Ozzy's NFL Draft Prospect thread - (Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

Bowl Season

*Shaquem Griffin SR OLB UCF:  Played an outstanding football game, probably the best game he has played all season long arguably, was all over the field as a pass rusher and was really active as a tackler.  Great story and great to see him go out the way he did in a huge win for that program.  Really athletic performance by him, just on effort and perseverance alone he should get drafted.

*Matt Boesen SR OLB TCU:  I need to watch a little more of him but kid looks like a real player as a OLB pass rusher.  Good quickness off the ball and ability to hold the edge enough and get pressure on the QB.  Really interesting 3/4 OLB prospect and could easily sneak into the 2nd round with a good combine workout and maybe even higher.  Nice athlete with a lot of potential as a pass rusher, really interesting 3/4 OLB prospect I think.

*Tommy Sweeney RS JR TE Boston College:  Played an outstanding football game and probably was the best game of his season by far.  Really productive in the passing game and showed great ability after the catch for a big tight end.  Nice looking athlete, and if he keeps up that kind of production he could be a nice mid round prospect if not higher, really played well in that game and was a monster as a pass catcher.  

*Gary Johnson JR OLB Texas:  Liked him late this season and thought he played great in this bowl game without Jefferson in there at OLB.  Love his athletic ability and his speed, kid can fly around out there and make plays.  Tons of upside with that kind of speed at linebacker, can bring some toughness tackling as well, if he comes back should be one of the better OLB in the nation and could have a really fine season.

*Zach Allen JR DE Boston College:  Outstanding game by him, very big solid defense end and really can hold the edge well and control the tackle at times.  Very promising looking talent that has really come on this season, could be a higher end pick potentially if he comes back for another season at his size with his ability.

*Andrew Van Ginkel JR OLB Wisconsin:  Just another guy, where they get them all from over and over again.  Has made huge plays off the edge intercepting passes that really changed the course of two games.  Long athletic pass rusher and gives great effort like all their guys do.  Will see how he does next year, could really breakout into being an elite outside pass rusher from the LB spot and potentially be a really solid draft pick.

*Anfernee Jennings RS SOPH OLB/DE Alabama:  Played his best game of the season by far, was really impressive off the edge as a pass rusher and really consistent as well.  Made some solid lineman look pretty bad in that game, really too bad that he got injured late.  Really too bad he is out for the championship game, but nice to see him being productive and providing them a much needed outside pass rusher from the LB spot.  

*Joe Gaziano RS SOPH DE Northwestern:  Extremely impressive game by him, really active pass rusher that consistently got into the backfield.  Has had a fine season and is a real surprise talent I think.  Could become a big time player potentially with another good year, was very consistent in this game and got good pressure throughout and gained good penetration.

*Lowell Lotulelei SR DT Utah:  Wish he would have played like that all season long, has been a solid player for awhile but wish he showed this kind of pass rushing ability consistently.  Along with Mokofisi they dominated that football game inside, controlled basically everything and Lotuelei played up to his potential for sure.  Still overall with how he has played this year might be a mid round draft pick, maybe 3rd round but potentially he has a lot of upside and talent that is for sure. 

*Nick Kaltmayer RS SOPH OT Kansas State:  Impressed a lot I thought filling in for Risner at OT.  Very tall kid but is a solid athlete with good feet.  Still has work to do but really impressed in that game and handled himself quite well and made some really key blocks for some big offensive plays.  Nice talent, will see how he does next year for sure, really like his upside and athletic ability for his size.  

*Ross Blacklock RS FR DT TCU:  I was very impressed with this big boy, is a really wide body and a very active tackle who plays with a lot of passion.  Was a real force in the middle I thought and has a lot of upside.  Big wide body who can move, nice looking talent overall.

*Kendall Sheffield SOPH CB Ohio State:  Could say he played his best game this year with how active he was getting his hands on the football and showed good toughness as a tackler.  Was hoping to see more of that from him this season, nice game by him though for sure, really active in a big effort against a good passing football team.  

*Sutton Smith RS SOPH OLB Northern Illinois:  Have to love the effort he gives on the edge rushing the passer.  Extremely active and productive player, just goes all out at all times.  Is not the most physically impressive talent though, not very big or tall but could transition potentially to a OLB with pass rush skills.  Is very hard to handle in the college game off the edge.  See how he does next year when all the attention will be on him game in and game out, not sure he has the size to play a 3/4 OLB will see.  

*Christian Kirk JR WR Texas A&M:  Seems like he should have been playing like this all season long, then again the QB play has been more than just suspect.  Really nice looking talent with his return potential and overall speed.  A for sure 2nd round pick and with a good workout and 40 could sneak his way into the 1st if things turn out well.  Really did show out in the bowl game though and arguably played better than any of the other top rated receivers in bowl games.

*Nick Bosa SOPH DE Ohio State:  Had a great game and is really living up to the hype especially this season.  I still feel his brother Joey is an overall better prospect but Nick is not far behind, wonderful use of hands and strength, very versatile pass rusher that should be a lock top 5 pick potentially when he comes out if he continues to improve next season.  Really promising DE prospect for sure.

*Stanford Samuels III FR CB Florida State:  Nice to see him finally play well at corner, same can be said with his teammate Taylor as well.  Made some good plays in this game and got his hands on some passes, really promising young corner with his length and speed.  Will see how he is next year, did not play up to par considering his talent this season in terms of making plays consistently on the field.

*AJ Dillion FR RB Boston College:  Is a monster back and had a good solid game, physically he is very impressive and will be extremely interesting to see how he does next year with more of the focus on him.  Really strong runner and great to see an old fashion run team who will give the back consistent carries, really breakout freshman and is arguably just as good as Taylor on Wisconsin behind not as talented of a OL.

*Chavis Dickey SR OG UCF:  Showed some impressive toughness and drive in that game, got good push and was consistent blocking down field and opened up a few big plays.  Still is probably just a late round pick if that but interesting talent at guard and is a big man that can move pretty well.

*Deandre Baker JR CB Georgia:  Not an elite talent but have to like how he competes out there and has pretty solid mirror ability as a cover man.  Decent size, is a little stiff at times but a promising cover man especially since he has another year to work on his game.

*Jacob Tuioti-Mariner SR DE UCLA:  Was all over the place making plays in that game I thought, extremely productive performance by him and a solid overall prospect.  Could potentially be a fine 3/4 DE especially if he can get after the QB like that consistently.  Should be a mid to late round prospect potentially if he works out well.

*Sam Hubbard JR DE/OLB Ohio State:  Great game by him, was dominating in his pass rush and really got after Darnold and made him very uncomfortable.  Has come on really strong of late and could easily be a 1st round pick in the draft if he works out well, as a 3/4 OLB he is extremely interesting and could also play 4/3 DE as well, very versatile talent with a lot of upside.

*David Long Jr RS SOPH OLB West Virginia:  Mentioned him earlier in the year, had a great bowl game getting after the QB.  Love his quickness and how hard he is to handle off the edge.  Can really get off blocks and is a nice speed linebacker who can make plays behind the line of scrimmage.  One of the best OLB prospect in the nation I feel next year potentially with his speed and playmaking potential.  

*Kolton Miller RS JR OT UCLA:  I really like how he moves his feet as a tackle, still gets off balance at times but for his size he moves really well.  Could be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round I think and potentially be a starting tackle in the NFL.  Has improved a lot this year in pass pro and has a lot of size and athletic tools to work with.

*Kenny Young SR ILB UCLA:  Not a giant fan of his but gives good effort on a pretty bad UCLA defense.  Could be a nice 3/4 ILB, is a tough tackler and physical player when he wants to be and a pretty consistent tackler.  Could maybe be a late round pick and again I think would be best in a 3/4 where he does not have to do as much, sure does play hard and consistently which is great.

*Nevelle Clarke RS SOPH CB UCF:  Still need to watch a lot more of him but physically he is impressive out there as a corner.  Will see how he develops next year, has some upside with that strength and length at that position, but was part of a defense that played out of their mind good against a top opponent compared to what they did earlier in the year.

*Roquan Smith JR ILB Georgia:  Love his form tackling and power at the inside linebacker position.  Have had him as a 1st round prospect for awhile this year but is further playing up to that potential.  Really tough tackler who could be a great 3/4 ILB with that power and speed.  Will be fun to watch in that championship game against some tough physical runners.

*Trysten Hill SOPH DT UCF: Impressive big boy that made a lot of plays I thought.  Did not notice much of him earlier in the year but was a real force out there at times in this game, really big wide body and moves quite well for his size.  Was playing great and arguably the best he has all season like many of the UCF defenders, fine performance by all of them as a group.

*Akrum Wadley SR RB Iowa:  Had a nice game and really has had a great senior season.  Showed a lot of potential as a kick return man in this game as well which is interesting.  Great in open space making defenders miss, a very solid 2nd tear RB prospect in the up coming draft for sure, has a lot of versatility and runs hard for a back his size.  

*Tyler Clark SOPH DT Georgia:  Very impressed with the pressure he got in the backfield this game.  Made a few big impact plays I thought and could potentially be a real force at 3/4 DE spot.  Big strong kid, is part of a much improved and quite talented DL on Georgia with a lot of big strong DE/DT types.   See how he does in the title game coming up.

*Jakobi Meyers SOPH WR NC State:  Have mentioned him a few times already this year and had a good finish to the season.  Really like his agility and quickness for a big tall receiver.  Has a nice burst and surprising make you miss ability despite being a long lean athlete.  Like I have said before is part of a fine NC State receiving core and is a really promising young receiver with a lot of upside and potential.  

*Cam Serigne SR TE Wake Forest:  Have not followed him much this year but did impress a lot in the bowl game.  Showed big time stretch TE ability making plays down field as a pass catcher.  Is more of a middle of the pack tight end in this draft and might be a HB type as well, but with his pass catching skills is a interesting talent being able to stretch the field vertically.  

Kenneth Murray FR OLB Oklahoma:  Was very impressed with his quickness and athletic ability at linebacker, really moved well out there and made a lot of big time plays I thought.  Still has a ways to go but as an athletic speed linebacker he is one to watch for, looks like a solid player potentially.

*Jordan Agasiva JR OG Utah:  I need to see more of him but was pretty nasty out there as a run blocker which was great.  One to watch for next year on Utah, has some good toughness and grit about him, part of a usually solid OL on Utah who produces a good amount of NFL talent of late.  

Others who impressed:

Miles Boykin JR WR Notre Dame

Jayd Kirby SR OLB Kansas State

Darnay Holmes FR CB UCLA

TJ Brunson SOPH ILB South Carolina

James Skalski SOPH ILB Clemson

DeeJay Dallas FR RB Miami FL

Yetur Gross-Matos FR DE Penn State

Austin Joyner SOPH CB Washington

DeMarkus Acy SOPH S Missouri

Terez Hall JR OLB Missouri  

Tyler Taylor FR OLB LSU

Disappointed:

Sam Darnold RS SOPH QB USC -   Not a good showing for him, and wow he has small hands it seems.  Would explain his constant fumble problems which are potentially a huge issue at the next level.  Did not get much help from the guys around him but of course not the best showing for him against a top notch defense.  Will be very interesting what choice he makes coming up about the draft.  

Malik Rosier RS JR QB Miami FL -   Has had a rough few weeks, was not very good in this bowl game.  Missed a lot of throws and yes was missing a lot of targets who were injured as well.  Just not a very confident passer, lucky for him he still has another year to develop.  Impressive first year as a starter early on but he needs to be more consistent throwing the football and managing the game overall.

Denzel Ward JR CB Ohio State -   Just rubs me the wrong way with him sitting out a huge bowl game for Ohio State against a very good passing football team and one of the better QBs in the nation.  One would think he would want to play in such a game but I guess not.  One would think he could not wait to play in a game against a top tear QB but I guess not.  Is not the only one to sit out the bowl game but is one of the few who did not have major injuries this season.  Has shown fine pass coverage skills this year but still his production is very lacking.  As a prospect he is not even close to what Lattimore was last year as a cover man.  But since he went to Ohio State he will be drafted high potentially.  Kind of like Eli Apple and things going so well for him at the next level after being way over drafted as the 10th overall pick.  Good cover man, but again out of all the guys who sat the bowl game he was very curious as to why.  

Brandon Peters RS FR QB Michigan -   Did not look confident throwing the football and almost made it looked painfully hard to do so.  Has a good arm a nice technique but mentally he has a long ways to go still. Flashed this year but really struggled in this game when under pressure late in the game.  Will have a very hard time beating out McCaffrey or Patterson next year for Michigan as the starting QB.  In a way though what is just as disappointing for Michigan is that OL, has a lot of depth and talent but they have not played well and really struggled to run the ball.  Not to mention there ton of tight ends and receivers who were not all that productive, but ultimately could all come back to the QB, curious if they can fix that situation.

Jalen Hurts SOPH QB Alabama -   Man he cannot throw the football, lucky for him that defense played out of their mind and the RBs got some yards.  Sure he is tough and mentally calm I suppose but his throwing ability makes some solid receiver prospects look bad because they never get a chance to make a play.  Pretty sad when Kelly Bryant is a better passer than you and he is not that great of a passer but has way more touch and anticipation than Hurts does.  That one time in the pocket he stood completely flat footed and still, I mean come on what is that?  Even as a runner he has not been great this year either, will see how he does in the title game.  

Chasz Wright RS JR OG Penn State -   Have not been impressed with his play this year, there is a reason he is not a full time starter.  Thought he showed potential last year but has not developed much, will see how he does next year when he should be a full time starter and thankfully for him he still will have time to develop.  Still think he is more of a guard and not a tackle, did not impress in this game the little he did play.

NOTE To those other prospects who sat the bowl game.  Look at Bryce Love, he was a walking injury most of the year especially late this year.  At times he could not even walk over to the sideline barely after a play without looking crazy uncomfortable and in pain.  Now he had a bowl game, it was not a major bowl game but he played, played well in a loss.   If anyone should have said out the bowl game it should have been him, now did he.....
Ron-Swanson-No.gif

One should like and enjoy playing football one would think, enjoy playing with and for your teammates.  Not sit out to avoid an injury because it is your last game.  

I have said in other threads, I was very impressed with McKenzie Milton SOPH QB UCF.  His accuracy and decision making reminded me of Russell Wilson ( to name another height challenged QB).  I have no idea if Milton will be drafted but he sure looked like  Drew Brees or Russell Wilson in their college days.

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

I have said in other threads, I was very impressed with McKenzie Milton SOPH QB UCF.  His accuracy and decision making reminded me of Russell Wilson ( to name another height challenged QB).  I have no idea if Milton will be drafted but he sure looked like  Drew Brees or Russell Wilson in their college days.

Yeah, I liked Milton a lot last year and thought he showed great toughness and had a nice quick release.  Had a great year this season for sure.  Not sure I would call him Brees or Russell Wilson just yet however.  He is not at the level of Baker Mayfield in college as a passer but is obviously still young.   But in college now a days it is not rare to have small QBs succeed with the likes of Trace McSorley and others and next year Kyler Murray has potential to do very well also.  Does not mean either are great NFL prospects however, still have a long ways to go but time to improve.  Both McSorley and potentially Murray will rely a ton on their ability to run, and Milton does that at times as well, especially against a top defense in Auburn.  Not always the best sign, even Mariota who I thought really relied on that ability to run in college still does it in the NFL and is not yet a great pocket passer and that limits him. 

Even Cam Newton, a much bigger QB but still wants to run and does a lot, thus is not developed a good pocket passing ability and really struggles when things get tight and he is not allowed freedom to move around.  So always a little suspect on run first QBs where that is arguably their best ability, not sure that is Milton though.  Will see how he does next year with a new coach and greater expectations.

26 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

to be fair, Bryce Love may still end up staying in college.

Maybe, but if anyone especially as a RB should have sat out the bowl game because of injury throughout the year it would be him.  And if he does come out could arguably be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.  Saquon Barkley who is what I feel the #1 pick in the draft, he played as well.  Listening to his explanation after the game as to why he played should exactly be the mindset of a football player.  Savoring the opportunity to play another game with your teammates and for your school instead of leaving and forward thinking one foot out the door before the season is even officially over.  

Chasz Wright had an ankle injury early and really never came back after that.  James Franklin subtly hinted (at least in my interpretation) that he really struggled mentally with returning from injury.

I would be surprised if Wright even started as a senior, just due to younger guys passing him

13 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Can I get your thoughts on DJ Moore please?

He is a interesting prospect, almost like a little RB out there at WR with how he is built.  Good quickness in a small space, has decent speed but will be really key what he runs at the combine.  Right now is more of a mid to late round prospect, still a little inconsistent for me and would have been a higher pick if he came back for his senior year I think.  Had a few great games though this year, has good quick hands and does not allow the DB to track his hand movement because he waits till the last second to go get it.  Interesting toughness as a pass catcher as well, but again speed for him is huge and not sure he is that amazingly fast, has good enough speed though.  Interesting prospect though and could be a good potential slot receiver at the next level. 

Championship Games:

*Tua Tagovailoa FR QB Alabama:  What a game, will go down in the history books for that one.  Basically saved their season and turned the game completely around, would be shocked if Hurts is ever the starting QB again outside of injury from Tua.  Is a left hander, has a live arm and showed great confidence passing the football in a pressure packed situation with a backup OT in the game and OG.  Looks like a wonderful person as well with outstanding character and is an outstanding teammate.  Great looking prospect and really excited to watch him next year as most likely being the full time starter.  

*Da'Ron Payne JR DT Alabama:  Had a great playoff and a great championship game, such a beast inside and so good against the run.  Very hard to move and has lived up to his potential this year.  Lock 1st round pick I think and possibly the 2nd DT drafted, will see but has out played the other top ranked tackles arguably, only DT I would take over him is Vea potentially.

*Najee Harris FR RB Alabama:  Nice to see him get in and play great late, was far more effective than Bo or Damien in that game.  Great overall talent and seems to be better running out of the shotgun without a FB than the other backs who are a little more traditional backs.  Before the year I had Harris as the #1 freshman  RB based on spring game performances.  Taylor on Wisconsin and Dillion might be ahead of him with their production this year in the season but talent wise Harris is just as good and more athletic than both arguably.  See how he does next year as potentially the #1 back with Harris being #2.  

*Darrious Carter JR DE/OLB JMU: Extremely promising looking linebacker who could play in a 3/4 or 4/3.  Great looking athlete with awesome quickness off the edge, could be a very solid talent next season and basically played in the backfield all game long and was extremely productive.  Very good quickness and ability to get off of blocks, real player to watch next year.

*Derrek Tuszka SOPH DE NDSU: Played a great game as well on the edge, really got a lot of pressure on the QB and has a good solid build to him.  Nice looking talent for down the road no doubt, one to see how he develops.  Could be a monster pass rusher if he keeps getting strong and working on his technique.  Played a real solid game and was very key to the victory.

*Roquan Smith JR ILB Georgia:  Is the clear cut #1 ILB and I have had him that way for awhile now.  Kid is a heat seeking missile when he gets a clear path to the football.  Love his toughness and physical ability to tackle and get players down.  Good speed in open space good getting after the ball carrier.  Could be a monster in a 3/4 defense potentially and a tackling machine.  Would be shocked if he is not a 1st round pick in the draft, has had a great season and had a great game when not many other Georgia defenders stood out.  Will see if he comes out early because really he should I feel.

*Deionte Thompson RS SOPH S Alabama:  Showed some nice quickness and versatility at safety, has good length and is a solid tackler despite being a some what skinny safety.  Good athletic ability and like his potential in the box on the blitz.  Has nice potential and should be the man back there next year after they lose almost every good defensive back they have. To reload will be very hard.  They loose both other starting corners and the nickle corner to graduation and the backups all have little to zero experience outside of Thompson and both starting safeties are gone as well.  So will be very interesting how he does next year for sure.

*Sony Michel SR RB Georgia:  Such a smooth running back with such big play potential.  His ability to catch the football and still be a physical runner is very impressive.  Could be a great pick up and his draft stock is climbing pretty high, could now be a 2nd or 3rd round pick I think with how great he has played later on this year.  Had an awesome Rose Bowl and was effective when given the chance in this game as well, surprising physical toughness against a strong run defense.

*Easton Stick JR QB NDSU:  Brought him up a few times, is a very interesting QB talent and did a good job leading his team to victory.  Did not have a great game but was going up against a fine defense with a ton of pass rushers on it.  He is a good game manager for sure and made some really nice tight window throws that made the receiver look really good.  Really fine prospect and could be a steal for someone at the next level, see if he can make it two in a row title wise next year on what will be another fine NDSU team.

*Jimmy Moreland JR CB JMU:  Mentioned him before, very solid cover man with good length and great ball skills.  Smooth out there in coverage for sure and one to watch out for next season, interesting talent with a lot of upside at the corner position.  Good reaction on the football but is a little frail despite having good arm length.  

*Jake Fromm FR QB Georgia:  Had a solid game but struggled late, has been a game manager from day one.  Always have been surprised he beat out Eason but he is better with the small things and makes more accurate passes.  Does have a weak arm though it seems, see if he can improve that as his career moves forward.  He did get a lot better passing the football later in the year especially the playoff.  See if he can continue that, because right now nothing about him makes one think he is this super star QB.  Could say Tua looked better in just one half because he has better arm talent in seems than Fromm.  Will see, one to watch for and see how he develops, great performance by him though all year and a solid prospect just not sure how elite he is just yet.  

*Raekwon Davis SOPH DE/DT Alabama:  Have brought him up a few times this season, had a strong game I think with that one amazing play.  Really rounding into form and is becoming a great 3/4 DE prospect or even potential DT prospect in a 4/3 as well.  Love his overall length and size, really brings some power to his game and is has potential to be a top 20 pick next year, really has come on strong this season overall.

*Mecole Hardman SOPH WR Georgia:  Very impressive speed and slot receiver, beat a Bama defense deep that rarely if even gives up long plays like that.  Has fine return potential as well and is a nice weapon out there.  See how he does next year and should be an even bigger part of the offense potentially.

*Trenton Thompson JR DE/DT Georgia:  Did wildly impress on his ability to run down field and make plays on the football.  Showed great effort and athletic ability.  However overall I think he was out played by many other DEs on that roster, has not been quite the same player since the injury it seems.  Very athletic talent but was completed handled at times by a backup guard for Alabama who is actually a center.  Could not get off the block, with that much athletic speed does struggle getting off blocks at times, but there is a ton to work with being that athletic as a potential 3/4 DE.  

*Riley Stapleton SOPH WR JMU: Need to pay attention to him in the future, kid is a fine jump ball athlete and has had a great playoff for JMU.  Really tall kid who can go up and get the football.  Needs to be more consistent in other areas but as a big physical target he is a interesting talent out there.

*Andrew Ankrah SR DE JMU: Is a little light for a DE I feel but is a nice looking athlete and could potentially be a 3/4 OLB at the next level.  Will be very key how he plays in the pre draft work but solid talent overall and could be a nice project player as a pass rusher.  Solid prospect but was not as productive and dominating as Carter was in this game.

*Jabril Cox FR LB NDSU: Flashed at times in this game when brought on the blitz, very athletic linebacker with a lot of speed.  Still has a long ways to go but as a freshman is a decent looking talent.

*Simeyon Robinson SR DT JMU: Was very impressive inside when put in one on one situations.  Was very dominating getting great push and showing quickness to get off the block and get after the QB and get sacks.  Could be a nice late round pickup potentially with his pass rush ability inside, be interesting how he works out and what kind of numbers he puts up.

Disappointed:

Jalen Hurts SOPH QB Alabama -   Could not stand him the game before this and he was terrible this first half of the championship.  Basically made a very talented offense look like a laughing stock because he could not make simple throws or pass the ball what so ever.  His pocket awareness is terrible and is only good on the run.  Look for him to possibly switch to RB or just be in QB run plays or special situations next year and not be the full time starter.  Must say though, how he took being benched and how he supported and cheered Tua was extremely impressive.  Shows he does have great character and is a great leader, but sadly for him he is not a good passer and probably never will be.  

Aaron Stinnie SR OG JMU  -   Did not have a great game, was beat in pass protection especially late in that game, struggle there.  But physically he is very well built and put together, could be a fine potential guard in the NFL and a mid to late round draft pick if he works out well, do not think he is a offensive tackle but at guard he could be a decent player.

Nick Chubb SR RB Georgia -   Not real surprised he was out played by Michel, was never a huge fan of him even early in his career.  People said he was such a great athlete and so elite, I do not see it.  Is a tough runner but has limitations for sure, not great speed or quickness and cannot make you miss really.  Is a hard runner and will get a chance in the league but has a some what limited upside.   

Malkom Parrish SR CB Georgia -   Awful way to go out as a senior, kid is not a NFL prospect I do not feel before the game and was completely dominated in this game once Tua got in.  Even before that was beat a few times, Jalen just could not throw the ball well enough to complete the pass but he got beat consistently and was attacked constantly.  Too bad for a senior to go out that way, will get some heat for it I am sure the rest of the year and beyond.  Almost all the big pass players were on him more often than not.  Not to mention the game winning TD in OT.  

Andy Pappanastos SR K Alabama -   Kid is a life long Alabama fan apparently, he and his family is from Alabama.  Never was a NFL prospect really but wow.  If they would have lost in OT he and his family maybe would of had to move out of the state for life.  Missing that kick if they lost ranks right up there with Blair Walsh missing his kick short kick in the NFL playoffs, only Pappanastos's was arguably way bigger because this was a title game in fricking doors!  Feel bad for the kid, especially with how poor he missed that other one earlier in the game.  Awful for him but thankfully few will remember it with the heroics in OT and since they finally did win in OT.  

tenor.gif?itemid=5240766

A few thoughts on some underlcassmen draft declarations:

*Jessie Bates III RS SOPH S Wake Forest - Brought him up before the season started and I had him as a late 1st round pick.  Will see if he can get in that mix this year but for sure should be a solid 2nd round pick.  Love his coverage ability at safety, good enough as a tackler as well and a solid overall athlete.  Very nice ball skills and really interesting back there because of his coverage ability at safety.  Wish he would have came back for another, would for sure be a 1st rounder but in terms of potential he is a very nice looking safety prospect with a lot of upside and is a fine player.

*James Daniels JR C Iowa - Had him predicted to come out early as well, interesting he did it after having a few rocky moments this year.  Overall though he is as good as any other center out there and should be a solid 2nd round pick and with good workouts come climb up into the 1st.  Nice potential and in terms of upside is arguably better than other centers out there because of his size.  

*Kamryn Pettway JR RB Auburn - Very surprised he came out after missing a ton of playing time season.  Fear of another injury I am sure.  Kid is a beast as a runner, love how strong he is and how physical he is.  Be curious what people like him or Bo on Alabama as a big back. 

*Leighton Vander Esch RS JR LB Boise State - Some what surprised he came out early but love the kid and brought him up a few times.  Plays really hard and is very active as a tackler, can really get offensive players on the ground and is good chasing down the football.  Could be a SLB or ILB I think in the NFL and has a lot of upside.  Should be a lock 2nd round pick potentially or a steal if he falls later than that.  Probably is a good choice ultimately with how well he has played this year.

*DJ Reed JR CB Kansas State- Did not have as strong of a year as I thought he would have.  Love his speed and quickness, good in the return game as well.  Thought he would make more plays on the football and got beat a few times as well.  But as a potential slot CB he is really interesting and could even play out wide as well.  Nice upside and could be a steal mid round draft pick.

*Deontay Burnett JR WR USC - Had a great start to the season, was making tons of plays but that slowed up as the year went on.  Still has a lot to work on, had him as maybe a 1st rounder but doubt that will happen anymore.  Should put up a great time in the 40 had really has developed nicely but does need to continue to do so to take the next step and really become elite.  

*Tanner Lee JR QB Nebraska - The kid threw what two pick sixes in one single game.  Lead the Nebraska team to an awful record and a joke of a season.  He is a NFL prospect, yeah right.   Sure puts up statistics but that is because he has a few ok receivers to throw to and got a lot of yards during blowout games.  Be shocked if a team gives him a look or even a chance, will see.  

*Jalen Wilkerson JR DE Florida State - Barely even noticed him on FSU, and he is declaring for the draft?  Why?  I was not impressed by him at any point, barely even knew his number or who he was, be very surprised if he is drafted.  

*Toby Weathersby JR OT LSU - Man he must not like being in college, because in no way is he ready to come out for the draft.  Will be lucky to be drafted I feel, nice looking prospect but was nt where close to one of the top JR OTs in the nation.  Has a long ways to go, 7th round pick most likely if that.  Has potential that is for sure but in no way was he this great player this year and could really use another year to round out his game.

No massive surprises so far with the last day to declare for the NFL Draft.  Are two QBs who fall along the lines of Tanner Lee however.  Kyle Allen Houston RS JR QB, are you freaking kidding me.  Kid was benched and did not even finish out the season playing much less being the starter.  When he was in early in the year did not look all that good either.  Has fine arm talent for sure and maybe that will get him picked late in the draft but that is pushing it.  No clue why he left and came out early, probably because he did not want to transfer again but still.  Then there is Chase Litton Marshall JR QB, way better prospect than Allen or Lee but still should have came back for his senior year.  Is a big kid with a good frame but I thought he was not one of the top JR QBs in the nation and maybe could have become that next year but still.  No clue why he came out early and seems to be a poor choice in a QB loaded draft.

Was surprising all those Clemson DLs came back to school, they are going to really damn good again next season for sure.  I do wonder where some of these kids get their information, because a few are like what in the world did you do that for. Like I have said before some sure must hate school.  Yeah maybe it is a money thing and can be for some players family situations, but just because you declare for the draft does not mean you will be paid promised money ...  Especially if you go undrafted and do not even sign as a UDFA.  Might get a free workout routine and training for a few months via the agent but come on.....

Potentially 7 rounds in how they might look with all the good underclassmen included, changed of course from earlier, started one in May and tons of those players who were included are now gone.  Oddly enough there is a very high number of underclassmen who I personally do not even have on the radar and are basically non prospects.  Why they declared I have no idea, maybe they just really want to go play football in Canada, and even that is not a guarantee.  Also note next year the QB, OT, RB, WR take a pretty big drop off unless someone else really breaks out next year.  So if you want one of these positions get them this year, and that is with the WR core not being all that great this season.  2019 NFL draft is crazy deep at DL, will put that out after this years draft but could argue the top 7 out of the top 10 prospects are defensive linemen.  And this order is just based on them as players, throw team needs into it and it changes a lot of course, not to mention the combine.

1st
Saquon Barkley Penn State RB JR
Josh Rosen UCLA QB JR
Derwin James Florida State S JR 
Sam Darnold USC QB RS SOPH
Vita Vea Washington DT JR 
Quenton Nelson Notre Dame OG SR
Minkah Fitzpatrick Alabama S/CB JR 
Orlando Brown Oklahoma OT RS JR
Bradley Chubb NC State DE SR 
Josh Allen Wyoming QB RS JR
Da'Ron Payne Alabama JR
Roquan Smith Georgia ILB JR
Arden Key LSU OLB/DE JR 
Tremaine Edmunds Virginia Tech OLB JR 
Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame OT RS SR
Derrius Guice LSU RB JR
Malik Jefferson Texas OLB JR 
Lamar Jackson Louisville QB JR  
James Washington Oklahoma State WR SR  
Joshua Jackson Iowa CB JR
Calvin Ridley Alabama WR JR 
Carlton Davis Auburn CB JR
Sam Hubbard Ohio State OLB JR
Harrison Phillips Stanford DT RS JR
Christian Kirk Texas A&M WR JR
Baker Mayfield Oklahoma QB SR
Mike Gesicki Penn State TE SR
Courtland Sutton SMU WR RS JR 
Mason Cole Michigan OL SR 
Jerome Baker Ohio State OLB JR
Rashaan Evans Alabama LB SR 
Harold Landry Boston College DE SR

2nd
Tarvarus McFadden Florida State CB JR
Connor Williams Texas OT JR
Tyrell Crosby Oregon OT/OG SR 
Denzel Ward Ohio State CB JR
Dallas Goedert South Dakota State TE SR 
Jessie Bates III Wake Forest S RS SOPH 
Maurice Hurst Michigan DT RS SR
Marcus Davenport UTSA OLB SR
Quin Blanding Virginia S SR
Auden Tate Florida State WR JR
Leighton Vander Esch Boise State LB RS JR
Derrick Nnadi Florida State DT SR 
Josey Jewell Iowa ILB SR 
Ronnie Harrison Alabama S JR
Brian O'Neill Pitt OT JR 
Skai Moore South Carolina LB RS SR
Jaire Alexander Louisville CB JR
RJ McIntosh Miami FL DT JR
Kolton Miller UCLA OT RS JR
Ronald Jones II USC RB JR
James Daniels Iowa C JR 
Mark Andrews Oklahoma TE RS JR 
Billy Price Ohio State C SR 
Mike Hughes UCF JR
Armani Watts Texas A&M S SR
Taven Bryan Florida DT JR
Hayden Hurst South Carolina JR
Sony Michel Georgia RB SR 
Poona Ford SR DT Texas
Rasheem Green USC DE JR 
Frank Ragnow Arkansas C SR
Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State QB SR 

3rd
Trenton Thompson Georgia DT JR 
Deontay Burnett USC WR JR
Martinas Rankin Miss State OT/C RS SR
Anthony Miller Memphis WR RS SR 
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Oklahoma OLB SR 
Jamarcus King South Carolina CB SR 
Equanimeous St. Brown Notre Dame WR JR 
Matt Boesen TCU OLB SR
Quenton Meeks Stanford CB JR 
Chad Thomas Miami FL DE SR
Dante Pettis Washington WR SR
Isaiah Oliver Colorado JR
Josh Sweat Florida State OLB JR
DeShon Elliott Texas S JR
Darius Jackson Jacksonville SR OLB
Braden Smith Auburn OG SR
Micah Kiser Virginia ILB SR 
Jeff Holland Auburn JR OLB
Lowell Lotulelei Utah DT SR 
Jaylen Samuels NC State WR/RB SR
Chukwuma Okorafor Western Michigan OT SR 
Troy Fumagalli Wisconsin TE SR 
Uchenna Nwosu USC OLB SR
Ryan Izzo Florida State TE RS JR
Royce Freeman Oregon RB SR 
Terrell Edmunds Virginia Tech S JR
Lorenzo Carter Georgia OLB SR 
Simmie Cobbs Jr Indiana WR SR 
Marcell Frazier Missouri DE/OLB RS SR
Deon Cain Clemson WR JR 
Holton Hill Texas CB JR
Azeem Victor Washington LB SR
*Tre'Quan Smith UCF WR JR
*Kerryon Johnson Auburn RB JR
*Akrum Wadley Iowa RB SR

4th
Marcell Ateman Oklahoma State WR SR
Marcus Baugh Ohio State TE SR
Breeland Speaks Ole Miss DE/DT RS JR
DJ Reed Kansas State JR 
Matthew Thomas Florida State LB SR
Hercules Mata'afa Washington State OLB JR
DJ Chark LSU WR SR 
Bo Scarbrough Alabama RB JR 
Marcus Allen Penn State S SR
Jamarco Jones Ohio State OT SR  
Duke Dawson Florida S SR 
Kamryn Pettway Auburn RB JR 
Tegray Scales Indiana ILB SR 
Rashaad Penny San Diego State SR RB
Van Smith Clemson S JR
Salesi Uhatafe Utah OG SR 
Kendrick Norton Miami FL DT JR 
Donte Jackson LSU CB JR 
Jordan Thomas Oklahoma CB SR 
Antonio Callaway Florida WR JR 
Shamire Devine Georgia Tech OG SR
Nick Chubb Georgia RB SR 
Steven Richardson Minnesota DT SR 
Kentavius Street NC State DE SR
Dorance Armstrong Kansas OLB JR
Justin Jackson Northwestern RB SR 
Jalyn Holmes Ohio State DE SR 
Cody O'Connell Washington State OG RS SR 
Jalen Davis Utah State CB SR
Kyle Meadows Kentucky OT SR 
Dorian O'Daniel Clemson OLB SR
Mark Walton Maimi FL JR
*Dalton Schultz Stanford TE RS JR
*Deatrick Nichols CB/S USF
*Garret Dooley Wisconsin OLB RS SR
*Drue Tranquill Notre Dame OLB SR
*Da'Shawn Hand Alabama DE SR 

5th
Taylor Stallworth South Carolina DT SR
Dominick Sanders Georgia S SR 
Adam Breneman UMASS TE RS JR 
Jordan Whitehead Pitt S JR
Kemoko Turay Rutgers DE SR
Allen Lazard Iowa State WR SR 
Jack Cichy Wisconsin RS SR ILB
Dimitir Flowers Oklahoma FB SR
Cedric Wilson Boise State WR SR
Kyzir White West Virginia S SR
Ja'Von Rolland-Jones Arkansas St. OLB SR 
Kevin Toliver II LSU CB JR
Jonathan Cook Memphis S SR 
Jester Weah Pitt WR SR
Ethan Wolf Tennessee TE SR 
Ryan Nall Oregon State RB JR
Tyrone Crowder Clemson OG RS SR
DaeSean Hamilton Penn State WR SR
Chris Worley Ohio State OLB SR 
Godwin Igwebuike Northwestern S SR 
Riley Ferguson Memphis QB SR 
Bradley Bozeman Alabama C SR
Joseph Noteboom TCU OT SR
Christopher Herndon IV Miami FL SR TE
J'Mon Moore Missouri WR SR 
Rashard Fant Indiana SR CB
Davin Bellamy Georgia OLB SR 
Shaun Dion Hamilton Alabama ILB SR 
Donnie Ernsberger Western Michigan TE SR
Darius James Auburn OT SR
Andrew Ankrah JMU DE/OLB SR
John Kelly Tennessee JR
*Wyatt Teller Virginia Tech OG RS SR 
*Will Hernandez OG UTEP SR 
*Anthony Averett Alabama CB SR
*Duke Ejiofor Wake Forest DE SR 
*JK Scott Alabama P SR 
*Keishawn Bierria Washington ILB SR 

6th

David Bright Stanford OG SR
Ray-Ray McCloud Clemson WR JR
Geron Christian Louisville JR
Nick Gates Nebraska OT RS JR\
Braxton Berrios Miami FL WR SR
Josh Adams Notre Dame RB JR
MJ Stewart UNC CB SR 
Mike McCray Michigan OLB RS SR
Jason Cabinda Penn State ILB SR
Cam Serigne Wake Forest TE SR
Ben Niemann Iowa OLB SR
Darrel Williams LSU RB SR
Joel Lanning Iowa Star ILB SR
Byron Pringle Kansas State WR JR
Peter Kalambayi Stanford OLB RS SR 
Kenny Hill TCU QB RS SR 
DJ Moore Maryland WR JR
Gewhite Stallworth La Tech OT SR 
Durham Smythe Notre Dame TE SR 
D'Ernest Johnson SR RB USF
Brian Allen Michigan State OG SR 
Jaryd Jones-Smith Pitt OT SR
Keke Coutee Texas Tech WR JR
Jake Wieneke South Dakota State WR SR
Kenny Young UCLA ILB SR
Nyheim Hines NC State RB JR
Alex Officer Pitt C RS SR 
David Knevel Nebraska OT SR 
Luke Falk Washington State QB SR 
Kalen Ballage Arizona State RB SR
Fred Warner BYU OLB SR 
Tyler Lancaster Northwestern DT/OG SR
*Naashon Hughes Texas LB SR 
*Jaleel Wadood UCLA S SR 
*Frank Ginda San Jose LB JR
*BJ Hill NC State DT SR 
*Marquis Haynes Ole Miss OLB SR
*Aaron Cochran Ok State OT SR
*Avonte Maddox Pitt CB SR
*Daniel Carlson Auburn K SR

7th
Tyquan Lewis Ohio State DE SR 
Cam Phillips Virginia Tech WR SR
Levi Wallace Alabama CB SR
Roc Thomas Jacksonville State RB SR
Shaquem Griffin UCF OLB SR
Justin Crawford West Virginia RB SR
James Hearns Louisville OLB RS SR
Patrick Kugler Michigan C SR
Richard Lagow Indiana QB SR 
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi Toledo DE JR
Frank Herron LSU DT SR
Demetrius Monday Kent State CB SR
Isaiah Wynn Georgia OT SR
Genard Avery Memphis LB SR
Aaron Stinnie JMU OG/OT SR
Koron Crump Arizona State OLB SR 
Jordan Chunn Troy SR RB
Brandon Facyson Virginia Tech CB RS SR
Eric Cotton Stanford DE SR 
RJ Prince UNC OG SR
Chase Litton Marshall  QB JR
Rashaan Gaulden Tennessee CB JR
Tyler Howell Missouri OT SR 
Quadree Henderson Pitt WR JR
Chase Winovich Michigan DE SR
Robert Foster Alabama WR SR
Sean Chandler Temple CB SR 
Tony Brown Alabama CB SR
Michael Dickson Texas P JR
Jacob Tuioti-Mariner UCLA DE/DT SR
Al-Rasheed Benton West Virginia ILB SR
Quiton Flowers USF QB/WR SR
*Jordan Thomas Miss State TE SR
*J.T. Barrett Ohio State QB SR
*Trevon Young Louisville OLB RS SR 
*Simeyon Robinson JMU DT SR
*Toby Weathersby LSU OT JR
*Kaare Vedvik Marshall K/P RS SR
*Ja'Whaun Bentley Purdue OLB SR 
*Ian Bunting Michigan TE SR
*Nick Sharga Temple FB SR

A few prospects that are the biggest risers since the start of the season.  Most were on the radar but some came out of nowhere like Joshua Jackson and Vander Esch
Roquan Smith Georgia ILB JR

Joshua Jackson Iowa CB JR

Tyrell Crosby Oregon OT/OG SR

Marcus Davenport UTSA OLB SR

Leighton Vander Esch Boise State LB RS JR

RJ McIntosh Miami FL DT JR

Kolton Miller UCLA OT RS JR

Mike Hughes UCF JR

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Oklahoma OLB SR 

Matt Boesen TCU OLB SR

DeShon Elliott Texas S JR

Jeff Holland Auburn JR OLB

Darius Jackson Jacksonville SR OLB

Holton Hill Texas CB JR

Tre'Quan Smith UCF WR JR

Marcell Ateman Oklahoma State WR SR

Hercules Mata'afa Washington State OLB JR

Taven Bryan Florida DT JR

tenor.gif?itemid=8320017

• 2 months later...

I just had to bump this thread. An excellent read and amazing job Ozzy.

I love reading this stuff close to draft time, I don't watch the College game so to read this in retrospect, get the insights of how a prospect has developed over the course of a year is very enjoyable reading and also takes everything away from the combine hype and back to how did the man play!!!

Thank you again.

11 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I just had to bump this thread. An excellent read and amazing job Ozzy.

I love reading this stuff close to draft time, I don't watch the College game so to read this in retrospect, get the insights of how a prospect has developed over the course of a year is very enjoyable reading and also takes everything away from the combine hype and back to how did the man play!!!

Thank you again.

Thanks man, sadly the early 7 rounders throughout do have a ton of mistakes of course, did edit a long the way but still just projection and tons changes along the way, just ask Arden Key and Orlando Brown.  Was just trying to get a feel for how certain players could stack up in the draft potentially.  The weekly stuff is fun to do for me, to see guys emerge as the year goes on.  However I wrongly classified a lot of the guys, here are the ones of now and sure more will come about later on.  Some I had in the process moved around in the mid to late rounds and glad they are back at school and get more chance to develop.  Have included some into the 2019 one I already started, only have four rounds though but will see what the rosters look like after Spring Games and such.

Chase Winovich Michigan DE RS SR 

Jonathan Alvarez Oklahoma OU RS SR

Drue Tranquill Notre Dame OLB RS SR

Koron Crump Arizona State OLB RS SR

D'Cota Dixon S Wisconsin RS SR

Amani Oruwariye Penn State CB/S RS SR

Dante Booker Ohio State OLB RS SR 

Colton Jumper Tennessee LB RS SR

Bryson Allen-Williams South Carolina OL RS SR

Nick Harvey NA (Former Texas A&M) CB RS SR 

Sunny Odogwu UCLA (Former Miami FL) OT Graduate Transfer

Ian Bunting Cal (Former Michigan) TE Graduate Transfer

Jeremy Smith NA (Former Louisville) RB SR

Darren Gardenhire Montana State CB RS SR (Criminal record now probably off the market for next year)

Archived