Sign in to follow this  
Rockice_8

Training Camp

Elijah Mc Guire. out with a fracture foot, looks like he need a operation. Who knows when he will be back. He got hurt in the Jets first practice. We are off to a bad start with Darnold, holding out and McGuire hurt.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

They said the dispute isn't over offset language. 

It’s anyone’s guess. But there have been multiple reports that the dispute has been about offsets. And this agency has tried to pull this nonsense in the past.

There’s been one report that claimed it was about the language on bonuses. Macc hasn’t tried to pull that stunt before. Not with Adams or Leo.  

Again it’s anyone’s guess. But because of the history of that agency, my bet is that it’s offsets and the agent is now leaking a conflicting story because he is about to cave and save face. He’ll claim he got that language out of the contract.

Edited by SDotNova

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It’s anyone’s guess. But there have been multiple reports that the dispute has been about offsets. And this agency has tried to pull this nonsense in the past.

There’s been one report that claimed it was about the language on bonuses. Macc hasn’t tried to pull that stunt before. Not with Adams or Leo.  

Again it’s anyone’s guess. But because of the history of that agency, my bet is that it’s offsets and the agent is now leaking a conflicting story because he is about to cave and save face. He’ll claim he got that language out of the contract.

It's not about offsets...did you not read what I wrote lol

It's language issues related to his guarantees and how and when they would void.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It's language issues related to his guarantees and how and when they would void.

I saw that report and I don’t know how it makes any sense. He’s guaranteed the money, about 10m base and 20 m bonus, so what is there to void

But there’s nothing quite as breathtaking as NFL contracts that automatically void—contract language that literally makes the back end of deals disappear as if they never existed.

The void date also creates a deadline for a potential renegotiation. If the Eagles want to keep him, they have the chance to try to work out an extension while Foles is still under contract, before has a chance to bargain with other teams. And if they don’t want to bring him back, they can let the void kick in and eat the dead money, which by then might be more manageable for them to do, cap-wise.

Voidable contract years have a history that dates at least as far back as far as NFL’s previous CBA, according to overthecap.com founder Jason Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald told me these devices were typically used in rookie contracts—this was before the rookie wage scale that took effect with the current CBA—and that those clauses typically had a stipulation attached to them that was easily reachable. A player might have had to play, say, 35 percent of the snaps in one year and 45 percent in the year after—the sort of thing that was frequently achievable for most high draft picks.

“Those were going to be earned 99 percent of the time unless you were a Vernon Gholston-level bust,” Fitzgerald said.

Essentially, forfeiture language allows the team to recoup money if a player is injured while engaging in certain activities outside of football, with Silver offering "skiing" and "mountain climbing" as examples.

This may provide some clarity on the Sam Darnold standoff: While the offset clause remains an issue, the major sticking point, as I understand it, is default language pertaining to guaranteed money. Under the Jets' proposal, Darnold's entire guarantee will void if he's fined by the league for discipline or conduct on/off the field. This is different from the Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen contracts. In their cases, their guarantee voids with a suspension, not a fine. Big difference. The Jets' approach is unusual based on recent history. It's believed that, in the last 10 drafts, no top-3 pick had voidables tied to league fines. This may sound petty, but Darnold has a $30 million guarantee over the life of the proposed contract

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You are quoting one report and assuming that’s the right story. I’m assuming you didn’t get pass the first sentence of my post.

edit: looks like there’s one other report confirming the Ian Rap report.

Edited by SDotNova

It's over dumb stuff, Darnold needs to just sign and get in camp. 

And I am very excited that we are getting new uniforms in 2019, that is the year where we could actually compete in if all goes well with Darnold. Could turn into a new era of Jets football where we finally win the SB!  

14 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Darnold's agent is the one to blame.

The clause is standard Jets procedure.

Yeah. Manish reported that Sam is pretty ticked off that his agents are pretty much souring things right now. If they wanted to save face, they'd cave and let the kid get back to competing. Hopefully he goes looking for a new agency after this signing.

Posted (edited)

Wait a second. This is so confusing. The Jets want him to forfeit his bonus money if he is fined by the league while every other player drafted in the top ten, including Adams and Williams only would forfeit the bonus money if they were suspended? That makes no sense and if it is the case I wouldn’t sign it either. A player can be fined if they curse out an official or throw the football into the stands. Why would Mac try to put that language into his contract? Also, if he’s paid 80% of his bonus money up front, do they expect him to pay that back or only bonus money still owed?

Ok I just watch Garafolo on NFL network and he said it wasn’t for those common type of fines but for more egregious ones and that it is written in the contracts of Adams and Lee. 

Edited by Rich51
New info

Yeah when I first heard that the guaranteed money could be voided I was pissed and Mac but the more you read it pretty standard stuff that Sexton has agree to for other recent Jet signings.  Not sure why all of a sudden he is playing hardball here.  

Hope Darnold steps in a says get it done today.  

As for the rest of the team love what I'm hearing about Leggett and Hendon at TE both are making plays, love what Nickerson and Jones are doing at CB which could be a huge boos to the defense as well.  Every update seems to have one of the TE's or CB's making a big play.