Preseason Game 1: Titans vs Jets

rdelaney89

Pros:

8 sacks for the defense. No interceptions. Excited to see more of Anderson.

Cons:

Too many dropped balls, Hack had 3 passes dropped that hit receivers right in the hands. Our starting OL better not get hurt because there are no decent backups.

I hope Hack plays half of every preseason game this season, would like to see him behind the starting OL more than one drive.

The game is not being shown until 7am down here in Florida but I was just looking at the PFF game summary. Although he had a decent grade, Hackenberg's average depth of his throws was 5 yards. That has to change if we hope to win any games when the defense doesn't shut out the opposing team. I'm hoping, because it was his first game, that it was the game strategy and  that he will be allowed to go deep as the preseason progresses.  What would be a bummer is that once Anderson left we had no receiver that could get free downfield.

On the bright side Middleton, Pelon, R.Martin, Sanford and McDougle all received high grades. I feel pretty confident that Middleton and Sanford will make the final roster but McDougle playing well would be an unexpected bonus. It's not like Skrine and Williams are untouchable. I think with a good preseason McDougle could beat one of them out. Pelon at 300 lbs will have a tough time making the roster as an interior lineman. Martin will probably be competing against Miles for the 4th safety spot. He's 4 years young so if he can excel on special teams he has a chance.

Really liked the Jets approach with Hack. It looks like they're acknowledging that he was a 2nd round investment and are committed to developing him in a way which they can take him along slowly while building his confidence along the way. 

While Hack took no real deep shots and ended most of his drives in punts, he was accurate on 21-of-25 throws (2 drops) and decisive. Those qualities are needed in the WCO, and being that he largely struggled in the short game, I thought it was a great idea to get him as many reps as possible in that area. When the Jets dial up the play action or deep throws, Hack can rip it, but needed to see that he's improved in the short/quick hitting passing game first. It looks like he has. 

Should be a good confidence booster for Hack. I read that the Titans took away some of the deep shots Hack was supposed to aim for, but Hack adapted and checked down instead.  Very good start.

We need to keep Peake in mind for the #2 WR spot.

Shell played 18 pass blocking snaps and allowed 0 pressures. He's been great since his first day starting. I think he's our guy at RT for the next 8 years.

Run blocking was ugly.

5 hours ago, Rich51 said:

The game is not being shown until 7am down here in Florida but I was just looking at the PFF game summary. Although he had a decent grade, Hackenberg's average depth of his throws was 5 yards. That has to change if we hope to win any games when the defense doesn't shut out the opposing team. I'm hoping, because it was his first game, that it was the game strategy and  that he will be allowed to go deep as the preseason progresses.  What would be a bummer is that once Anderson left we had no receiver that could get free downfield.

On the bright side Middleton, Pelon, R.Martin, Sanford and McDougle all received high grades. I feel pretty confident that Middleton and Sanford will make the final roster but McDougle playing well would be an unexpected bonus. It's not like Skrine and Williams are untouchable. I think with a good preseason McDougle could beat one of them out. Pelon at 300 lbs will have a tough time making the roster as an interior lineman. Martin will probably be competing against Miles for the 4th safety spot. He's 4 years young so if he can excel on special teams he has a chance.

I didn't really notice him much but Josh Martin the LB played lights out all game. 

Also side note I love that Mo, Sheldon, and Leo ran sprints during the first half timeouts. I'd love to see more guys do it with them as like a team bonding type ritual 

Archived