Training Camp and Preseason: The WRs

WindyCity

6 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Hopefully this year fans will care more about the WR they signed in free agency and the WR they drafted more than whether or not Tanner Gentry sticks as the WR6. You know, a train of thought that actually makes a bit of sense.

WR6 is almost automatically guaranteed to become WR5 when Kevin White is ahead of him.

Either way, both look like PS players to stash away until an injury comes up. Between the WRs ahead of them, 3 TEs, and Cohen lining up everywhere hopefully we don't need to see them or Bellamy running many routes this year. Seeing any of them on special teams suits me just fine.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I'm still pulling for Gentry.  

Love the underdog.

I'd like him to develop into a Ricky Proehl guy. we all want out own Antonio Brown and Theilan, but realistically if you get a solid 3/4 out of a late round or UFA you hit gold.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'd like him to develop into a Ricky Proehl guy. we all want out own Antonio Brown and Theilan, but realistically if you get a solid 3/4 out of a late round or UFA you hit gold.

Agree. Getting players of real value at the bottom of the draft is like found money. Vast majority of those guys never see a 2nd contract. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, WindyCity said:

I just do not think Gentry has NFL athletic ability. Maybe in the slot, but when actual CBs are around him he gets 0 separation.

Bingo. I will say he's looked good in the slot in the pre-season, he may have a role working on those quick/short routes and finding holes in zone coverage.

Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast both reporters talked about how Kevin White has been descending in the last few weeks and appears at best to be the 4th WR, but it appears that Wims is moving on him quickly there.

At what point does Kevin White have to play special teams to have value to the roster?

If he is the 5th WR then traditionally he needs to be on special teams to really bring value for having a jersey on during games.

I've read that he looks fast and is running good routes... just has questionable hands at times.

He'll make the 53 and I think Nagy might throw him a bone here and there (WR screen, go route, etc) but I really don't know if I see him being a major factor in game plans unless (God forbid) someone gets hurt.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, WindyCity said:

Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast both reporters talked about how Kevin White has been descending in the last few weeks and appears at best to be the 4th WR, but it appears that Wims is moving on him quickly there.

Looking at how we addressed the position this offseason with AR12 and Turbo in FA then Miller in the draft I think White as a 4th WR was the expectation. Assuming health and with the strides Shaheen seems to have made this offseason I think it’s a very realistic possibility that outside of injury he may be a frequent gameday inactive. I don’t know that he wouldn’t be a good ST player but I have zero expectation given his durability history that they’d ever use him there. If Wims shows enough to be a game day depth guy this year then that only hastens the clock toward what I think most of not all expect to be a departure from Chicago for White no later than next offseason. Has Wims been playing on coverage teams? I don’t remember seeing him out there. 

IMO, in any other year Wims would be having a difficult time making this team. He probably will in 2018 due to White's durability issues and Bellamy not getting much practice time due to injuries, but in any other scenario, it would be an uphill battle. In the HOF game, everyone was excited but Nagy quickly shot it all down postgame, citing route running as a big problem, and then last week, he dropped an easy pass over the middle. I know it's Chicago and I know we always get excited about longshot WR's- Haas, Sanzenbacher, Barnes, Gentry- and I'm afraid Wims will fall right in line. I could see him strictly being a redzone target this year due to that being his strength, but otherwise, he's just like every other 7th round pick- he's meh.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Haas, Sanzenbacher, Barnes, Gentry- and I'm afraid Wims will fall right in line. 

Wims has far more athletic ability than those listed. Gentry et. al. don't have the physical attributes to play WR in the NFL; Wims does. 

1 hour ago, yomyyo said:

Wims has far more athletic ability than those listed. Gentry et. al. don't have the physical attributes to play WR in the NFL; Wims does. 

Wims can jump, sure, but his speed is pretty average. I’d probably put Sanzenbacher’s hands over his, too.

Mike Hass: 4.58 40... 6.97 3 cone

Gentry: 4.46 40... 7.29 3 cone

Wims: 4.53 40... 7.00 3 cone

Sanzenbacher: 4.59 40... 6.46 3 cone

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Wims can jump, sure, but his speed is pretty average. I’d probably put Sanzenbacher’s hands over his, too.

Mike Hass: 4.58 40... 6.97 3 cone

Gentry: 4.46 40... 7.29 3 cone

Wims: 4.53 40... 7.00 3 cone

Sanzenbacher: 4.59 40... 6.46 3 cone

giphy.gif

This thread his Mike Hass combine numbers...

Archived