The official training camp thread

MWil23

Jabril Peppers looks like a cross between Michael Doss and Roy (DrW)illiams. Great athlete (Roy Williams) with the size of Doss who can't cover but plays well in the box. Hopefully he figures it out. He gets a pass from me for last year, but I was a legitimate hater of his pre-draft. He was a great linebacker and wasn't able to/wasn't asked to cover anyone.

13 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Pretty sure Iloka is primarily a SS. He played closer to the line and then as a deep safety in cover 2 in Cinci.

I think Kindred is "on the bubble" in the sense that he is not guaranteed a roster spot. I think he will get one, but it's not guaranteed currently. And he's our backup SS, not our starter.

Sean Williams (I think that was his name...SS from Georgia) started as SS for the Bengals. Iloka was the FS and always has been in the NFL. He's not needed on this team though.

And Kindred is not "on the bubble." He's at very worst, our 3rd best safety. And I expect us to have packages where Peppers plays the nickel linebacker spot and we roll with Kindred at SS and Randall at FS.

51 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sean Williams (I think that was his name...SS from Georgia) started as SS for the Bengals. Iloka was the FS and always has been in the NFL. He's not needed on this team though.

And Kindred is not "on the bubble." He's at very worst, our 3rd best safety. And I expect us to have packages where Peppers plays the nickel linebacker spot and we roll with Kindred at SS and Randall at FS.

#Shrug

We'll see. A safety running with the 2nd team, with a FO who have shown a tendency towards dumping the last FO's depth guys, definitely doesn't feel safe to me.

Iloka might have had a FS next to his name, but the Bengals guys I saw commenting on twitter all talked about his play in the box and then flexing deep in cover 2 looks. Honestly, I think in most cover 2 systems the FS/SS distinction means less than in the past, but that sounds more like a SS role to me. Like, for us, I doubt he'd be on the depth chart as the single high guy, he'd be more likely to be in that Kindred/Peppers category, or possible flexing from there to covering TE's in Dime coverages.

47 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

#Shrug

We'll see. A safety running with the 2nd team, with a FO who have shown a tendency towards dumping the last FO's depth guys, definitely doesn't feel safe to me.

Iloka might have had a FS next to his name, but the Bengals guys I saw commenting on twitter all talked about his play in the box and then flexing deep in cover 2 looks. Honestly, I think in most cover 2 systems the FS/SS distinction means less than in the past, but that sounds more like a SS role to me. Like, for us, I doubt he'd be on the depth chart as the single high guy, he'd be more likely to be in that Kindred/Peppers category, or possible flexing from there to covering TE's in Dime coverages.

Yeah teams that blitz a lot have to have interchangeable safeties because depending on which side you blitz, the S to that side is rolling down into the box as the edge setter. 

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Absolutely should start. Peppers is an abomination in coverage and you can’t have that in today’s game. 

He looked fine in coverage last preseason when they actually have him played near the box. He was awful as the FS but he should of never played that position to begin with 

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He looked fine in coverage last preseason when they actually have him played near the box. He was awful as the FS but he should of never played that position to begin with 

He also did well when he played SS vs Pitt in week 17. 

Going forward, I know it’s pre-season, but Lamar Jackson looks like hot garbage. I didn’t like him coming out, and seeing him land in Baltimore made me a bit worried. But seeing him back out on the field again, not really seeing it. Not sure about Rudolph in Pitt yet. If our guy can be a good one, you have to feel good about where we sit in the AFCN within the next 2-3 years.

32 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Going forward, I know it’s pre-season, but Lamar Jackson looks like hot garbage. I didn’t like him coming out, and seeing him land in Baltimore made me a bit worried. But seeing him back out on the field again, not really seeing it. Not sure about Rudolph in Pitt yet. If our guy can be a good one, you have to feel good about where we sit in the AFCN within the next 2-3 years.

I won’t say I was quite giddy when bmore drafted Lamar or when picksburg drafted Rudolph, but it was danged close. It’s looking likely we will have a five year window IF we can get good soon. Toothlessberger is on oxygen and Flacco is wacco. 

We just have to rely on good ole hue, uhh well 

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/08/fdaa91f6c69211/what-happened-at-cleveland-bro.html#incart_big-photo

desmond Harrison already the backup.  Other good news- pic of Gordon and Njoku together if you’re into that sort of thing

Harrison has already bypassed the practice squad talk. Along with with my boy Ratley. I heard he showed out yesterday filling in for Callaway. 

Good lord help us if we’ve finally found guys that can evaluate talent. Sleeping giant you say buddy boy?

Archived