Ozzy's NFL Draft Prospect thread - (Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

58 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Keep an eye out for Landon Dickerson. Playing left guard for Florida State, only a true sophomore and only 18 years old, but he's already extremely physically gifted and plays the game hard and plays through the whistle. He held up his own against Alabama and guys like Da'Ron Payne, Josh Frazier, Da'Shawn Hand, etc. He still has a ways to go until he's ready for the NFL, but he's got a chance to be great. Hopefully Florida State doesn't screw him up like they have with their other talented OL prospects.

Yeah will have to keep and eye on him, but that entire line was a disappointment to me.   Rick Leonard SR OT, Brock Ruble JR OT have not progress like they should have. Derrick Kelly RS JR OT had a hard time and is probably better at guard.  I have hope for  Mike Arnold RS FR OG, I think he has some potential and they got Tony Boselli's kid Andrew Boselli be interesting if he can play or not.  Even the center Eberle showed some toughness but not sure how elite he is as a player.  Still it is hard to think of any QB that got hit more than Francois last year in recent memory, got absolutely destroyed week in and week out.  

Under Trickett almost all of Florida State's offensive linemen have underachieved in the NFL.  Thought he was a good OL coach but most of those guys who showed great promise do not end up being that great of players.  Will see how this season goes, sure they are starting Blackman at QB because he can run and maybe get away from that constant pressure compared to Cosentio who is more experienced player and better passers arguably.

A few solid prospects who are already out of the year or will be injured for quite some time.  A few were before the year but the rest happened this weekend.  

LB Christian Miller Alabama - Bicep out for season

LB Terrell Lewis Alabama - Elbow out of the season

QB Deondre Francois Florida State - knee out for season

CB Jordan Parker OU - knee out for season

WR Nick Westbrook Indiana - knee out for season

CB Ryan Pulley Arkansas - shoulder out for the season

LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. Tennessee - knee out for season

LB Jack Cichy Wisconsin - ACL out for season

QB Jacob Eason Georgia - ankle out indefinitely

RB Terence Williams Baylor - shoulder out indefinitely

LB E. J. Levenberry UCONN - knee out indefinitely

LB Vontae Diggs UCONN - knee out indefinitely

For Alabama that is rough, Rashaan Evans, Anfernee Jennings and Raekwon Davis all were injured in that first game as well.  That is basically is all of there starting 3/4 OLBs with Miller, Lewis and Jennings/ Evans.  Keith Holcombe and Mosely will get a ton more action especially if Evans and Jennings are out for awhile.  Is awful, was excited to see Lewis play, that kid is an absolute freak show and would have been there best linebacker on the team by the end of the year I think.  Ben Davis, Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson, will see if one of them can step in, and really hope Evans can come back, the one with experience outside of Hamilton.

Week 1. D

A few more prospects and elaborating on some I just listed as others who impressed:

*Trey Smith FR OG Tennessee:  Damn he was impressive as a freshman, really like the push he got and played a little nasty as well.  Been a very long time sine Tennessee has had a OL like that.  Cannot even recall the last true great lineman on Tennessee outside of Chad Clifton and he was not even that great.  Great looking young prospect, could be an outstanding talent.

*Shamire Devine RS SR OG Georgia Tech:  Nice to see him get some run, was still in and out of the game and obviously did not do much pass protection.  Sure can move people out of the way and gets a great push and really extends himself nicely for a giant of a man.  Does what he asks, pulls better than you think, physically there is a ton to work with there and I would be very surprised if he is not a mid round draft pick if not higher.  Hopefully he has a good season but will be underdrafted much like Shaq Mason was a few years back.  

*TaQuon Marshall JR QB Georgia Tech:  How was this guy not the starting long ago, very impressive performance by him running the football.  Will see if he can keep it up as the season goes on, really nice looking athlete and a good leader.  Probably a position change for him but a player to pay attention to looks like.

*Cam Brown SOPH OLB Penn State:  As a prospect he is right up there with any linebacker in the nation, physically he is elite and I love his size and athletic ability, just is a huge kid who can run.  Did not have a huge impact on the game but made some splashes.  

*Kellen Mond FR QB/WR Texas A&M:  Terrible play at QB, really not developed throwing the ball at all.  But wow he can run, has a really special next gear and hopefully he switches positions to running back or wide receiver like some other athletic QBs have done of late around the nation.  As an athlete running he is worth paying attention to, be interesting if he does better at QB, I doubt it but will see.  

*Jake Fromm FR QB Georgia:  I liked him in the spring game and is not big surprise he looked good in real game action.  Might be in there for awhile but is very fundamental, runs the show well and does not play outside of himself.  Nice technique as a passer, could do very well and they are lucky to have him on the roster, solid prospect.

*Reggie Hemphill-Mapps RS FR WR Texas:  Is a absolute burner as a receiver or return man, has great open field speed and should make some huge plays this year.  Liked what he showed in the spring game and has carried that over to the season.  Has real game breaking speed and is a dangerous talent for sure.

*Jordan Sherit SR DE Florida:  Did very well, last year I liked him in a few games even though he was not super productive.  This game he did great getting after the passer and used his hands very well as a pass rusher.  Nice a huge kid but has good enough length and a decent motor.  With a good year could maybe work his way into being a drafted player potentially.

*Kekoa Crawford SOPH WR Michigan:  Did not do a ton in the game but I think he could be a great playmaker for them in the future, but will need some help from the quarterback.  Nice lean athlete who can get up field and go get the football.  Paired with Black on the other side they have two very promising young receivers that is for sure, nice looking talent.

*Lil'Jordan Humphrey SOPH WR Texas:  Did not do a ton in that game but physically he is a special looking athlete. Big long and athletic, is part of a very talented receiver core on Texas.  Could do some big things this year or next potentially.

*Brandon Wimbush JR QB Notre Dame:  Very impressed with his play, had a great wiggle to him running the football and surprised how successful he was passing the ball.  Is a nice surprise for the Irish for sure, and athletically he is interesting as a QB talent.  Will see if he can lead the Irish to become a winner again unlike Kizer last year.

*Cam Phillips SR WR Virginia Tech:  Had a very good game, showed flashes last year as a playmaker, I like his toughness and strong hands.  Can take a hit as a pass catcher and has sneaky speed down field.  Not afraid to go get the football or take a hit, nice second tear receiver prospect potentially.

*Reggie Bonnafon SR WR Louisville:  Hopefully he can get some more action as a pass catcher this year.  Got to give a A for effort taking the move from QB to WR now WR to RB.  Nice athlete, will see if he can be more of a weapon this year at RB or WR.

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

*Trey Smith FR OG Tennessee:  Damn he was impressive as a freshman, really like the push he got and played a little nasty as well.  Been a very long time sine Tennessee has had a OL like that.  Cannot even recall the last true great lineman on Tennessee outside of Chad Clifton and he was not even that great.  Great looking young prospect, could be an outstanding talent.

He's awesome, one of the best recruits I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Cam Brown will need some time.  Penn State wanted to redshirt him last year but had to play him due to massive injuries at LB.  He's 6'5, still has room to grow into his frame, but isn't necessarily pegged for DE.

I would keep him as a OLB, 3/4 OLB potentially but I doubt he is strong enough to handle on the line of scrimmage contact from the DE spot.  Still his potential is massive I think.  Must be nice to be a fan of a team who has the most dangerous offense in the nation.  Penn State is damn impressive!  

Week 2: Prospect Standouts

*Chris Brown JR OG USC:  One of the most impressive players all weekend I thought, the push he got was crazy especially against a very tough and physical Stanford defense typically.  They just pushed them around and he did most of the pushing.  Just blew holes wide open, be very interesting if he can keep up this level of play, if so is one of the best guards in the nation and might even come out early for the draft.  

*Carlton Davis JR CB Auburn:  Had a great game, really laid the wood on a few offensive players.  Very smooth cover man and if he continues to show such great toughness and tackling ability at the corner spot, could argue he could easily be a 1st round pick this up coming year.  Wildly impressive game in even a loss, was all over the field, really liked what he showed on the field.  

*Stephen Carr FR RB USC:  Looks like an amazing talent at running back, hard to get better and faster than Jones on USC and Carr might be just that.  Very dynamic playmaker and took advantage of some great blocks by the OL.  Really interesting prospect and should be getting the football a ton this up coming year.  

*Jack Jones SOPH CB USC:  Damn he is very athletic at corner, could be a big time player.  Very long and rangy with great speed and quickness.  Plays a lot bigger than he is, even though he is not small.  Really promising young player and could develop into an absolutely elite level talent, must watch prospect.  

*Jonathan Taylor FR RB Wisconsin:  Had a great game but was against one of the absolute worst rush defenses in college football.  Very nice looking athlete though, will see if he can keep this production up and more importantly stay healthy with the increase work load he will be getting as clear feature back the rest of the season.

*Roquan Smith JR ILB Georgia:  Had a really great game, was flying to the football making big plays.  Really productive inside linebacker and if he keeps playing this well could argue he is the best in that junior class.  Very productive in that system just like Kirby had at Alabama with the inside linebackers there.

*Jester Weah SR WR Pitt:  Really smooth route runner, liked him last year and he is so natural catching the football.  Has good length and decent enough speed, great hands and could be an awesome late to mid round receiver prospect.  Nice solid talent who has improved his game from last year and should have a great season.

*Rashan Gary SOPH DE Michigan:  In the spring game looked like he really turned the corner, and yeah the kid is a total legit super star prospect.  Had some real stud plays in that game, very good pass rusher for his massive size, uses his hands well.  Big time player and potential top 5 pick in 2019.  

*Austin Bryant JR DE Clemson:  Probably had the game of his career, was all over the field making plays, and they had a dominating DL before he was a stud, now if he is a consistent bookend opposite Ferrell wow.  Be interesting if he keeps up this level of play, got a great push, was very active and athletic in the game, good combo of quickness and power for a DE.  

*Orlando Brown RS JR OT Oklahoma:  I have liked him for a very long time and he continues to improve his game and get better.  Extremely good athlete for the massive man he is, now stays on his feet a lot more, keeps his balance and is quite comfortable in pass protection.  Moves his feet well and his length is hard to get around.  Very nice looking talent and should be a top pick in the up coming draft, to me right now is the best offensive tackle in the draft if he comes out.  

*Marcus Allen SR S Penn State:  Have to love his tackling, has been a great player for a long time and is such an elite tackler.  Sure his ball skills are not impressive but if he can lay people out consistently in tackling and hang with them speed wise there will be a place for him at the next level.  Fearless tackler and is a impressive talent.  

*Akrum Wadley SR RB Iowa:  Impressed last week and did it again this week, was very effective in the passing game and against showed great wiggle and quickness in the open field, being able to make people miss.  Really nice looking player and is shooting up the draft boards I feel, really improvement player and nice looking second tear running back prospect.  

*Baker Mayfield SR QB Oklahoma:  Great game by him, showed outstanding leadership and competitiveness in that game.  Those are intangibles some other top QBs have not shown yet that is for sure.  Always liked his compact release of the football, great fighter and throws a good ball.  If he keeps playing this well and leading this team could sneak his way into being a 1st round pick, is moving up there in a potentially great QB class.  

*Dimitir Flowers SR FB Oklahoma:  Have liked him for a very long time, super underrated and is a great talent at FB.  Really is a awesome weapon out of the backfield that teams forget about.  Nice looking athlete and good versatility as a blocker or HB type, I think would be a very solid mid round draft pick, great weapon to have.

*Troy Fumagalli SR TE Wisconsin:  Really like his route running ability, has a nice shake to him and can get separation even though he is not an amazing athlete.  Is a one man show in regards to that kind of sad passing game, is everything for them and does a good job.  Should be a for sure 2nd round pick I feel, with a great year could maybe sneak into the 1st but will be hard.  

*Daniel Jones RS SOPH QB Duke:  Really liked him last year and had a great game this past week.  Big tall kid, very impressive athlete almost to a fault, strong arm and good leader.  Has a lot of upside and potential I think, throws a good football and has good toughness about him as well.  

*Shareef Miller SOPH DE Penn State:  Very strong defensive end, really like his size and length, had a great game and was effective getting after the passer.  Curious if he can keep that level of production up, nice solid athlete though with length, could have a real breakout year for them.

*Sam Darnold RS SOPH QB USC:  Made some bad plays in that game but very hard not to like his confidence he plays with and the way he can create out of the pocket and throw on the move.  Very good extending plays with his feet, does not look to run really more to pass.  Still not completely sold on his overall arm strength or accuracy but is in the conversation as one of the best QB prospects in the nation for sure.

*Lamar Jackson JR QB Louisville:  How he checked down the football in that game was very impressive, made some nice touch passes and did not always look for the big play.  Has a hell of an arm obviously, is more athletic than any QB in the nation and is playing his way into being possibly a 1st round talent.  Is in a great class of QBs potentially but he is right there with him, and his toughness and competitiveness I like more than some of the other top QBs.  Made a lot of improvement off last year, will see what he does against those big boys on Clemson next week.  If he shows out against that front, he will be a 1st round pick I think. 

*Hunter Renfrow JR WR Clemson:  Guy is a stud receiver, has been a glue guy for awhile and is arguably the best receiver in terms of technique on that team with a loaded receiving core.  Very good short yardage receiver who just can make the play and really knows how to get open and catch the football.  

*Mike McGlinchey RS SR OT Notre Dame:  Had some trouble late in that game with the final play, but overall he did really well I think.  Handled himself nicely against athletic rushers.  Really like the balance he plays with and his pass protection step up, good technique and is sound fundamentally.  Solid tackle prospect, might be lacking a little athletically but could be a sound pro potentially.

*TJ Rahming JR WR Duke:  Kid is tough as can be, very physical player for being so small.  Great open field speed and return potential as well, a lot of big play ability with him.  Really nice looking talent and if he stays healthy he will be a huge weapon all year long.

*James Daniels JR C Iowa:  I think the kid could be the best center in the nation, good to see him back on the field.  Is a great athlete, big solid kid that moves well and is very strong at the point of attack.  Active away from the line of scrimmage as well, might come out early for the draft this year but if he does come back as a senior he will without question be the best center in the nation.  Really talented kid, I like his ability on the OL.

*Jarrett Stidham RS JR QB Auburn:  Even in a loss he is a very impressive physical talent.  Super fast QB that can get out of the pocket and really knows how to throw the football.  Has great ball velocity, just throws lasers out there and has no issues throwing on the move.  Be curious if he comes out early or not, with time to develop he has 1st round potential at QB I think, really high ceiling for him potentially.

*Quenton Nelson SR OG Notre Dame:  He is a nice looking athlete, really moves well for a big guy.  Do not love his overall power but if he can handle himself in pass protection he will be a 1st round pick.  Gets good movement and is very comfortable in pass protection, nice looking guard prospect living up to the hype potentially. 

*Braden Smith SR OG Auburn:  I think he is limited athletically and might not be able to play right tackle in the NFL, most likely will be a guard.  Like his toughness and strength, can get a good push and is a nasty run blocker.  Nice 2nd round prospect I think and solid offensive lineman to choose from in the up coming draft.

*Ogbonnia Okoronkwo SR OLB Oklahoma:  Was very good off the edge rushing the passer, got great pressure around the corner multiple times, not totally sure he could be a 3/4 OLB but he is an interesting player even in a 4/3 with his ability to rush the passer.  Nice talent and could be a very dangerous pass rush threat.

*Hakeem Butler SOPH WR Iowa State:  Very impressive game by him I thought, really big kid, super long and tall and surprisingly athletic.  Actually outplayed the other big body receiver they have that some have have highly rated.  Nice speed, totally burnt the safeties deep on a few plays, really promising young pass catcher for sure, one to keep and eye on.

*Khaleke Hudson SOPH LB Michigan:  Impressed by hims strength physically, can really strike people and has no issues playing that close to the line of scrimmage.  Curious if he could cover deep as a safety though, might have to grow more into that linebacker body because not sure he has the overall athletic ability of say Peppers and can move back to safety.  Had a great game though and is an impressive tough athlete.

*Holton Hill JR CB Texas:  Made some more huge plays at the corner spot, his playmaking ability is extremely interesting to see as well as his length and speed.  Nice looking prospect, will see if he can keep this up as the season goes on.

*Parnell Motley SOPH CB Oklahoma:  Flashed a lot in the spring, and showed up big time in this game when he got the chance because of an injury.  Really good ball skills and an active player with his hands, not the strongest guy but is a smooth cover man that can go after the football and make plays on the back end.  Nice looking talent and was part of a very impressive Oklahoma defensive performance.  

*Deontay Burnett JR WR USC:  Very impressed with his quickness and open field speed.  Made some really outstanding grabs as well, very smooth athlete that has burner speed.  Not quite sure he is an absolutely elite level receiver but he plays a lot bigger, a lot stronger than his pound frame suggests as well, great aggressive playmaker.

*Sam Hubbard JR OLB Ohio State:  One of the few bright spots on defense, liked the energy he played with and got some real solid pressure on the QB in that game.  Ideally he would be a 3/4 OLB I think, he has to keep being a very aggressive pass rusher and be able to stand up at times and still bend the edge and get to the QB, showing off his all around athletic ability.  Still not sure if he is a top flight talent or not but right now would be hard to pass on him in the 2nd or 3rd round I think.  

*Jeff Holland JR OLB Auburn:  Very similar to Lawson from last year, big thick kid, very good lower body strength and power.  Good potential 3/4 OLB rush end, good chasing after the football and brings force when he arrives to the ball carrier.  See how he does as the year goes on, could be a real force on the outside as a pass rusher and holds a nice edge.

*Darius Jackson SR OLB Jacksonville St:  Was not able to rush the passer against Georgia Tech obviously very much, but was surprised how willing he was to go up against the run game.  Made some nice plays in space and chased down the ball carrier from the back side a few times.  Still not a great player holding the edge but if he shows some good ability in space, with his pass rush speed he is a potential dark house to being a 1st round pick.  Special pass rusher for sure and very interesting talent.

*Andre Smith JR ILB UNC:  Very active backer, has good speed and strength on the inside.  Like the intensity he plays with, tough kid and is a prospect to watch I think.  Runs well and is a force at the linebacker position, see if he can keep it up the rest of the year.

*Ihmir Smith-Marsette FR WR Iowa:  Made some giant catches in that football game and might be a very needed deep threat for that offense.  Really young prospect still but has a little bust and open field speed to him, good quickness and made the game winning catch as well that was a difficult grab.  Nice game for him, see if he can become a proven deep threat as the year goes on.

Others who impressed:

Christian Wilkins JR DT Clemson 

CeeDee Lamb FR WR Oklahoma

Trey Sermon FR RB Oklahoma

Myles Dorn SOPH S UNC

Uchenna Nwosu SR OLB USC

JJ Arcega-Whiteside JR WR Stanford

David Montgomery SOPH RB Iowa State

Hassan Klugh JR QB/WR Charlotte

Christopher Allen FR OLB Alabama

Nate Archie FR OG Jacksonville State

Jalen Dalton JR DT UNC

Tyler Lancaster SR DT Northwestern

Jaryd Jones-Smith SR OT Pitt

Qadree Ollison JR RB Pitt 

Grant Haley SR CB Penn State

Noah Fant SOPH TE Iowa

Brycen Hopkins SOPH TE Purdue

Cole Herdman JR TE Purdue

Disappointed:

J.T. Barrett SR QB Ohio State - Had a good week 1 but now is back to normal, very limited in his passing and could not get the ball to his playmakers.  Also it is not like Ohio State has no weapons, I think Barrett is very limited in what he can do and what throws he can make in the passing game.  Will see if he can bounce back but that offense looked really bad last night in a big time again.  

MJ Stewart SR S/CB UNC - Good talent but not sure he is that elite, really think he will be a safety only, might not be able to hang as a true corner in the NFL.  Good tackler as a defensive back and could surprise a lot of people as a safety but not sure he is an elite level talent for what he has shown early this year.

Peter Kalambayi RS SR OLB Stanford - Not impressed with his play or that Stanford defensive play in general, they got pushed around.  Kalambayi needs to take that next step and flash more on the field stopping the run and rushing the passer, he did neither one.  Looked like a strong aggressive player as a sophomore, has not developed much since then and has kind of been a disappointment in my book so far this season.  

Jake Gervase JR S Iowa - Really looked bad in coverage a few times, got completely burnt deep for a touchdown.  Still is a very aggressive strong safety, but has to improve his coverage ability and not giving up big plays like he did in that game.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:53 PM, smokeybandit said:

Marcus Allen has really cleaned up his tackling so far this year.  He's a volume tackle, but missed a lot of tackles, too.  He's really looked good this year.

https://twitter.com/SamDCooper/status/906647833515892736

I am not so sure he cleaned up his tackling, his anticipation is a little better on some plays and for example that safety tackle was a big meaningful play, not a tackle 10 yards down field.  He has been good at tackling for a long time, again the coverage abilities are a question and ball skills.  But if the kid can get players to the ground and if he can prove he has athletic ability to run deep in coverage he should be fine.  I would say he is like Tony Jefferson on Oklahoma a few years back but Jefferson was a better athlete and had better ball skills, even played slot corner.  Allen is probably not a 1st round guy but real solid 2nd round prospect and could become a very good pro considering there are not a ton of great tacklers out there.

Week 3:

*Deontay Burnett JR WR USC:  Wow that kid can play, amazing catches laying out to get the football, made his QB look good more than once.  Very strong athlete, super fast and super quick as well.  Is playing like a potential 1st round pick I feel, great prospect and really becoming an big time receiving talent.  Has outstanding hands and really catches the football well, made multiple diving catches in that game alone.

*Collin Johnson SOPH WR Texas:  Played a big time football game that is for sure, really physical at the line of scrimmage and did very well against good solid corner play.  Great athlete for a big man, really liked him in the spring and is now showing that on the field, super star talent, should be a great one.  

*Anthony Miller RS SR WR Memphis: What a game, really was motivated in that football game but really is always motivated and into the game.  Plays with great passion and made some crazy catches, was a fine prospect last year and should round out to be a really solid player this year, potential 2nd round pick, 3rd at the latest.  Very solid pass catching talent with speed and great hands, tough competitive player.

*Poona Ford SR DT Texas: Very interesting defensive tackle talent, not an elite pass rusher but as a run stopper he is elite.  Very low to the ground and is hard to get a hold of, has great power and strength.  Very interesting talent and could easily be a 2nd round pick come draft day if not higher with good workouts.  

*Jeffery Simmons SOPH DE/DT Miss State: Very interesting talent from the interior line position, gives great effort and his motor is always going.  Could be potentially a 4/3 DT or 3/4 DE I think.  Need to watch him more but looks like a big time prospect, also was part of a great performance by that Miss State defense, totally shut down LSU in that game and played more physical than a hyped up and talented offensive line.  

*Anthony Wheeler JR LB Texas: Awesome game by him, was all over the field making plays.  Very tough physical linebacker who tackles well in the box and has decent enough athletic ability.  Could play inside in a 3/4 or 4/3 I feel, or even strong side as well.  Had a really great game in a dominating Texas defensive performance.

*Malik Jefferson JR LB Texas:  Had one of his best games at Texas, kid physically is a 1st round talent at linebacker and has been from the get go.  So athletic and smooth, really played hard in this game though, super quick penetrator and is outstanding in open space.  Would be surprised if he does not come out early for the draft and again is a 1st round talent.  

*Charles Omenihu JR DE Texas: I liked him a ton last year in terms of potential, really showed up in a huge way this game.  Love his length and size, got great pressure off the edge as a big body who can win just with leverage and power, does not need speed always.  Great big body DE prospect and could come out early for the draft this year if he keeps up this level of play.

*Andrew Ford JR QB UMASS:  I was very impressed with him as a QB, very nice throwing arm and good athlete, can move around in the pocket and make throws down field.  Good technically as well, with another year in school he could be a rising QB prospect I think, a good sleeper talent, will see how he does the rest of the year.  

*Uchenna Nwosu SR OLB USC: Just keeps showing up and making massive plays in the football game.  Be curious what kind of player he is at the next level, really doubt he is a 3/4 OLB at all, could play in a 4/3 maybe but not sure he would be as effective if he is not asked to rush the passer as a speed rusher like he does in college.  Really interesting talent though, needs to show he can play in coverage and take on blocks, as a playmaker has really shown up thought that is for sure.

*Martinas Rankin SR OT Miss State: Interesting talent, gets a lot of hype from some but athletically he is interesting and he can hold his own on the outside.  That athletic ability and length make his pass protection ability very promising at the next level, will see if he can keep it up.  Is part of a much improved Miss State offense, very impressive with that overall OL and the push they got against a good LSU front.  

*Adam Breneman RS JR TE UMASS: Great pass catching tight end, with his injury history I would be shocked if he does not come out early for the draft.  Really smooth route runner and a better blocker than people thick, can do enough to get by there.  Could be a nice mid round selection with his hands and route running as a big body tight end.  

*D'Ernest Johnson SR RB USF: Really like how tough he runs the football, will go after contact and not be afraid of it at all.  Good between the tackles and has good enough speed to make big plays as well.  Will be curious where he goes in the draft, I think he is a good enough talent to be picked in the mid to late rounds potentially.  

*Leighton Vander Esch JR LB Boise State: Really like how he played in that football game, was very aggressive going after the ball and really productive as a tackler.  He is a nice looking athlete as well and is quick to go after and find the football, if he can keep this production up he could develop into a nice mid round draft pick by next season potentially.

*Jonathan Cook SR S Memphis: I liked him last year as well, very physical and tough safety.  Willing to go up and make a big hit, aggressive player, did have some issues in coverage but I do not think that will be a huge concern moving forward.  As a tackler in the box he is very impressive for a defensive back and could be a nice late round draft pick I think.

*DeAndre Pierce SOPH CB Boise State: Love how he tackled at his corner spot, tackled like a safety would and made some plays in the slot as well.  For his size that is extremely impressive, really liked his production tackling, could be a star corner for them in the next few years, a player to keep an eye on for sure with a rare skill set.

*Sam Ehlinger FR QB Texas: Super impressive for a young player, very tough kid.  They lost their best offensive lineman in that game as well and he still hung in there and made plays despite intense pressure.  Has a nice strong arm, good athlete as well and can move around, be interesting if he is the man for sure as the year goes on with Shane back, this performance puts a huge feather in his cap though.  

*John Kelly JR RB Tennessee: Had a great game and was very productive once again, just keeps getting yards and is a very reliable pass catcher out of the backfield.  Very nice looking talent and is a solid second tear running back prospect I feel, runs hard and can do a lot of things on the field.  

*Robert Foster RS SR WR Alabama: That one catch was more yards than he had all last season.  Nice to see him make a play, hopefully he can continue to develop and stay healthy.  Very talented kid but his production is close to nothing so far in his overall career, hope he can become a solid 2nd option for Alabama this season and at least possibly sneak into the very late rounds of the draft.

*Riley Ferguson SR QB Memphis: Had a great game, I really like how well he throws the football on the run.  Made some awesome throws on the move down field that were very accurate.  Really interesting talent at QB and as a mid to late round guy could be a steal, is a little less of a system QB potentially than Paxton Lynch was who relied a lot more on his running than Ferguson does.  

*Marquez Callaway SOPH WR Tennessee: Could be a potential star for them at receiver.  Like how he went up and got the football a few times.  Nice looking athlete, not sure he has great speed but could develop down the road and become a very solid receiver prospect.  

*DeShon Elliott JR S Texas: Had an absolute tall on Darnold for USC, was all over him on multiple routes and when he had the chance to get the interception he did exactly that.  Will see if he can keep up that kind of production, because one can never have enough ball hawking safeties and he looked like one in that game, great performance on a huge stage.  

*Larry Boyd FR OT Illinois: Must watch as the season and his career moves forward.  Physically he is super impressive, such a giant man, moves outstanding considering his monster size, still has a long ways to go but very promising young player at the offensive tackle spot for sure.

*Jalen Starks SOPH RB UCLA: Was a real tank in that game, really impressive physical running style.  Big bowling ball out there, will see if he can get some more time and production as a player.  Nice looking talent and a rare build at this size and runs hard.

*Andy Isabella JR WR UMASS: Not an elite talent but will see where he is in another year, love his open field speed and he looks to be a sharp route runner.  Quick kid who can get open, needs to improve his hands a little, had some easy drops in that game but physically he is a interesting player because of his speed and route running.

*Nick Fitzgerald JR QB Miss State: Had a great game but in no way do I view him as an elite NFL prospect at QB.  He is a Tim Tebow type to a T, if anything might not be able to throw the ball as well as Tebow and Tebow could not even throw that well.  Could develop as a passer down the road though, needs to come back to school, but not sure he will make the progress passing that Dak did, will see.  Right now he is a big athletic kid who runs and is very hard to handle in that offense, great win by Miss State last night.

*Quinton Flowers SR RB/QB USF: Is a non QB prospect I feel, decent running back prospect though potentially.  Very good athlete, nice ability to make cuts and create plays, could maybe move to receiver also but my guess is running back might be his only option at the next level.

*Deatrick Nichols SR CB USF: Impressed with his physical play in that game, came up very aggressively almost like a safety.  Like his tackling for a smaller player, nice tough kid and interesting potential slot corner man.  Could be a nice late round draft pickup possibly, will see how he does the rest of the year. 

Others who impressed:
Marquez Valdes-Scantling SR WR USF
Christian Rector SOPH DE USC
Johnathan Adram JR S Miss State
Porter Gustin JR DE USC 
K'Lavon Chaisson FR OLB LSU
Kadarius Toney FR WR Florida
Joseph Noteboom SR OT TCU
Genard Avery SR ILB Memphis
Darrell Henderson SOPH RB Memphis
Patrick Taylor Jr SOPH RB Memphis
Cedrick Wilson SR WR Boise State
Deion Calhoun JR OG Miss State
Jake Roh SR TE Boise State
Joey Magnifico SOPH TE Memphis
Tony Adams FR CB Illinois
Darren Andrews SR WR UCLA
Travis Etienne FR RB Clemson

Disappointed:

Josh Rosen JR QB UCLA - In many ways he impressed that game, very robotic in his production, things came very easy for him and he made a lot of good plays.  However he also made some huge mistakes late and was over confident in his abilities.  Even when he is going out of his way to cheer on his teammates and be one of the guys he looks awkward doing it.  Just has such a meh personality, does not get up or too down but does not seem like an alpha dog like I said before.  Sure that is fine but if he is supposed to be one of the next true great NFL QBs, all of them are alpha dogs out there and charaismatic leaders or competitors, he is neither.  Will probably be a top 5 pick though, a lot of people will fall in love his ability to make pro style throws which is indeed impressive.

Lamar Jackson JR QB Louisville - At least he competed in that football game and showed some life and or energy.  Did not have a good game though, played pretty bad but not everything was on him I feel.  What an athlete though, and throws so easily that is the problem, he is so athletic and can throw so effortlessly he does not focus on fundamentals and then struggles when things get hard.  A lot could of had to do with the young receivers but he was off on some throws and that pressure did get to him.  

Iman Marshall JR CB USC - Very rough game for him, got beat many times in coverage.  Has a lot of potential but not sure he is playing up to that, especially did not in his game, got beat bad and out played for the football.  Will see how he does as the season goes on.

Caleb Wilson SOPH TE UCLA - Still a very impressive talent but was taken out of that game until late.  Give him a little pressure and a little attention, is hard to catch the football when one does not have a completely free release and is actually covered a majority of the game.  Love his hands though at TE but physically he has to show he can take a hit and be more physical.

Sam Darnold RS SOPH QB USC - A ton to like about his game for sure, his confidence and his ability to create and how he can throw darts on the run.  But did make some mistakes and that safety had a total tell on him because he jumped multiple routes.  Yes he does make some great throws but Burnett makes some insane catches because the throws are indeed off the mark, might look a lot different without the talent around him.  Still if you put his confidence and swagger in Rosen's ability to throw the football in the pocket then you might really have something.  Regardless the kid is probably going to be a top 10 pick because of the QB need in the league, might not live up to those expectations however, will see.

tenor.gif

55 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

The critique about Rosen's personality is BS.

Maybe I am wrong.  I have never met the guy in person, but just watching on TV that is what I see in how he acts around other players and what his body language reads.  If leadership is not a big deal to you for a starting QB in the NFL then yeah might not be a problem at all.  If you want a true leader and outgoing personality as a QB on your NFL team, a real alpha male, yeah might be a problem.  

He cannot even be the lead personality or influence on a team with very few outstanding stars or or known elite football players.  Think about him on an NFL roster?  He is like it for real elite level talent on UCLA outside of a few talented young guys, and he still acts like he is the backup QB some of the time sitting over there by himself.

@Ozzy did you get a chance to watch the Texas Tech/Arizona State game?

I thought multiple players on both teams were outstanding, especially Nic Shimonek, Dylan Cantrell, Keke Coutee, Broderick Washington, Mych Thomas, Tony Jones and Dakota Allen for Tech and Manny Wilkins, N'Keal Harry, Kyle Williams and JoJo Wicker for ASU.

8 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

@Ozzy did you get a chance to watch the Texas Tech/Arizona State game?

I thought multiple players on both teams were outstanding, especially Nic Shimonek, Dylan Cantrell, Keke Coutee, Broderick Washington, Mych Thomas, Tony Jones and Dakota Allen for Tech and Manny Wilkins, N'Keal Harry, Kyle Williams and JoJo Wicker for ASU.

I did not get a chance to watch that game fully, was tuned into other games at that time.  Will be interesting to watch Texas Tech against Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas State, TCU and Texas.  See what they can do against those solid teams.  Arizona State cannot play defense and I am always a little weary of Texas Tech players to begin with because of that QB history in that system through the entire coaching tree.  

Texas Tech I think will have a hard time because many teams are using a up tempo fast paced passing offense, and they can actually play defense as well which allows them to win games.  Unless they change their identity and start to get better defensive players Texas Tech are always going to struggle to win and compete in the Big 12 and Nationally.   Kingsbury's record over the past three years has been not great, and that was with arguably their best QB to ever play at that school from a talent standpoint.  If you cannot stop anyone on defense it does not really matter all the offensive statistics that are put up, and it especially does not matter in terms of NFL development necessarily just because one has good college statistics on offense.  Will see what they do against the better competition on that schedule...  

Manny Wilkins is a very boarderline NFL talent, not really sure he is even a real true QB prospect just yet.  Harry is a great receiver, one of the best in the nation by far.  JoJo I liked at times last year, has decent quick twitch off the edge.  Crump is a good speed rusher for them as well and DJ Calhoun has some toughness at linebacker.  Was a O-lineman I liked on Texas Tech just quickly seeing him a little, need to watch him play more though.  

Archived