Everything Pokemon Thread!

So I got it on Saturday.... and I love it. Just when I was about done with the franchise. This is a breath of fresh air and very much enjoying the grind. I am sure I will get tired of doing the rinse and repeat in every area, but not yet. 

Some new features in this game that are WELCOME additions:

• the ability to change move set at any time? hello? why havent we always had this
  • difficulty is way harder if you don't grind

Some things that could have maybe been explored more:

• huge emphasis on speed and attack/sp. attack considering the adjustment to turn based, and how hard pokemon hit
  • such a small thing but I am disappointed with the currency system. Does pokemon not have inflation?

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

So I got it on Saturday.... and I love it. Just when I was about done with the franchise. This is a breath of fresh air and very much enjoying the grind. I am sure I will get tired of doing the rinse and repeat in every area, but not yet. 

• the ability to change move set at any time? hello? why havent we always had this

• huge emphasis on speed and attack/sp. attack considering the adjustment to turn based, and how hard pokemon hit
  • such a small thing but I am disappointed with the currency system. Does pokemon not have inflation?

So what’s the point besides filling a pokedex? Need an end-goal. This is why pokemon go was so boring after 3-4 weeks of intense play. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So what’s the point besides filling a pokedex? Need an end-goal. This is why pokemon go was so boring after 3-4 weeks of intense play. 

The story, thus far, is good IMO. There are pokemon that are revered and almost worshiped that have gone "frenzied" that you have to quell. The mystery of why you are there, seemingly pulled back in time by Arceus, and how its related to these events is stimulating. 

Beyond that though, the gameplay is excellent. This isn't in any way, shape, or form, Pokemon Go. 

I'm enjoying this game way more than I anticipated.  This style is so much more interesting than the mainline games, for me.  I tried to temper expectations, because I didn't want to be let down, but it has far exceeded what I had in mind.  I hope they either continue this style in a "Legends" spin-off series, or just straight model the mainline after this.  Pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is not anything close to a mainline pokemon game. I don't know what the end goal is because I have been grinding the first 2 areas for 25 hours lol. Like others have said, I am pleasantly surprised with how much I have liked it.

I have never completed a dex (came close way back in Gold/Crystal days) but I have motivation for some reason to do it in this one. There is no way I am going to fully complete it because I'm not a psychopath, but I will probably finish the 10 points for every pokemon. We'll see. Maybe I'll burn out

Edited by JBURGE

Arceus is super fun and I'm enjoying it a lot after playing for about 10 hours. 

That being said, I'm having a bit of an internal crisis while playing it. There's a part of me that wants to get each Pokedex entry up to level 10 before I leave an area and catch all of the Pokemon in the area. At the same time, I've already realized that might be a bit of a waste of time, since I've already spent time leveling up one Pokemon to get their evolution only to find myself catching the evolved version in the wild half an hour later.  I also don't want to find myself super overleveled, you know? 

Any thoughts? Keep progressing the story and catch what I run into, or run around trying to complex dex entries and catch everything? I know I can always go back...

58 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Arceus is super fun and I'm enjoying it a lot after playing for about 10 hours. 

That being said, I'm having a bit of an internal crisis while playing it. There's a part of me that wants to get each Pokedex entry up to level 10 before I leave an area and catch all of the Pokemon in the area. At the same time, I've already realized that might be a bit of a waste of time, since I've already spent time leveling up one Pokemon to get their evolution only to find myself catching the evolved version in the wild half an hour later.  I also don't want to find myself super overleveled, you know? 

Any thoughts? Keep progressing the story and catch what I run into, or run around trying to complex dex entries and catch everything? I know I can always go back...

I would say just complete all the side quests in that area and then move on. There are pokes that are in multiple regions as well (geodude/graveler, starly, buziel, psyduck, etc etc). 

On 2/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, JBURGE said:

I'd give it a solid 8, 8.5 on a 10 point scale.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, JBURGE said:

This is not anything close to a mainline pokemon game. I don't know what the end goal is because I have been grinding the first 2 areas for 25 hours lol. Like others have said, I am pleasantly surprised with how much I have liked it.

I am so happy I finally have a pokemon I can do this with haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...