Everything Pokemon Thread!

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

Oh I see, so if you want to have all the Pokemon then you need to get both versions of the game.  I was starting to read about it then I saw you make this response.

Which game is everyone here going to buy, or are you all buying both?  Just based off the title, I was leaning more toward Shield since I'm more of a defensive person in games than aggressive.  Maybe that makes no sense in this type of game lol.

With trading the way it is now, you can get whichever one and trade from literally anyone to get any Pokes that you can't get in your game.

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

Oh I see, so if you want to have all the Pokemon then you need to get both versions of the game.  I was starting to read about it then I saw you make this response.

Which game is everyone here going to buy, or are you all buying both?  Just based off the title, I was leaning more toward Shield since I'm more of a defensive person in games than aggressive.  Maybe that makes no sense in this type of game lol.

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

With trading the way it is now, you can get whichever one and trade from literally anyone to get any Pokes that you can't get in your game.

Pretty much this, just get a friend to buy the other version or arrange for a couple of trades with internet monsters. 

11 hours ago, showtime said:

I PO'd Shield.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, showtime said:

I was originally planning on Sword.  I almost always end up with the one that is listed 1st among the titles, for some reason (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X, ended up with Moon, because I just bought it used, skipped USUM), but I like the way the Shield legendary looks a lot more than I like the way the Sword legendary looks.  As of now, I'd be getting Shield, but I'm going to wait and see what the exclusives are. 

Edited by jyod21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jyod21 said:

I was originally planning on Sword.  I almost always end up with the one that is listed 1st among the titles, for some reason (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X, ended up with Moon, because I just bought it used, skipped USUM), but I like the way the Shield legendary looks a lot more than I like the way the Sword legendary looks.  As of now, I'd be getting Shield, but I'm going to wait and see what the exclusives are. 

I’m gonna get Shield as well. I kind of want to get the one that’ll be lesser sold this year to be in the minority (Sword is gonna sell way more copies, sounds cooler and the box art is better). Also, as you said, the Shield legendary looks way better. 

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m gonna get Shield as well. I kind of want to get the one that’ll be lesser sold this year to be in the minority (Sword is gonna sell way more copies, sounds cooler and the box art is better). Also, as you said, the Shield legendary looks way better. 

This was my theory and why I was getting Shield lol.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I hate change, so right off the bat the change in format really put me off from Sun and Moon. All in all it didn't end up being a bad experience, still fun, but as everyone says, the hand holding was out of control. No navigation required whatsoever, not with the red flag's constant presence. Meet a pokemon ONCE and you suddenly get it's strengths and weaknesses laid out for you in every subsequent encounter. Ridiculous.

I am doing a Nuzlocke run on US, and the added challenge has definitely made it a worthwhile playthrough. Still easily my least favorite gen, and it brought nothing notable to the table, whereas gen 6 masterfully brought the franchise to 3D.

Gen 6 was abysmal story and difficulty wise. Literally handed two starts, a mega evo for your starter, a mega Lucario, a completed broken EXP share item. By the time I hit the 5th gym in that game, my pokemon were more than 10 levels above the Gym Leaders and I had so many powerful pokemon. Even with the EXP share off it was just too easy after replaying it. None of the characters in XY were remotely interesting, and the Evil Team was the cringiest by far.

I wasn't big on Sun and Moon, but they were better than the debacle of XY. Megas have grown on me for the same reason regional variants have grown on me, because they are able to make previously pathetic pokemon very viable. Now that's not to say that there weren't some that were over the top, unnecessary, and broken, but that's not a problem if you're trying to do competitive mons the way it's supposed to be (singles. VGC double battles are garbage)

23 minutes ago, Danger said:
On 6/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, JBURGE said:

They just can't help themselves

Every gen has to have some dumb gimmick now.

What happened to the gimmick's like friend bases in gen 3, or the underground and poketch in gen 4 :( Those at least didn't impact the core gameplay.

The attack/special attack split after gen 1, the move to physical or special moves in gen 4, the adding of types in gens 2 and 6 were great changes. The mega's, Z moves and this crap are all one time uses that just mess with the core gameplay imo. 

I'm happy with the game if we get two things.

1. A more difficult game, or the option for a more difficult mode (from the beginning)
2. Interesting characters, (at least by pokemon standards). It seems we'll have yet another friendly rival which is disappointing, but look at Gen 6 for the least interesting characters in franchise history.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So..the going rumor is that you won't be able to trade all the Pokes from previous generations into Sword & Shield.  They have to be in the Galar Pokedex.  If that's the case, I'm going to be really disappointed.

It's not a rumor, it's reality. Some thought it might be a translation error but Masuda confirmed it. At least that's what I've gathered.

I am angry and disappointed. This is just laziness, as dynamax is for all pokemon and they don't want to animate the dynamax for ~900 pokemon, I can only assume. They were already going in this direction, neglecting "Gotta Catch em All," with the exclusion of a national dex in gen 7, and now they are actually cutting out hundreds of pokemon from a core series game. It's unbelievable. Certainly won't hurt them short term, and they know it, but they are in for a big surprise if they think they can do whatever they want. If games not only fail to acknowledge every pokemon, but aren't even compatible with them!? These just become repetitive one-off games that come out every few years with a few callbacks. They abandon what made this franchise special IMO, which is the whole "Gotta Catch em All." Completely cuts off the collecting oriented and competitive sectors of the fanbase. Again, let's be real, everyone is still getting SwSh, but if they keep this up down the line? They'll hurt.

I have to imagine they will either reverse this direction due to outrage (not likely with release in a few months) OR have already planned on the gen 4 remakes including all pokemon, and use that as selling point, in which this is just part of cash grab.