moves I don't. We will have to see how all of them turn out, and I'm sure that some of the ones I didn't love (Corbett, Chubb, Chad Thomas) will work out and some of the ones I like (Baker, Avery, Tyrod, Hubbard, Gaines) will flop. But him coaching players after practice has no effect whatsoever one way or the other on how I view him as a GM.

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Say your bo Pelini, not gonna let the president of your college give pointers to your coaches or players?

Sure I would, because if I didn't I'd probably get fired. But his pointers wouldn't have ANY impact on my evaluation of his performance as a college president. That's what this argument is about. You are saying that Dorsey coaching up TEs after practice is a plus for him as a GM. I think that's ridiculous and that it is a nothing burger.

24 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Sure I would, because if I didn't I'd probably get fired. But his pointers wouldn't have ANY impact on my evaluation of his performance as a college president. That's what this argument is about. You are saying that Dorsey coaching up TEs after practice is a plus for him as a GM. I think that's ridiculous and that it is a nothing burger.

Dude you missed the  joke,the president of YSU is Jim Tressell. Didn’t say it was a plus that he can also coach. Said it was a plus to see him involved with players and that it sends out a positive vibe. It’s gonna help build relationships with the players and coaches. Having relationships with your players and coaches is going to be a part of the job. It’s not the be all end all like I have started. I wouldn’t not fire him cause of his personal relationship with players and a coaches. Just you have a guy going out of his way, prolly not the first time but the first time it was reported, just giving pointers. 

He isn’t prolly going into team meetings and telling coaches what to do Or telling players to listen to what he does/say over Seamon. Just gonna respect when he is going out of his way to help. We haven’t seen others do it before. 

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Josh at the X

Dez at the Z

Jarvis in the slot 

I would switch it and have Bryant in the slot running short slants.  Almost like a tight end.  The speed isn’t there anymore.  It’s a shame to sign him and take playing time away from Calloway and Higgins.

26 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I would switch it and have Bryant in the slot running short slants.  Almost like a tight end.  The speed isn’t there anymore.  It’s a shame to sign him and take playing time away from Calloway and Higgins.

Or just let Haley do his damn thing. He doesn’t just make a WR mainly outisde or inside. He uses the way he thinks works.  Browns played inside and outside. Bryant played inside and outside. Fitz played inside and outside 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Or just let Haley do his damn thing. He doesn’t just make a WR mainly outisde or inside. He uses the way he thinks works.  Browns played inside and outside. Bryant played inside and outside. Fitz played inside and outside 

I’ll say it like this Dez Bryant right now is faster than Anquon Boldin was when they went to the superbowl

thats what I would pitch to Dez

37 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Also we have no idea what playing time will look like because we have no idea about Gordon 

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’ll say it like this Dez Bryant right now is faster than Anquon Boldin was when they went to the superbowl

thats what I would pitch to Dez

I forgot about Boldin. Use dez like Bolden and Jarvis like Fitz. 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:
6 hours ago, cortes02 said:

This is just my opinion, but if I'm a player, I would think it's weird that the GM is trying to coach me on anything.  My thoughts would be, you do your job and what your paid to do which is be GM and I'll do what I'm paid to do and play tight end.  Let the people who are paid to coach be the ones who coach me.   

Peace!!!

So if your in a business and the ceo comes up to and gives you say a tips to improve sales, are you just gonna tell him to stay in your lane budda boy. 

Or a school administrator comes up to a student  and gives them a tip, should they ignore them becuase they no longer teach kids, Tell that admin they need to stay in the office and worry about allocating resources and work on school policies and looking for new evaluations. 

Now if that GM was like Sashi and had no playing experience and no vast scouting experience, that be weird. Be like him taking legal advice from a player or a financial advisor taking advice from Nassib now

- I just look at it from an experience stand point.  If the CEO of a company has no experience with the actual job that his employees are doing, then they will never have the full respect of their employees.  Also, if an employee values their job, they would never tell a CEO to stay in their lane to their face but they would roll their eyes behind closed doors and complain about how that CEO has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the actual job.

- If a school administrator has experience teaching in the subject matter that the student needs help in, that's understandable but in reality, does this really ever happen?  Perhaps you and I grew up in vastly different school systems but I have never seen a school administrator growing up or in college take a student aside to give them a tip.  They were in the office doing their job or walking the halls to get to a meeting.

I guess you and I have a different thought process in regards to what we deem experienced enough to instruct TE's on the practice field. I could be mistaken but I don't recall Dorsey ever being a coach in football.  I know he played LB in college and the NFL but in my opinion, that still doesn't give him the experience or qualify him to teach/give tips/coach the TE's.  Finally, I do not see experience as a GM/scout as having the necessary experience either to giving TE's tips.  Evaluating talent is different from being able to teach/coach talent.

This is all a moot point anyway.  Dorsey will do what he wants.  He is Haslams new golden boy and that's ok.  As long as the Browns win, he can be GM, coach, or water boy for all I care.  Whatever floats his boat.  I just want the Browns to win.

Peace!!!

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I mean Farmar did it too, just by text message. ??‍♂️

Someone needed to text him on draft day not to take dudes like Justin Gilbert. That dudes drafting dug us the biggest hole during that tenure.

Archived