Everything Pokemon Thread!

12 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I have to imagine they will either reverse this direction due to outrage (not likely with release in a few months) OR have already planned on the gen 4 remakes including all pokemon, and use that as selling point, in which this is just part of cash grab.

I haven't played pokemon in awhile but people on reddit said something happened similarly with the most recent games and they allowed trading of old pokemon after a few months. Apparently the reasoning was so people were forced to play with the new pokemon for awhile. Is this true?

20 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Not that I do it, but how can you have a competitive scene when you don't have access to all the Pokemon?

I guess they just compete with the new pokemon?

How many pokemon actually see play in competitive though? For that purpose it might actually be fun because I'm sure it keeps the game fresh. But the game itself is about catching them all.

I have zero problem with not all the pokemon being in. You guys think in 20 years all the 10,000 or whatever pokemon will be in? Lol no. 

And it is “gotta catch em all” only in English. In Japan it is “let’s get pokemon” if I remember correctly. 

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a lot of people down about this game in certain respects.  It's one of the great things about being new to the franchise.  I just don't care about anything people are complaining about.  I know I'm going to fully enjoy Shield when it comes out.  People did this same thing with Mario Maker 2 - complained about stuff that was in the first game, but the second game, etc.  Game is amazing to me, though.

I'm saying all of this because the Switch has brought me back to pure gaming.  I'm not jaded like I am with other games I've played for over a decade like Madden, NBA 2K, CoD, where I tend to look at features the game is missing or doesn't have.  The Switch has been great for me.

I haven't played a Nintendo console (for the most part) since the Nintendo 64, so all these games are pretty much brand new to me.  Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, etc.  It's amazing and refreshing.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

There seems to be a lot of people down about this game in certain respects.  It's one of the great things about being new to the franchise.  I just don't care about anything people are complaining about.  I know I'm going to fully enjoy Shield when it comes out.  People did this same thing with Mario Maker 2 - complained about stuff that was in the first game, but the second game, etc.  Game is amazing to me, though.

I'm saying all of this because the Switch has brought me back to pure gaming.  I'm not jaded like I am with other games I've played for over a decade like Madden, NBA 2K, CoD, where I tend to look at features the game is missing or doesn't have.  The Switch has been great for me.

I haven't played a Nintendo console (for the most part) since the Nintendo 64, so all these games are pretty much brand new to me.  Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, etc.  It's amazing and refreshing.

I have a lot of Pokemon I would like to carry over. Bred max EV's, shiny's, etc. It would be nice to carry them all over (and maybe I will be able to bring some), but I still plan on getting Pokemon Shield/Sword when it comes out. I've played every generation of games (including Let's Go and some Mystery Dungeon games), so I will certainly not be skipping out on this one because of that issue. 

21 hours ago, showtime said:

I don't even think it's that.  When you're asking an entire fanbase to switch from one console to another console, you need to overwhelm them.  Right now, I don't own a Switch.  Will I?  It depends on how these games turn out.  You're asking me (or anyone else) to probably close to spend $375 (~$300 for the Switch and ~$50 for the game itself).  You have to have something that catches the attention of the fans that are going to make them invest that much money.  Doing the same thing over and over again probably isn't going to convince those gamers to make the leap, outside of the hardcore gamers.  So far, I'm not sure I've seen anything that draws me to the games, but I'm keeping an open mind.

22 hours ago, showtime said:

How dare you speak of Breath of the Wild when you still haven't gotten it 

19 hours ago, Nazgul said:

I have a lot of Pokemon I would like to carry over. Bred max EV's, shiny's, etc. It would be nice to carry them all over (and maybe I will be able to bring some), but I still plan on getting Pokemon Shield/Sword when it comes out. I've played every generation of games (including Let's Go and some Mystery Dungeon games), so I will certainly not be skipping out on this one because of that issue. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't even think it's that.  When you're asking an entire fanbase to switch from one console to another console, you need to overwhelm them.  Right now, I don't own a Switch.  Will I?  It depends on how these games turn out.  You're asking me (or anyone else) to probably close to spend $375 (~$300 for the Switch and ~$50 for the game itself).  You have to have something that catches the attention of the fans that are going to make them invest that much money.  Doing the same thing over and over again probably isn't going to convince those gamers to make the leap, outside of the hardcore gamers.  So far, I'm not sure I've seen anything that draws me to the games, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I mean, I'll be getting it. I do have a switch so the leap for me isn't that big, but I will give it a try.

However, the game comes out at the same time as the Star Wars game, so I can wait a bit to see what general reactions are for Sword and Shield. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

How dare you speak of Breath of the Wild when you still haven't gotten it 

I know bro.  I'm a terrible human being for that.  I'm def going to get it this year, there's just so many good games.  I was hoping it would be on sale during their E3 sale, but it was still $60.  I know it's worth it at that price, but I'll prob snag it on Black Friday.  Even tho.... that might not be a good time, either.  Luigi's Mansion 3, Zelda Links Awakening and Pokemon Shield all come out around that time frame give or take a month or so.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I thought you had a Switch this whole time.  I see your point.  But I see everyone's point in here regardless.  You all have played the games and have a long history with them, so you have certain expectations.  I was just saying that it's refreshing for me because I don't have any at all.  I get what you all are saying, though.  NBA 2K20 just got announced and a lot of people in the community are already complaining about stuff (and rightfully so).  I'm just so used to being in that crowd.  With the Switch, it's just great to not have any expectations of games except having fun.  I haven't had that in a long time with gaming.

But yea man, you should get a Switch eventually.  It looks like it'll be around for a long time and the game library for it is going to be absurd.  Maybe hold out for Black Friday and get yourself a good deal.