Everything Pokemon Thread!

On 4/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, Danger said:

Closed beta is starting today. Should be 2 weeks from now assuming we can get the last extra missing sprites for characters done, but of course, spriting is beyond me.

On that note

Looking for a couple more beta testers. First installment of the game is fully functional, though there may still be some minor bugs we haven't come across. Additionally the Main Character Sprites still need to be completed, so we're using Gen 5 sprites as placeholders for the time being, idk if that bothers anyone, but they'll be done when the first part is out some time this month.

If you want in early, just DM me. Gotta be on discord though and willing to report any bugs you come across with screenshots and what not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danger said:

On that note

Looking for a couple more beta testers. First installment of the game is fully functional, though there may still be some minor bugs we haven't come across. Additionally the Main Character Sprites still need to be completed, so we're using Gen 5 sprites as placeholders for the time being, idk if that bothers anyone, but they'll be done when the first part is out some time this month.

If you want in early, just DM me. Gotta be on discord though and willing to report any bugs you come across with screenshots and what not.

PM me, I'd test it.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking I want to give one of the Switch Pokémon games a shot next, but I’m not sure what I would be getting into.

BOTW - No dialogue.  No narrative decisions.  Fighting enemies is tedious and feels pointless because all weapons break, the only upgrading is health bars and stamina, high emphasis on puzzles, tracked completionist aspect is a whopping 900 Korok seeds that you probably will never want to complete and 120 shrines, which are places you have to find and then solve a puzzle or complete a challenge to finish (120).  Exploration feels tedious and boring because money isn’t really important, you can’t really buy too many upgrades to anything, and the only leveling you can do is through completing a finite number of shrines.

If that is how you explained BOTW, how would you explain Sword/Shield?

Also, what is the difference between Sword and Shield?

Also, if you play video games solely by yourself and only do offline campaigns, how does that change the game?

Also, is it easily startable and playable to someone who knows zero about Pokémon backstory or lore?

On 4/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, Outpost31 said:

If that is how you explained BOTW, how would you explain Sword/Shield?

There's multiple parts to it.  In it's most basic sense, you're moving around a map trying to collect all the Pokemon and trying to become the worlds greatest trainer.  It's not a terribly difficult game, but there are ways you can make it more difficult.

Also, what is the difference between Sword and Shield?

Essentially just the few version exclusives.  There's a few other minor changes, but nothing that drastically changes the gameplay.

Also, if you play video games solely by yourself and only do offline campaigns, how does that change the game?

Maybe slightly less fun, but ultimately depends on what you're aiming to get out of the game.

Also, is it easily startable and playable to someone who knows zero about Pokémon backstory or lore?

Yes, very much so.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:17 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I've tried looking this one up but no answer.

Are the expansion packs you get with the game (I bought the $80 game instead of $50) only usable after you beat the game?

I have Shield which gets me the isle of Armor. Do I have to get 8 badges plus elite four to access this?

No.  You can access the two expansions after you make it to the Wild Area, which is roughly 45 minutes or so into the game.

• Like 1