Ozzy's NFL Draft Prospect thread - (Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

10 hours ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

You said the same thing last year and then we had a top 10 NFL draft pick *shrugs*

True but they also won 5 games and he is the best QB to arguably ever play at that school which honestly is not saying much but still.  In terms of this year I am going to wait and see what they do especially offensively against teams with DBs who do not suck.  Be very curious how they play against Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU and West Virginia.  A win against any of those teams would be solid but not sure that will happen, will see....  A win against Arizona State might seem solid but really Arizona State is not in that great of spot as a program, have a few prospects like Harry and Crump but overall the team is not really that great.  

Week 4:

*Saquon Barkley JR RB Penn State: What a game by him, loved how he looked earlier this year and wow the kid is just a dynamo.  In terms of character, athletic ability and skill at the position he is the #1 overall pick.  Sure probably will not happen but the kid can do it all, literally carried that Penn State team basically the entire game as a rusher and a pass catcher.  Made multiple plays of a career in that one game alone.  Kid is awesome and possibly one of the best running backs I have ever seen, with a continued great year this season could rival the all time greats potentially at the position.  

*Bradley Chubb SR DE NC State: Guy has now put himself squarely into being a 1st round draft pick I think.  What a great game by him, has been very good for awhile but this year has really come out and became a dominating run stopper and pass rusher.  Thick, strong and tough, great looking talent and is playing like potentially the #1 DE in the up coming draft.  Kid played like an absolute man in that game and is a special talent in the day and age of speed rushers, a player that can play both the run and the pass from the DE spot.

*Anthony Nelson RS SOPH DE Iowa: Amazing game by him, probably his best at Iowa.  Loved his length and upside last year, really showed up in this game making plays getting his hands up, blocked a kick and had a few sacks.  Great potential with him and was part of a very solid effort defensively against a very powerful offense.

*CJ Conrad JR TE Kentucky: Very hard to find a tight end who is actually physical now a days.  Conrad possibly might be one of those guys, very strong and physical kid, not afraid of a little contact and is a solid athlete for a man his size.  Hope he keeps up this development, could become a very promising tight end with toughness and blocking ability in the future. 

*James Blackman FR QB Florida State: Made throws in that game maybe 3 other college quarterbacks currently could make.  Just a flat out rocket for an arm, still has a very long ways to go and is super raw but his big and tall and again has that cannon.  Big time talent, will be very interesting what happens next year when Francois is back healthy, also will be curious how he does as this season goes on.

*John O'Korn RS SR QB Michigan: Played his best game on Michigan easily and arguably should be the starter the rest of the season based on this game alone.  Great toughness especially on the move and avoiding tackles, that was very surprising to me.  Made some good throws and finally got those amazingly talented tight ends the freaking football.  Really good game against a much improved and tough Purdue defense especially in the front seven.  

*Deatrick Nichols SR S/CB USF: Was back to playmaking again, very interesting talent and love his toughness as a defensive back.  Could be a very nice slot corner at the next level or more of a safety which is where he is at now.  Great anticipation on his two interceptions and also caused a fumble as well.  Playing really impressive football for sure and making himself get noticed.

*Kurt Benkert SR QB Virginia: Made a lot of pro style throws in that football game, shows good solid leadership and passion on the sidelines as well.  Very interesting prospect potentially climbing up draft boards with how he has started this season.  Good in the pocket, has a nice release and a powerful throwing arm.  Has taken him awhile to produce like this but hard to argue the success he has found and the leadership he has shown on a Virginia team that does not have a great amount elite of talent on offense.  

*Jaylen Samuels SR RB NC State: Such an interesting prospect, just continues to make big plays in big moments.  Very interesting talent in how he can be used as a WR, RB or HB.  A team in the NFL will get him and he could be quite the weapon at the next level.  I think he is a solid 2nd round pick with the potential he shows as a RB with great pass catching skills, big time talent.

*Amani Hooker SOPH S Iowa: Wow he played a great game, was solid in coverage, made some mistakes but made a few plays back there as well.  Stocky player that is built well, can hit also, those other safeties better watch out he could be getting a lot more playing time the rest of the season if he keeps playing like this.  

*Travis Etienne FR RB Clemson: What an exciting player, mentioned him last week and no clue how he is not the starter yet for that team.  What explosive ability he has, amazing speed yet runs really low to the ground and is hard to take down, what a talent he is, potential super star right there, really exciting player to watch.  

*Ed Oliver SOPH DT Houston: Damn he is quick, so fast off the ball and so hard to handle.  His sack numbers are a little disappointing but teams are completely eyeing him on every play, and that defense overall is nothing outstanding.  Might be odd to say but almost too bad a talent like him is on a team like Houston, wish Oliver was able to go up against SEC type talent or even Big Ten type talent game in and game out, also would be curious how he would do with more talent around him.

*Jakobi Meyers SOPH WR NC State: Made that insane catch in that game and even more impressive was his almost landed running forward sommersault in the end zone.  Really impressive looking athlete and shoot the best safety in the nation as well on that play.  Will see if he can keep up this playmaking as the year goes on.

*Josey Jewell SR ILB Iowa:  Is the man once more, said already earlier this year is playing like a 1st round pick and did not disappoint again.  Great reaction time, tough kid, runs well and plays great down hill against the run.  Should a very solid inside linebacker at the next level and has had a great career, very productive over a very long period of time.

*Kadarius Toney FR WR Florida: Liked him last week, looked even better this week.  Just have to get the ball in his hands, is super quick and a potential big time  playmaker.  Great quickness and really like his ability to make defenders miss.  

*Ryan Finley JR QB NC State: Guy is very underrated, can make tight window throws, has good mechanics and a nice release.  After some of the hyped up juniors declare early this up coming draft year, watch out next year for Finley.  Kid is a solid looking prospect and could climb up the rankings either this season or next year.

*AJ Epenesa FR DE Iowa: Really impressive off the edge for Iowa, made the tackles a few times look quite bad with his speed and burst off the corner.  Really nice looking prospect and one to watch out for as the season goes on.  

*Quin Blanding SR S Virginia: Really solid safety, if he times well he will be a 1st round pick.  Only question is his overall athletic ability and speed I feel, as a tackler he gets offense players to the ground and does so consistently.  Makes plays and has been making plays for a very long time, nice prospect in terms of his consistency and his tackling ability from the safety spot.  

*Micah Kiser SR ILB Virginia: Will keep rising up draft boards I think, really good solid inside linebacker and could do extremely well in a 3/4 potentially.  Good in run defense, can take on blocks, not a outstanding athlete but is strong and thick, good consistent tackler who consistently makes plays on the field.  Could be a nice 3rd round prospect potentially if not a 2nd round guy, having a fine season.  

*Akrum Wadley SR RB Iowa: Another great game by him, just keeps shooting up the draft boards.  Love his big play potential and really flashed as a pass catcher more than once in that game.  Is basically the only real weapon on that entire offense yet he still makes plays in the football game.  He is having an outstanding year for them and really rounding out as a player this senior year.

*Gelen Robinson SR DE Purdue: Son of the Big Dog, kid can play, could be a very nice 3/4 DE at the next level.  Good tough athlete, gets good pressure at his size and can hold his own against the run.  Part of a surprisingly impressive front seven for Purdue.  Good talent, is totally worth a look come draft day I think.

*Auden Tate JR WR Florida State: Had a great game for them using his big body and making some very impressive catches.  Still ultimately the kid gets injured constantly it seems which is a huge issue and his overall speed and quickness I really question.  Hopefully he can come back off this injury but there are total questions with him that do have to be answered until he is considered an elite receiver.

*Devin Bush SOPH ILB Michigan: Kid is all over the field, love what he is showing in terms of pass rush ability from the inside linebacker spot.  Super quick player, is playing as good as any inside linebacker in the country and is extremely dangerous in blitz situations almost making him into one of the most feared pass rushers in the nation and that is coming from the ILB spot.  

*Christian Kirk JR WR Texas A&M: Great game by him, nice to see him break some big plays open.  Really on just return potential alone the kid is an extremely interesting talent, solid receiver but his return ability could make him very special at the next level.  Will see how he does as the season goes on.

*Filipo Mokofisi SR DT Utah: Need to watch him more but was super quick off the ball multiple times in that game.  Really active defensive tackle, see how he does as the season goes on.

*Andraez Williams FR CB LSU: One of the few bright spots on that defense, made some very impressive interceptions in that game one that was called back.  Very long and athletic kid and very smooth in coverage. Is one to watch for sure in that secondary that has been some what of a disappointment this year as has that defense overall.  

*Darius Anderson SOPH RB TCU: Awesome game for him, very smooth runner, good power and speed.  Makes it look easy and has really come on strong the past few games and really broke out this game.  Nice looking talent and appears to have a lot of upside at that position.

*Joshua Jackson JR CB Iowa: Played a very good game, one to watch going forward this season for sure.  Has really nice length, good toughness and made some impact plays throughout that game.

*Brian Lewerke SOPH QB Michigan State: Was not a great showing for Michigan State but this kid at QB has some potential.  Has decent arm strength and impressive athletic ability, made some very good throws in that game though.  Curious how he does the rest of the year, has decent upside and potential though I think.

*Tyre McCants SR WR/FB USF: I need to watch him more for sure but is a very interesting talent.  Was brought up he looks like a fullback, but really that could be a great position for him at the next level, and could be a great weapon at that spot as well.  Really thick and powerful kid, but again need to see more of his skill set on the field.  

Others who impressed:

Josh Allen JR LB Kentucky

Steven Wright SOPH DE Virginia 

Chase Winovich SR DE Michigan

Dakota Allen JR ILB Texas Tech

Derrek Thomas JR CB Temple

Cedric Wilson SR WR Boise State

Sihiem King JR RB Kentucky

Darius Tice SR RB USF

Keke Coutee JR WR Texas Tech

Josh Sweat JR DE Florida State

Disappointed:

0dcad3b38c5b910f9c4eb2ec90006f19.gif

Kyle Allen RS JR QB Houston - Super disappointed in him, expected a lot out of him with those experienced receivers coming back, sure the offensive line is terrible and they have almost no run game so that does not help.  But kid has arm talent and is really lacking confidence in making throws and does not look comfortable out there.  Thankful for him he has another year after this season to turn it around after this season, will see how he does as time goes on.  Showed tons of promise as a young player, not living up to that right now at all.

Josh Allen JR QB Wyoming -  Only saw a little of that game but wow, very unproductive outing.  I had him honestly as a sleeper 2nd round pick to start the year, then the talk of him being top 3 overall and I guess sure with assumed development as a player that could happen.  That assumed development has not happen and he has not played all that well with the changes in his receiving core.  Which could be good for him in the end and coming back as a senior.  But with how this season has started no way should he go out for the draft with his tape so far.  Has tons of hype but be interesting to see how he deals with his moving forward.  

Trace McSorley JR QB Penn State - Really saved himself with that final drive, because up until that point he was awful out there.  Really struggled just making simple throws, was not protected at all to his credit but his size really limits him in pressure.  Great competitor and leader but ultimately is probably just a really exciting college QB to watch and his pro potential is not much at all.  Had one heck of a game winning throw though in a pressure situation, got to love his heart and passion he plays with though.  

Nick Fitzgerald JR QB Miss State - Will thankfully quiet all the Fitzgerald love as a QB, good kid and physical player.  But yeah he is not this elite NFL prospect at QB just because he is 6-5 230 and has had some good games.  Struggles to pass the football a lot at times, cannot just win with his arm, will see if he can continue to develop this year and next season, still has a long ways to go.  See if he can make the jump as a junior to senior in terms of his passing that Dak did.

Derwin James SOPH S Florida State - Kid is still a top 5 talent arguably, still a great player.  It is just so odd to see him miss a tackle like he did in this game in the open field.  Does need to play better and make more impact on the game, had a few moments but expected more out of him in terms of playmaking.  The long layoff did not help of course with him or that team.  Will see how he does as the season goes on and if he can round back into form which I expect him to.

Arden Key JR OLB LSU - Does not look like the same kind of player, still coming off injury and not in game shape potentially.  Had some life issues obviously that are a question mark as well this past summer.  Be curious how he does, the LSU D and O line just look totally sub par, they have tons of transfers especially in the OL and that DL does not look very good.  See how that effects Key as a player, that entire team just looks off and are not very physical at all.  If he does not have a great year he would be wise to come back for another season, hope he can get back to the player he was last year and will see what kind of leadership he brings the rest of this season as well.  Going to have to really bring it and up his game with the limitations that defense has shown so far this year.

Mason Rudolph SR QB Ok State - Had a lot of trouble with pressure in his face, was under a lot of it because of missing guys on the OL.  Needed to quicken his pace and release but that seemed to make him uncomfortable.  Still made some nice throws but not a great outing for him because of the turnovers, with that defensive secondary though they will have to be in a lot more shootouts like this for them to win games.

Derrick Kelly JR OT Florida State - Got completely destroyed in that game by Chubb, showed some nice potential at guard last year a few times.  Is probably not a tackle prospect at all after this showing, that entire FSU line still really struggles to pass protect.  I feel sorry for any QB back there for them at this point with some of the shots they take week in and week out.  

On 9/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, DalCowboyzRule said:

@Ozzy If you have 3 hours you wanna kill...

Was able to watch Texas Tech against Houston this past week.  Was pretty shocked at how well they played defense, but that could have been just a bad Houston offense as well.  Keke Coutee is the best prospect, but even with him I could name 20-24 junior receivers alone better than him, not super rare to have a quick fast slot receiver that can go all over the field in the college game and make plays.  If he does so in the big games will help him but still need to see more out of him before I would call him elite.  

TJ Vasher I think has a ton of potential physically, but still has a long ways to go but a lot to work with at that great size and looks to be a good athlete.  Derrick Willies is a ok talent, too bad he is a senior, could maybe get drafted but I doubt it in a deep receiver draft class.  See if he can continue to be a deep threat against quality defensive backs.  Desmond Nisby I am kind of a player like that is even on the roster, smart move get a tough physical runner.  Probably not an NFL talent but for a football team nice to be a little physical for a change I am sure. Nic Shimonek too bad for them is a senior, just a system guy obviously but has some potential but as a RS senior doubt he will be drafted, maybe could be a UDFA guy, seems solid and to be a good leader for them despite sitting for a long time waiting his turn.  Dakota Allen I thought played well at that inside linebacker spot, was all over the field, very active and read plays well.  Again generally the defense played a lot more solid than I thought they would be, see if they can do that later this year.  Would be shocked if they played this well against Ok State or TCU or Oklahoma or West Virginia.  That will tell a lot, did get a big win on the road which is rare for this program I feel, but again might mean more how out of sync Houston offensively is, will see.

Overall if they play like that consistently this year maybe they finally realized you need toughness on a football team, you need to be physical and you need to be able to run the ball.  Not just throw it all over, not be able to control the ball offensively have a defense that gets walked up and down the field on.  Still Kingsbury's record the past three years has been pretty bad, and again with the programs best QB ever on the roster.  So he is questionable as a coach I feel in terms of what he brings as a philosophy and does not really have an identity outside of his freaking Ryan Gosling shades on the sideline.  Sure used to be rare to have an offense like this, now almost every team has an offense like this so his brand is not new or different.  Rather play at Texas Tech with this offense or Oklahoma, yeah few if any would say Texas Tech in terms of top recruits.  Just in that conference alone it is like everyone runs the same type of offense almost, and yeah that will be hard to recruit against that unless you start to become a little different.  This win is a nice step but will see how he does against the big boys later on.

Out of the guys you mentioned...

Keke Coutee - love him, I think he could be Percy Harvin 2.0. he's just electric with the ball in his hands.

Vasher does have potential but so far he hasn't done much. But yeah 6'6, can run, and will probably start for us next season as a RS Sophomore. excited to see more of him.

Willies had an awful game this weekend. drops, penalties, and overall just a really bad game from him. As of now he's probably a 7th/UDFA. he reminds me of Brice Butler.

Nisby is a huge back, we've never had a guy like him. he didn't do too much against Houston but was good in the previous 2 games. Not an NFL prospect though, he's already 25 years old.

We'll see on Shim but I could see him as a mid round draft pick if he keeps up the good play. He's just as good as Mason Rudolph at least.

Dakota Allen is a stud and if you want to love him more just watch Last Chance U Season 2.

A guy you didn't mention is Jordyn Brooks. True sophomore starting MLB, he got our 2nd INT against Houston before getting hurt but he is generally considered our best defender and he's super legit. He would probably start for every team in the nation and I'm super excited to watch him over these next 3 years. Watch him this weekend against OSU if he plays (he has a knee injury but we'll see).

15 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Out of the guys you mentioned...

Keke Coutee - love him, I think he could be Percy Harvin 2.0. he's just electric with the ball in his hands.

Vasher does have potential but so far he hasn't done much. But yeah 6'6, can run, and will probably start for us next season as a RS Sophomore. excited to see more of him.

Willies had an awful game this weekend. drops, penalties, and overall just a really bad game from him. As of now he's probably a 7th/UDFA. he reminds me of Brice Butler.

Nisby is a huge back, we've never had a guy like him. he didn't do too much against Houston but was good in the previous 2 games. Not an NFL prospect though, he's already 25 years old.

We'll see on Shim but I could see him as a mid round draft pick if he keeps up the good play. He's just as good as Mason Rudolph at least.

Dakota Allen is a stud and if you want to love him more just watch Last Chance U Season 2.

A guy you didn't mention is Jordyn Brooks. True sophomore starting MLB, he got our 2nd INT against Houston before getting hurt but he is generally considered our best defender and he's super legit. He would probably start for every team in the nation and I'm super excited to watch him over these next 3 years. Watch him this weekend against OSU if he plays (he has a knee injury but we'll see).

In no way does Coutee have the strength Harvin has, Harvin literally was a running back on Florida multiple times in that offense and carried the ball really well, even played running back with certain plays in the NFL and was successful in doing that.  In no way is Coutee that tough or that strong or that athletic.  Interesting talent but he has a long ways to go to become elite like I said much less become a duel threat running back, slot receiver and return man like Percy Harvin.  

Willies will most likely not be drafted, here is easily 30 receivers better than him right now and even more in terms of players who have actually accomplished a lot in college multiple seasons.  Take Marquez Valdes-Scantling on USF, boarderline receiver talent, but he is just as big and probably just as fast as Willies is if not faster.  So a tall guy that can stretch the field is not super rare, will see how he does as the year goes on but being drafted is not exactly that easy.

As for Brooks I need to watch him more but to start on any team in the nation.  I seriously doubt that, many teams have three or four linebackers better than he is easily, thus he would not be a starter for everyone.  Will see, sure Texas Tech can become legit if they win some big games, but it is all hype as of right now until they win a big time game.  

Just edited my mock 7 round draft ranking the other day.  Here are the five guys I have potentially play themselves into being 1st round picks so far this season.  The rest of I had on there and either some fell out, some might not even declare based on injury or performance and some are still in there just moved around.  

*Bradley Chubb NC State DE SR - Such a solid strong football player, really showed up last week and if he keeps up that level of play he will easily be a 1st round talent.  Rare strong defensive end that can play the run and the pass.

*Roquan Smith Georgia ILB JR - Really taking advantage playing in that Kirby Smart defense, is very productive just like all the Alabama inside linebackers.  Might not declare early but his athletic ability and the quickness he has getting to the football as a inside linebacker is very interesting.  Still has work to do but his potential is huge I think and with a continued fine season could sneak into the 1st round.

*Equanimeous St. Brown Notre Dame WR JR - Did not have him as a early declare guy but he is so skilled.  Love his route running ability and hands, makes hard catches look very easy.  Great size for the position as well and damn good speed at that size.  1st round talent I feel for sure if he comes out.

*Josey Jewell Iowa ILB SR - Had him on the fringe of being a 1st round guy, has played like one on the field for sure.  Is smart, tough and extremely consistent in terms of playmaking and staying healthy.  Very nice prospect and deserves a 1st round grade I feel.

*Deontay Burnett JR WR USC - Kid is so dynamic as a pass catcher, has amazing hands and a great first step, blazing speed and a good solid build.  Is trending straight up I think based on what he did in the Bowl game last year and so far this season.

These guys are very close to playing themselves into being 1st round picks, but obviously there is a limit.  Bates is a long shot to declare but still is a fine talent and Davis just has to show up in the big games.  Mayfield is very close as well, having a fine season and Jackson might be the wild card, great pass rushing talent.  

Baker Mayfield Oklahoma QB SR
Christian Kirk Texas A&M WR JR
Jessie Bates III Wake Forest S RS SOPH 
Carlton Davis Auburn CB JR
Chase Hansen Utah S RS JR 
Darius Jackson Jacksonville SR OLB

Oh and Happy Birthday Avril Lavigne!  
tumblr_mt0ew2CDBi1qj8eh0o3_250.gif

23 minutes ago, lark25 said:

do you see Jewell as a Sean Lee type guy?

Not exactly.  Sean Lee I thought was more of an imposing athlete on the field and potentially longer in terms of his wingspan.  Could really hold his own physically and be a force out there.  Jewell is more of a tough guy who can run, finds the ball well but is not amazing at getting off blocks with pure strength but can get things done still.  Lee is very good at getting off blocks using his hands and being a force back there, also can really run as well for his size.  Still Jewell is a very good prospect but I expect him to be smaller than listed come the combine.  In terms of this draft could be as good as it gets as a ILB, but if Roquan Smith continues to play well he might be able to jump him with his potential and upside athletically.  Is Jewell better than the ILBs in this past years draft in terms of potential, no.  I would take Cunningham, Foster, J. Davis and even McMillian over Jewell.  Still very interesting player with how good he has been for so long, really good getting after the football and consistently making plays.  

Week 5:

*Jordan Chunn SR RB Troy: Great game by him, awful fumbles however but still the kid was legit and ran extremely hard and showed surprising athletic ability in that game.  Liked him a lot last year, good power runner, strong and tough with ability to block as well.  Could transition to a FB at the next level also, but as a running back he shows a lot of promise and I thought he would be drafted before the season now for sure the kid will be drafted as a running back.  Nice looking talent and ability, literally has carried that team to quite a lot of success recently this year and last.

*Joel Lanning SR LB Iowa State: I need to watch him more but wow kid is very impressive as a former QB playing linebacker.  Tough as can be, quick to react and good getting after the ball carrier.  Again need to see him more but could develop into a draft prospect at linebacker for sure by the end of the season.

*Dorian O'Daniel SR OLB Clemson: Kid is all over the field making plays, added some weight from last season and is really rounding out into a fine outside linebacker, great speed, is like a safety down there.  Very good reaction time, very comfortable in coverage and playing some great football.  Is making himself into being possibly a mid round draft pick if he keeps this up, having a fine season.

*Jalen Hurts SOPH QB/RB Alabama:  I was hard on him last year with all the fumble issues and terrible passing.  Has improved a lot and finally is making some big plays in the passing game down field.  Letting some of those very talented receivers shine that is for sure.  Has tons of talent around him and have to like his leadership and calm style yet still very strong and tough mentally and physically.  As a running back prospect he is very interesting I think, with that leg power and drive, he could be a player at the next level at running back if his passing does not improve more.  Sure lower body power and runs so easily, is one of the better runners on the team filled with the best running back core in the entire country.

*Malek Young SOPH CB Miami FL: Very impressed with how he played against Rahming on Duke, stayed with that speed demon quite well and frustrated him and that Duke passing attack.  Need to watch Young more but plays a lot bigger than he is and looks to be a very smooth and talented cover man for sure.

*Stanley Morgan Jr. JR WR Nebraska:  I liked what he showed last year and he is still impressing this season.  Really nice sound route runner, good hands and knows how to play the position for sure.  Is doing it all with pretty terrible QB play as well.  Very interesting talent for sure, really nice smooth and polished wide receiver prospect, be interesting if he comes out early or not.  Not sure he is an elite player but is very sound.

*Rashaan Evans SR ILB Alabama:  Nice to see him back and healthy, early in that game destroyed that offense completely with blitzing up the middle from the inside back spot.  Has that amazing open field speed for a linebacker.  Wish he would show that more on the edge in terms of pass rusher.  But when healthy he is a very interesting talent because of his overall athletic ability in space as a linebacker.  Needs to get stronger and more physical, has the talent to be a 1st round pick but most likely is more of a 2nd round guy or 3rd rounder.

*DK Metcalf FR WR Ole Miss:  Damn he is physically impressive as they come.  Just a tank as a receiver, very strong and built, still has a long ways to go and not sure this program or system is the right spot for him.  Still as a freshman he is one to watch as his career moves on.

*Carlos Davis SOPH DT Nebraska: Liked him last year a lot, very strong and physical tackle.  Very thick and really strong leg draft and can hold his own for sure.  Interesting talent and could develop into a very nice player down the road.

*Jordan Thomas SR TE Miss State: I need to see more of him but wow, 6-5 280.  Looks at least 30 pounds less than that and moves pretty well.  Still has a really long ways to go for sure in terms of a lot of things, but is interesting at that size and worth watching, hopefully he can get more involved and show what he has this year.

Others who impressed:

Tre'Quan Smith JR WR UCF

Adrian Killins Jr SOPH RB UCF

Ahmmon Richards SOPH WR Miami FL

Jarrett Johnson SR DE Texas A&M

Disappointed:

Marquis Haynes SR OLB Ole Miss - I was not a huge fan of his last year because seemed too much like a one trick guy.  Well this year he is totally invisible out there and cannot get to the QB either.  Was a specialist guy as a FR-SOPH on some much more talented and solid defensive units, made huge plays as a pass rusher with quickness in the 'Land Shark" defense.  Now that unit is a joke and is started last year and is even worse this season.  Haynes really needs to pick up his game, if he is drafted it will be only on his previous tape and not much of what he has done this year.

Arden Key JR OLB LSU - Again not impressed with his play, is very out of shape it seems and no where close to what he was last year.  If he is this behind the eight ball it would be wise to come back to school for another year.  Especially considering how bad the season is going, and he is not doing much in terms of leadership it seems either on the field or on the sidelines.  Hard spot for him, on potential might be a 1st round pick but on how he plays right now, no way.  Really struggling like that entire LSU team which I pointed out earlier this season.

Not a very long or comprehensive week 5.  I had to help put up a grain bin so missed some games in the morning and afternoon on Saturday......

Ralph-Wiggum-image-ralph-wiggum-36389331

I like your write ups, Ozzy. Keep up the fantastic work!

Rashaan Evans & Steven Richardson are two guys who may not go in the 1st round, but I think will be tremendous skills. Do you have anymore thoughts on those fellas?

8 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

I like your write ups, Ozzy. Keep up the fantastic work!

Rashaan Evans & Steven Richardson are two guys who may not go in the 1st round, but I think will be tremendous skills. Do you have anymore thoughts on those fellas?

Evans like I said I think he will be a 2nd round guy or at worst 3rd rounder.  He has tons of talent but has been inconsistent on the field and has gotten injured quite often on and off throughout his career.  Love his speed and athletic ability but needs to be able to take on blocks a little better and be more productive as a tackler.  Would love again for him to be more of a speed rusher off the edge but he has not show the ability to do that like some other Bama linebackers.  As an athlete though in space he is very interesting as a linebacker prospect.

Steven Richardson I had as a 2nd round pick possibly coming into the year.  Not sure he is playing like that, might be the system change but he does not seem as productive this season as he was last year.  He was lot more productive as a pass rusher last season and made far more impact plays.  Still as a talent he is an interesting tackle prospect for sure and will be picked at worst in the 3rd round I think.  Still has to pick up his game and reach his potential a little more as a senior being his last season I think.  Letting go of Jay Sawvel was a bad idea I think, he was a fine defensive coach and overall that other staff produced a lot of very productive defensive players over the past few years.  Also with PJ Fleck and his magic recruiting ability, last time I checked almost no freshman on that team are making big plays, it is all guys that were already here, not a great sign for this recruiting master, much less the games still are not sold out even with him as the head coach.   See what he does the rest of the year but clearly losing to Maryland with a 3rd string QB is never a awesome thing to start the Big Ten year.

Archived