Everything Pokemon Thread!

Just a few random thoughts on what I'm thinking.

1.) I'm pretty damn sure that Pokemon Sword is going to outsell Pokemon Shield by a pretty significant margin.  Unless they're offering substantially more appealing version-exclusives.  Just for the concept, a sword is more appealing than a shield.  RBG really was 3 of the more popular colors.  Gold and silver are both high value metals.  Ruby and Sapphire are both valuable rocks.  I believe Diamond outsold Pearl by quite a bit.  Black and White were opposites, just like Sun and Moon.  Not sure any of them are overly appealing.  I just think Sword is going to outpace Shield by a pretty significant margin.

2.) I'm very interested to see how they take those starters.  Starting with Grookey, I'm almost positive it's going to end up Grass/Fighting.  That wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for Chespin ended up being Grass/Fighting just two generations ago.  I suppose they could go crazy and give it something like Grass/Psychic (think Oranguru), but I'm assuming it's going to be a King Kong Poke.  Scorbunny is going to be really interesting.  We badly need a fast Fire-type.  I've seen speculation of Fire/Electric, but I think that's highly unlikely.  If we're getting dual types, I'm guessing Fire/Normal.  Sobble has the most potential.  Personally, I'm hoping for Water/Ghost, but it'll probably Water/Fairy.  Really hoping that's not the case with Primarina next generation.

3.) Based off of the map, it's going to be really linear which is unfortunate.  We're probably still a generation or two from an open map, but I'm hoping it's not as linear as it looks.  It seems like we start at the bottom and work our way towards the top.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
48 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

How is me playing the series for the first time when I'm 8 and showtime playing it for the first time now make much of a difference? I don't think it matters which game he sticks with, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend the worst core Pokemon game ever made

I might be wrong, but I don't think showtime is 8.  The Pokemon games as a whole aren't overly complicated.  Most of them are relatively linear.  He shouldn't really have any issues getting accommodating to the series.  I think the question is should he starts with Let's Go! or one of the series.  I'd say the series, but you're just picking which one.  I think going with anything from XY through USUM.  And I think part of the reason why we disliked USUM and SM was because we're old school Poke fans.  That and the excessive hand holding.

What are you talking about? Do you even read my posts before you reply to them?

Just now, JBURGE said:

What are you talking about? Do you even read my posts before you reply to them?

No...I try to ignore you as much as possible. I <3 U

But really, I don't think it matters what game he starts with.  For the people who have played before and are thinking about jumping back in, ORAS or XY would probably be better off.  But for showtime, I think he's fine with any of them.

@showtime Start with FireRed/LeafGreen on an emulator.

I'm far from a Pokemon expert but you should start with the original (remake version) game.  You get to see all the classic Pokemon, get to experience choosing one of the original 3, and the game doesn't have any overly complicated mechanics at all.  It's easy to pick up on (and for the most part is common sense) which types are effective against what and then they start to add more types throughout the series.  

The games are pretty easy and shouldn't be too time consuming, I think it'd be most fun to progress through the series and be able to experience the new Pokemon and features in the order they were released. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

@showtime Start with FireRed/LeafGreen on an emulator.

I'm far from a Pokemon expert but you should start with the original (remake version) game.  You get to see all the classic Pokemon, get to experience choosing one of the original 3, and the game doesn't have any overly complicated mechanics at all.  It's easy to pick up on (and for the most part is common sense) which types are effective against what and then they start to add more types throughout the series.  

The games are pretty easy and shouldn't be too time consuming, I think it'd be most fun to progress through the series and be able to experience the new Pokemon and features in the order they were released. 

I agree, I think starting there is the best choice. Get the basics down before adding more complicated things (physical vs special, dual types ,etc). 

Also just the best game in general.

• Like 1

You guys just confused the hell out of me!!!  Haha.

I don't have access to a 3DS or any other Nintendo system.  I watched some videos and they all said that one of the biggest differences between these Switch Pokemon Lets Go games is that you just walk up to a Pokemon you see in the wild and you can catch it like that, whereas that wasn't available in other games.  I need a game that's going to hold my hand and is easy because I literally know nothing about this game or series.

I haven't actually owned a Nintendo system since the N64, so I'm pretty much new to all these Nintendo franchises and have no clue how to actually play any of them.

55 minutes ago, showtime said:

You guys just confused the hell out of me!!!  Haha.

I don't have access to a 3DS or any other Nintendo system.  I watched some videos and they all said that one of the biggest differences between these Switch Pokemon Lets Go games is that you just walk up to a Pokemon you see in the wild and you can catch it like that, whereas that wasn't available in other games.  I need a game that's going to hold my hand and is easy because I literally know nothing about this game or series.

I haven't actually owned a Nintendo system since the N64, so I'm pretty much new to all these Nintendo franchises and have no clue how to actually play any of them.

Do you know how to get an emulator on your computer? Hell I think you can play them on phones now. Gameboy Advanced emulator

Just now, showtime said:

I've never used an emulator.

It's insanely easy.  You play PC games, you can install an emulator.  I think I use Visual Boy Advance.

GBA games aren't intensive at all on your PC so you don't even need to mess with any settings.  Map the controls to what you like and that's it.  Emulators have the added benefit of super speed so you can breeze through the 'grind' of leveling your Pokemon.  

• Like 1

I have a question.  I played through the entire demo of Lets Go Pikachu and I kept on catching the same Pokemon over and over again.  Am I supposed to do that or do I just catch it one time and then ignore it?  Seemed like they just kept on popping up over and over again.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I have a question.  I played through the entire demo of Lets Go Pikachu and I kept on catching the same Pokemon over and over again.  Am I supposed to do that or do I just catch it one time and then ignore it?  Seemed like they just kept on popping up over and over again.

You catch multiple versions to eventually turn them into one super version.

You also kill the spares for ingredients to grind them into said super version.

4 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I need this type of information.  Does the actual game tell you this or is this something you just have to know?

4 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

This, but this method of "turning them into one super version," and "kill the spares for ingredients" is Let's Go exclusive.

In the mainline game there is no benefit of chain-catching Pokemon unless you want multiple of them for whatever reason (or shiny hunting - but that is more advanced).

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I need this type of information.  Does the actual game tell you this or is this something you just have to know?

It's pokemon, there is a tutorial for EVERYTHING. Also the internet if you're confused. 

https://rankedboost.com/pokemon-lets-go/pokemon-evolution-chart/

1 minute ago, Nazgul said:

This, but this method of "turning them into one super version," and "kill the spares for ingredients" is Let's Go exclusive.

In the mainline game there is no benefit of chain-catching Pokemon unless you want multiple of them for whatever reason (or shiny hunting - but that is more advanced).

Agreed, it's GO exclusive and will likely never come up again unless GF wants to make this the standard for Gen 9 for some reason. 

Also that. 

https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee/Pokemon_Candy_Guide_-_How_to_Get_Candy_and_Candy_Types here's how the candy system works. I'd link a video but written form is probably best for this.