Everything Pokemon Thread!

2 minutes ago, Nazgul said:
6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm more worried that the game would turn him away from the series. It somehow alienated myself and Cwood with how bad it was

Sure. At the same time though he doesn't have the experience from the other games to dampen his views on Sun/Moon like you and CWood.
It definitely wasn't the same "core" experience of fighting gyms - but it wasn't that much different. You even had the Elite 4 at the end.

If he is wanting to know everything that Pokemon is in 2019, he should go Sun/Moon. If he wants the gym experience as Sword/Shield seems to bring back - go with X/Y or OR/AS. I think any of them would be good reference points.

@showtime

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Why not have him start with FireRed/LeafGreen?  Play the original game with QoL updates.  It still stands up today I think and if you use an emulator they really don't take too long to finish.  

Only issue with that is the physical/special attack types started with Gen4, so there would be another learning curve moving forwards, though probably not a hard one. 

13 hours ago, showtime said:

Okay so, I have never played a Pokemon game in my life and I know nothing about it.  Think of me as someone who just came from a different planet.  I've gotten some help from people in the Nintendo Switch thread on this.  I've done some research and apparently the games that started it all off were Pokemon Red and Blue and then Yellow.  From what I understand those are all the same game, just different versions that were remade over the years? 

The current games on the Switch Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are apparently remakes of Pokemon Yellow from the 90's?  So if I'm correct on everything so far, these would be the perfect games for someone like me to play, right?

I'm kind of confused because I tried to read on the earlier history of Pokemon in the 90's and it seems like several remakes happened and then.... I don't understand why these current Pokemon games (Pikachu and Eevee) are separate games?  So I need to buy both games to have the full experience or how does that work?

I really want to play this series, but I want to enter it with the correct games.  Is Pikachu and Eevee a good entry spot for a brand new player... and if they are, then I'll buy those and then get into whatever new game they will be announcing later today.

Yes and no.  If you want to understand the general concepts of the game, Lets Go is probably the easiest transition.  But it's also a beginner's game.  It's essentially a bridge between Pokemon GO and the core series.  If you're looking to potentially play into the next series, I'd probably go with SM or USUM.  There's enough "hand holding" to introduce you to the series in that game.  I wasn't really a fan of Let's Go, and didn't buy it but it seems like it's geared more towards younger players.

5 hours ago, Nazgul said:

Ya'll hating on Sun/Moon, but I enjoyed it. The Totem Pokemon thing wasn't that much of a hindrance, imo.

I don't mind the Totem pokemon as a niche thing, but as the staple of the game I wasn't a fan of it.  If they used it to earn the Z-crystals and become "master of a type" it would have been fine.  But replacing the gyms with them was too much.  I understand why they felt they needed to make a drastic change, but I feel like they went too far with it.

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I'm more worried that the game would turn him away from the series. It somehow alienated myself and Cwood with how bad it was

We're also a bit more old school when it comes to the games.  We're used to the traditional storyline, and I think that's part of the reason why we soured on it.  Plus, we've been playing these games long enough, we don't need the constant hand holding.  For @showtime, he hasn't had that experience so the hand holding might actually be beneficial.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

We're also a bit more old school when it comes to the games.  We're used to the traditional storyline, and I think that's part of the reason why we soured on it.  Plus, we've been playing these games long enough, we don't need the constant hand holding.  For @showtime, he hasn't had that experience so the hand holding might actually be beneficial.

You might be right. However I think my first time playing Gold it had a sufficient amount of hand holding and I was 8 years old. 

We're not expecting him to learn how to IV breed or train EVs. Learn how to catch a pokemon, the starters begin to teach you type advantages, and the internet provides the rest

Edited by JBURGE

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

You might be right. However I think my first time playing Gold it had a sufficient amount of hand holding and I was 8 years old. 

We're not expecting him to learn how to IV breed or train EVs. Learn how to catch a pokemon, the starters begin to teach you type advantages, and the internet provides the rest

There's a difference when you're an 8 year old playing the series for the first time, and 28 years old and playing the series for 20 years.  Honestly, the best thing showtime can probably do is download Pokemon GO.  If you like that, he'll like Let's Go.  If he wants something a bit busier, he'll probably go into SM or USUM.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

There's a difference when you're an 8 year old playing the series for the first time, and 28 years old and playing the series for 20 years.  Honestly, the best thing showtime can probably do is download Pokemon GO.  If you like that, he'll like Let's Go.  If he wants something a bit busier, he'll probably go into SM or USUM.

How is me playing the series for the first time when I'm 8 and showtime playing it for the first time now make much of a difference? I don't think it matters which game he sticks with, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend the worst core Pokemon game ever made

I counter your "introduce them with an official game" with https://www.rebornevo.com/index.php?/pr/download/ a fangame. No this isn't a rom, it's an actual game made by fans and I've played it for years. It's the main pokemon game I played as my introduction to the series, if you want to get into pokemon this is IMO the best way. 

But also ORAS isn't a bad start given it's a re-make but has all the older things people like about pokemon. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

How is me playing the series for the first time when I'm 8 and showtime playing it for the first time now make much of a difference? I don't think it matters which game he sticks with, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend the worst core Pokemon game ever made

I might be wrong, but I don't think showtime is 8.  The Pokemon games as a whole aren't overly complicated.  Most of them are relatively linear.  He shouldn't really have any issues getting accommodating to the series.  I think the question is should he starts with Let's Go! or one of the series.  I'd say the series, but you're just picking which one.  I think going with anything from XY through USUM.  And I think part of the reason why we disliked USUM and SM was because we're old school Poke fans.  That and the excessive hand holding.