Seahawks release DT Malik McDowell

SteelKing728

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know you gotta live life and all but if i was a GM I’d have to have something in the contract about motorcycle/ATV stuff man. I know it doesn’t happen often but your career can be done so fast

Sergio Kindle fell down a flight of stairs and ended his career. You can't account for all things and you can't prevent professionals from living their life.

7 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Sergio Kindle fell down a flight of stairs and ended his career. You can't account for all things and you can't prevent professionals from living their life.

Stairs don't have a reputation for not infrequently rolling over on their users and causing serious injuries and deaths

30 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Stairs don't have a reputation for not infrequently rolling over on their users and causing serious injuries and deaths

There's lots of things that cause injuries and deaths all the time - like cars. Therefore, we should mandate all players cannot be in cars, ever, to avoid the chance of that. This, like Kindle, was a freak accident and is really just unfortunate more than anything

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

There's lots of things that cause injuries and deaths all the time - like cars. Therefore, we should mandate all players cannot be in cars, ever, to avoid the chance of that. 

If it could change the past and bring back Derek Thomas then absolutely.

2nd rounder on Sheldon Richardson, nothing to show for it

2nd rounder on Malik, nothing to show for it

That's gonna sting for awhile - 2nd rounders are considered the best value in drafting in terms of the high quality players available and the reasonable pay checks they require. Bennett leaving just adds more salt to the wound

27 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

2nd rounder on Sheldon Richardson, nothing to show for it

2nd rounder on Malik, nothing to show for it

That's gonna sting for awhile - 2nd rounders are considered the best value in drafting in terms of the high quality players available and the reasonable pay checks they require. Bennett leaving just adds more salt to the wound

Yeah, I (and others) give the Seahawks a lot of credit/latitude on the draft but its looking more and more like they just got abnormally lucky one year (Wilson, Sherman draft, Avril, Bennett for cheap in FA) than FO superiority. Can't forget blowing first round picks on Harvin and Graham (Who was ok but not worth a first, let alone him + a good center).

29 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Yeah, I (and others) give the Seahawks a lot of credit/latitude on the draft but its looking more and more like they just got abnormally lucky one year (Wilson, Sherman draft, Avril, Bennett for cheap in FA) than FO superiority. Can't forget blowing first round picks on Harvin and Graham (Who was ok but not worth a first, let alone him + a good center).

I think the problem is: coming out of college, Pete Carroll knew who to draft and who not to draft.  It wasn't just abnormally lucky one year, but a three year stretch.  But the further away he got from the college game as time passed, the less success he had until now the only reliable thing about the Seahawks draft are the steady stream of questionable picks and frequent trade downs out of the first round.  I could be wrong as Pete Carroll is not the Seahawks GM, but it just seems too much of a coincidence that the Seahawks get very good at drafting for just as long as it takes to get a turnover of college talent. 

59 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

How can you say they got lucky in one year, but everything you cited happened over multiple years?

Their drafts from 2010 - 2012 netted them:

Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, Golden Tate, Kam Chancellor (2010)

KJ Wright, Byron Maxwell, Richard Sherman and Malcolm Smith (2011)

Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, Jeremy Lane and JR Sweezy (2012)

Then in free agency they signed Cliff Avril in 2013 and Michael Bennett that year as well, but the nucleus was already there. That's not getting lucky in one year. That's building your team through the draft and nailing two key Free Agents, as well as hitting on UDFA's like Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin.

Post-2012 their drafts became horrible and they started missing on FA's and selling draft picks for rentals (Harvin, Graham, and Sheldon Richardson).

Archived