Everything Pokemon Thread!

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean there was the Special stat glitch that you could get any of the 151 Pokemon into the games.  I think I had a Mewtwo after Misty IIRC.

That's the one I was referencing. Do you know when you were using it? 

I've searched a bunch and the earliest reference to it I can find is May 2002, and even then people were calling the guy who found it a liar. By then, I was in high school and Pokemon wasn't cool anymore. 

BTW, for anyone playing them, this is the map for using the special stat to generate pokemon.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean there was the Special stat glitch that you could get any of the 151 Pokemon into the games.  I think I had a Mewtwo after Misty IIRC.

I managed to get 2 Mews using the teleport technique as soon as the "!" showed up by a trainer moving from one screen to the next.

22 hours ago, Danger said:

Gonna be honest. I hate how much Gen 1 pandering there's been in recent years. Give gen 2 and gen 4 (will come with the remake) some love smh.

Gen 1 is the OG, so people are going to prefer that.  Gen 2 got quite a bit love, and they've already had their remakes as has Gen 3.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Gen 1 is the OG, so people are going to prefer that.  Gen 2 got quite a bit love, and they've already had their remakes as has Gen 3.

Oh I understand the reason, I just don't like it. Gen 2 needs some love, it really hasn't gotten any in... 9 years now? Also the mons in that gen are for the most part the most in need of help to be useful of any generation as a whole.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Oh I understand the reason, I just don't like it. Gen 2 needs some love, it really hasn't gotten any in... 9 years now? Also the mons in that gen are for the most part the most in need of help to be useful of any generation as a whole.

Explain, do you mean increased movesets? It is a smaller pool of Pokemon, but yeah I do agree, there aren't a lot that stand out anymore, despite it being my favourite gen of the series

Just now, JBURGE said:

Explain, do you mean increased movesets? It is a smaller pool of Pokemon, but yeah I do agree, there aren't a lot that stand out anymore, despite it being my favourite gen of the series

My favorite gen 2, but the pokemon in terms of competitive viability are lacking more than any other gen. Just look at the starters for one. You'll notice it's pretty widespread in Gen 2 that they're lackluster compared to it's peers.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

My favorite gen 2, but the pokemon in terms of competitive viability are lacking more than any other gen. Just look at the starters for one. You'll notice it's pretty widespread in Gen 2 that they're lackluster compared to it's peers.

Gotcha. I assumed you meant competitive. The starters with their single typing and poor spread of stats are pretty meh. 

I lost track of anything competitive when the mega's came out. PokemonShowdown was awesome 5 years ago or so when I played it

Just now, JBURGE said:

Gotcha. I assumed you meant competitive. The starters with their single typing and poor spread of stats are pretty meh. 

I lost track of anything competitive when the mega's came out. PokemonShowdown was awesome 5 years ago or so when I played it

I like the Megas as well as the Alolan Forms of pokemon since it can breathe new life into a pokemon. The Z-Move thing in Gen 7 though is just corny. Problem is Alolan forms were 100% Gen 1 exclusively. Megas certainly had a big aspect tied to Gen 1. 4 Megas between 3 starters and quite a few more gen 1 mons.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

I doubt we ever see that much more done with Gen 2 pokemon. The numbers just don't favor it. It gave us 100 new pokemon, which is less than most gens to start with. And of that 100, 7 were the addition of baby pokemon, 12 were evolutions of gen 1. So already about 1/5 are just extensions of gen 1 in the first place. There's maybe 10 or so that have already gotten Megas or new evolutions (Sneasel, Piloswine, Togetic, Gligar, etc., along with the 6 with Megas.) You have the usual slew of novelty pokemon that will never be useful regardless (Unown, Smeargle, etc.) They've never done anything with the legendary trios.

Truthfully, there just aren't many pokemon left to work with from gen 2. You basically have the starters, the low tier early game group (Furret, Noctowl, etc.), and the legendaries. Just a handful of others you could actually do something with.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, Danger said:

Does it?  I feel like Gen 2 has given us that expectation for multiple regions.  It's something that fans have asked for years, and obviously it hasn't been done again since Gen 2 (and their remakes).  I'd say Gen 2 has probably gotten the most love outside of Gen 1 for obvious reasons.  Gen 3 probably got the 3rd most mainly because of the remakes.  If anything is going to get a buff, it's going to be Gen 4.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does it?  I feel like Gen 2 has given us that expectation for multiple regions.  It's something that fans have asked for years, and obviously it hasn't been done again since Gen 2 (and their remakes).  I'd say Gen 2 has probably gotten the most love outside of Gen 1 for obvious reasons.  Gen 3 probably got the 3rd most mainly because of the remakes.  If anything is going to get a buff, it's going to be Gen 4.

Thing is, I think it's incredibly likely Gen 4 is getting remakes after Sword and Shield come out.

• 3 weeks later...