Jump to content

Everything Pokemon Thread!


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I played Fire Red/Leaf Green and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald probably 20 times each on a GBA emulator. Being able to play it at 10x speed ruined Pokemon for me for a while

I thought about buying an older Game Boy just so I could play mobile but there's absolutely no way I could ever play again at normal speed.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so, I have never played a Pokemon game in my life and I know nothing about it.  Think of me as someone who just came from a different planet.  I've gotten some help from people in the Nintendo Switch thread on this.  I've done some research and apparently the games that started it all off were Pokemon Red and Blue and then Yellow.  From what I understand those are all the same game, just different versions that were remade over the years? 

The current games on the Switch Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are apparently remakes of Pokemon Yellow from the 90's?  So if I'm correct on everything so far, these would be the perfect games for someone like me to play, right?

I'm kind of confused because I tried to read on the earlier history of Pokemon in the 90's and it seems like several remakes happened and then.... I don't understand why these current Pokemon games (Pikachu and Eevee) are separate games?  So I need to buy both games to have the full experience or how does that work?

I really want to play this series, but I want to enter it with the correct games.  Is Pikachu and Eevee a good entry spot for a brand new player... and if they are, then I'll buy those and then get into whatever new game they will be announcing later today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, showtime said:

Okay so, I have never played a Pokemon game in my life and I know nothing about it.  Think of me as someone who just came from a different planet.  I've gotten some help from people in the Nintendo Switch thread on this.  I've done some research and apparently the games that started it all off were Pokemon Red and Blue and then Yellow.  From what I understand those are all the same game, just different versions that were remade over the years? 

The current games on the Switch Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are apparently remakes of Pokemon Yellow from the 90's?  So if I'm correct on everything so far, these would be the perfect games for someone like me to play, right?

I'm kind of confused because I tried to read on the earlier history of Pokemon in the 90's and it seems like several remakes happened and then.... I don't understand why these current Pokemon games (Pikachu and Eevee) are separate games?  So I need to buy both games to have the full experience or how does that work?

I really want to play this series, but I want to enter it with the correct games.  Is Pikachu and Eevee a good entry spot for a brand new player... and if they are, then I'll buy those and then get into whatever new game they will be announcing later today.

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eveee are remakes of Yellow, yes. There is always two games that come out and not much difference between them. Usually the difference is one will have 5-10 pokemon you can't get in the other among with other minor differences like timezone (I believe Sun and Moon were set 12 hours apart, meaning they were never day or night at the same time). There is no reason to ever buy both games, I never have. I just pick which one sounds cooler, looks better to be honest lol.

As for Let's Go Pikachu installment, I haven't played it, but it's basically a dumbed down version of Pokemon so beginners can get into the series. However, it's a little different than the normal installments as it takes Pokemon Go Mechanics into it (it's trying to fuse the fanbases together, Pokemon Go is a popular mobile game). You will catch pokemon differently and it'll be based off the screen or controller (I think), think Angry Birds is the best way I can describe. The normal installments everything is buttons which is how I prefer it. Another difference would be in the normal installments you battle the pokemon and weaken it to catch it, while in these versions you don't battle it and just catch it.

Let's Go Pikachu and Evee is good to get if you're a beginner which you are. So I think it'd be a good purchase for you. I just worry that all the subtle differences from the normal installments might put you off. Perhaps buy Let's Go Pikachu but also look at some Youtube videos of Pokemon Sun/Moon or Pokemon X/Y to see how the normal installments play/look/etc.

Edited by BayRaider
Link to post
Share on other sites

Starters look ok. Not good, not bad. 

Most importantly, at 22 seconds you can see a gym.

Not open world, which I think was expected. I would hope that Nintendo releases an open world game, but it would make more sense for that to not be a core new game imo. 

The game looks good aesthetically imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eveee are remakes of Yellow, yes. There is always two games that come out and not much difference between them. Usually the difference is one will have 5-10 pokemon you can't get in the other among with other minor differences like timezone (I believe Sun and Moon were set 12 hours apart, meaning they were never day or night at the same time). There is no reason to ever buy both games, I never have. I just pick which one sounds cooler, looks better to be honest lol.

As for Let's Go Pikachu installment, I haven't played it, but it's basically a dumbed down version of Pokemon so beginners can get into the series. However, it's a little different than the normal installments as it takes Pokemon Go Mechanics into it (it's trying to fuse the fanbases together, Pokemon Go is a popular mobile game). You will catch pokemon differently and it'll be based off the screen or controller (I think), think Angry Birds is the best way I can describe. The normal installments everything is buttons which is how I prefer it. Another difference would be in the normal installments you battle the pokemon and weaken it to catch it, while in these versions you don't battle it and just catch it.

Let's Go Pikachu and Evee is good to get if you're a beginner which you are. So I think it'd be a good purchase for you. I just worry that all the subtle differences from the normal installments might put you off. Perhaps buy Let's Go Pikachu but also look at some Youtube videos of Pokemon Sun/Moon or Pokemon X/Y to see how the normal installments play/look/etc.

Cool, thanks.  I'm really glad you told me this because I thought I had to buy both games.  I played the demo they have in the Nintendo eShop and I caught several animals and got into a battle.  The game play seemed pretty easy to get into, I just didn't understand what a lot of the stuff on my screen mean (like when I caught something, these other creatures would pop up and they all got leveled up).  I don't know where those things came from or what any of that stuff means.

This is probably one of those games I just need to play and I'll learn how to play it as I go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, showtime said:

Cool, thanks.  I'm really glad you told me this because I thought I had to buy both games.  I played the demo they have in the Nintendo eShop and I caught several animals and got into a battle.  The game play seemed pretty easy to get into, I just didn't understand what a lot of the stuff on my screen mean (like when I caught something, these other creatures would pop up and they all got leveled up).  I don't know where those things came from or what any of that stuff means.

This is probably one of those games I just need to play and I'll learn how to play it as I go.

It will give you an idea of how the games usually work. Like @BayRaider said, it was clearly made to try to get people who have only played Pokemon Go and trying to transition them into an actual Pokemon fan, which is very smart. I watched some videos the last couple days and it isn't for me. I've been playing the series since Gold/Silver came out in 2000, so I really like the core experience, and it's too washed down for me, but it looks like a good casual game. 

If you have a 3ds and want to know more what the game that was just announced today will (hopefully) be like, you can get any game made for DS/3DS except Sun/Moon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It will give you an idea of how the games usually work. Like @BayRaider said, it was clearly made to try to get people who have only played Pokemon Go and trying to transition them into an actual Pokemon fan, which is very smart. I watched some videos the last couple days and it isn't for me. I've been playing the series since Gold/Silver came out in 2000, so I really like the core experience, and it's too washed down for me, but it looks like a good casual game. 

If you have a 3ds and want to know more what the game that was just announced today will (hopefully) be like, you can get any game made for DS/3DS except Sun/Moon. 

So Sword and Shield will be more like a traditional Pokemon game for fans of the series, is that pretty much what you're hoping for?

My overall goal is to play one of these games and then start to like the series so that I can get into Sword and Shield when it comes out and other future Pokemon titles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, showtime said:

So Sword and Shield will be more like a traditional Pokemon game for fans of the series, is that pretty much what you're hoping for?

My overall goal is to play one of these games and then start to like the series so that I can get into Sword and Shield when it comes out and other future Pokemon titles.

From the brief two minute trailer, Sword/Shield does look more like generations 1 - 6. 
If you're wanting a core Pokemon experience, the Let's Go games aren't that. As mentioned before - it is merely a game meant to co-exist with Pokemon Go, and while fun in its own right there isn't traditional Pokemon capturing / battling. So you will not get a good idea on how those things actually work from Lets Go. If you have access, literally try out any of the 3DS games (including Sun/Moon), as despite not having gyms - you will be much more prepared / know what you're getting into. You'd have seven generations of Pokemon to collect / learn, all of the different Z-Moves and Mega Evolution, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nazgul said:

From the brief two minute trailer, Sword/Shield does look more like generations 1 - 6. 
If you're wanting a core Pokemon experience, the Let's Go games aren't that. As mentioned before - it is merely a game meant to co-exist with Pokemon Go, and while fun in its own right there isn't traditional Pokemon capturing / battling. So you will not get a good idea on how those things actually work from Lets Go. If you have access, literally try out any of the 3DS games (including Sun/Moon), as despite not having gyms - you will be much more prepared / know what you're getting into. You'd have seven generations of Pokemon to collect / learn, all of the different Z-Moves and Mega Evolution, etc. 

I'm more worried that the game would turn him away from the series. It somehow alienated myself and Cwood with how bad it was

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, showtime said:

So Sword and Shield will be more like a traditional Pokemon game for fans of the series, is that pretty much what you're hoping for?

My overall goal is to play one of these games and then start to like the series so that I can get into Sword and Shield when it comes out and other future Pokemon titles.

That's the hope from me and most of the core pokemon fans. The last "core" game, Sun and Moon, tried a new formula and it didn't work very well. Then Let's Go came out and it's a casual game, so I'm itching to play a classic style Pokemon.

I think pretty much everyone wants an open world game akin to the tv show, but we will see if Sword/Shield incorporates any of those ideas.

I would say that Let's Go will help you get some familiarity with the characters slowly, I believe it just has the original 151 as opposed to the like 800 that exist now. It will give you the classic Gym structure, where you get the 8 badges and then challenge the Elite 4. That's good. It's just the catching aspect that is completely different along with some side things, like riding pokemon

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm more worried that the game would turn him away from the series. It somehow alienated myself and Cwood with how bad it was

Sure. At the same time though he doesn't have the experience from the other games to dampen his views on Sun/Moon like you and CWood.
It definitely wasn't the same "core" experience of fighting gyms - but it wasn't that much different. You even had the Elite 4 at the end.

If he is wanting to know everything that Pokemon is in 2019, he should go Sun/Moon. If he wants the gym experience as Sword/Shield seems to bring back - go with X/Y or OR/AS. I think any of them would be good reference points.

Edited by Nazgul
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...