Everything Pokemon Thread!

On 1/7/2023 at 8:12 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Decided to actually do research on movesets and items, not the most balanced team but I like how it's shaping up.

Annihilape is destryoing everyone with Leftovers, Bulk Up, Drain Punch and Rage Punch.

Skeledirge Torch Song, Sing, Shadow Ball? I forgot the Ghost move

Baxcalibur Dragon Dance, Glaive Rush, Icicle Crash, Earthquake

Ceruledge Assault Vest, Bitter Blade, Swords Dance, Ghost attack

then I have

Kingambit for Supreme Overlord, Retaliate, Iron Head, Kowtow Cleave

Houndstone Leftovers

Kingambit and Houndstone get attack boosts for every fallen.  Even if I revive a guy who faints again they get a bigger boost.  So when I'm down and out, they can clean up.  Only negative is speed with Kingambit.

I like that team. Lots of new cool Pokemon this gen. 

I've been rolling with Skeledirge (Fire/Ghost), Baxcalibur (Dragon/Ice), Leafeon (Grass), Dachsbun (Fairy), Clodsire (Ground/Poison), and Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying). A few of them aren't necessarily the best Pokemon, but they're favorites of mine and were good enough for the single player. I do need to get some better Pokemon trained up for the raids. 

Almost done with the Pokedex. I have just the two tough ones (Gholdengo, Palafin) to go. 

The Elite 4 was too easy.  My Annihilape took out the first two teams with Bulk Up, Drain Punch and Rage Fist, and I'm not over leveled.

The champ I made a wrong move which cost me two pokes and then I got lucky enduring a hit with my Houndstone then his Last Respects wiped out the remaining guy.  But if I went and replayed I would have crushed it.  Original Elite 4, Lance, Red/Gary were always such a huge challenge.  I think looking up movesets for all my pokes gave me a huge advantage for one hit KOs.

22 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The Elite 4 was too easy.  My Annihilape took out the first two teams with Bulk Up, Drain Punch and Rage Fist, and I'm not over leveled.

The champ I made a wrong move which cost me two pokes and then I got lucky enduring a hit with my Houndstone then his Last Respects wiped out the remaining guy.  But if I went and replayed I would have crushed it.  Original Elite 4, Lance, Red/Gary were always such a huge challenge.  I think looking up movesets for all my pokes gave me a huge advantage for one hit KOs.

Well...yeah. If you're like me, when you were a kid you didn't really do stuff like that, which makes everything harder. I think I had a strategy guide for Red/Blue, so I knew where to go, but I was just concerned with having Pokemon that I thought looked cool. The games were a little tougher back then for sure, but I think in general people misremember the games as being super challenging. A lot of it was just due to people being kids, and a lot of the quality of life features that we have now (shared EXP, accessing boxes anywhere, etc.) make things easier now too. I know a lot of kids probably didn't spend time grinding their Pokemon with random encounters, for example. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

To be fair, Annihilape is kinda broken.  Those 6* raids aren't supposed to be soloable, but he's one of them that can solo the raids by themselves.  You train him up enough, he should be able to run through the entire game by himself.  When you have an Attack BST of 115 and Rage Fist maxes out at 350 BP, there's not much surviving it.

To put into comparison, Annihilape (with max EVs in ATK plus Adamant nature plus Life Orb) would have an 18.8% chance of an OHKO against Avalugg (with a max EVs in DEF and HP plus a Lax nature) who has the highest defense in the game.  Annihilape is absolutely broken.

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Well...yeah. If you're like me, when you were a kid you didn't really do stuff like that, which makes everything harder. I think I had a strategy guide for Red/Blue, so I knew where to go, but I was just concerned with having Pokemon that I thought looked cool. The games were a little tougher back then for sure, but I think in general people misremember the games as being super challenging. A lot of it was just due to people being kids, and a lot of the quality of life features that we have now (shared EXP, accessing boxes anywhere, etc.) make things easier now too. I know a lot of kids probably didn't spend time grinding their Pokemon with random encounters, for example. 

I mean, I wouldn't say the original E4 was very difficult.  Lorelei has Slowbro and Lapras as difficult ones, but as long as you brought an Electric type you were fine.  Water and Psychic knocked out Bruno without any difficulty.  Agatha was a joke as long as you brought a Psychic type.  Lance wasn't difficult as long as you had Ice Beam.   Blue was challenging only because he used different types, but as long as you weren't relying on only one it wasn't that difficult.

EDIT: The original games were very grindy.  The shared EXP made it less so.

I haven't played a poke game since Y. Before that I was pretty much a Gen 1-2 kind of guy. I have access to a  Switch and I am thinking of dipping my toes back into the pokemon water. Are the new ones worth it for a player like me? I've never hunted shinies and most everything else introduced in the later gens. Could an old geezer like me figure the new ones out?

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I haven't played a poke game since Y. Before that I was pretty much a Gen 1-2 kind of guy. I have access to a  Switch and I am thinking of dipping my toes back into the pokemon water. Are the new ones worth it for a player like me? I've never hunted shinies and most everything else introduced in the later gens. Could an old geezer like me figure the new ones out?

Yes.  It's an Open World game, so you're not stuck to a straight-line path.  Just a heads up, they're a bit glitchy.  Not necessarily in an unplayable way, but it definitely feels like an unfinished game.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m trying the Yellow Pikachu remake right now, wasn’t sure I was ready for all of the expanded stuff.