Is Russell Wilson on a HOF pace?

TecmoSuperJoe

On 7/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, PapaShogun said:

No I don't think so. Not in this age. I don't think you can have a Steve Young/Troy Aikman like career where you have 7 or 8 solid years of play with a Super Bowl title, and still hope to get in. Not when your current peers are guys like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady who have played consistent quality ball for 15 years. The bar has been raised since the 1990's. I think you need at least ten years as a starter with mostly quality seasons in addition to having at least a ring, and having a year or more where you were arguably the best QB in football if you weren't anointed already. Wilson's six seasons wouldn't be enough. Especially with zero All Pros. Not even 2nd team.

I don't know that someone has to be THE BEST but he has to be in rare air....say top 3-5 at their position. Wilson arguably is there, if we figure that most of his career was Brady/Brees/Rodgers, with Manning for the first few years and also Philip Rivers competing for the #5 spot with Wilson and Roethlisberger (don't even start with that Eli Manning sh*t). Given that 1 of those 5 is retired and 3 of them could have their final season any time, that would put him in with competing with the next generation, like Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton, where he's clearly in the mix for "best QB today" and probably neck and neck with a healthy Luck for that honour. The next bunch - Goff, Mahomes, Wentz, Mayfield (really projecting here) don't have any real basis on which to say HoF or not even. Too soon. 

So even if Mahomes is the real deal, I'd say Mahomes, Luck, and Wilson have a good shot to be jockeying for "best QB of the decade" for the next 6-7 yrs. Which would give Wilson some HoF juice. I'm discounting Goff because he seems to have holes in his game which may or may not get fixed or exposed, and Wentz because he seems to have bad luck with injuries, and Mayfield, as said above, had a promising rookie season but who knows where it goes from there. 

So I agree - Wilson has had a very good career with moments of greatness so far, but falls just short right now; he needs a similar or better back half to lock up the HoF IMO. 

On 7/27/2018 at 5:50 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Would love to see what seasons Wilson has had that compares to Eli’s 2011 carrying a team to a Super Bowl or Ben’s 2014 where he carried the Steelers O.

In 2017 he threw for about 4000 yds and ran for 500+ with 3 tds....he basically accounted for something like 75-80% of the teams yds and all but one of their offensive tds for a 9-7 Seahawks squad. 

I don't know what you'd call it, but that looks like carrying a team to me. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

What records of Marino's is he breaking? 

Most passing completions in a single season (392)

Most passing completions in a rookie season (282)

Highest completion percentage, career (62.2%)

Highest completion percentage in a single season (66.4%)

Most passing yards in a rookie season (3,294)

Most passing attempts in a rookie season (484)

Most consecutive pass completions (25) - also an NFL record

^^these are Miami franchise records, not NFL records (except the last one)

It's going to be harder and harder to make the Hall with inflated numbers. Compilers will get more props but Wilson doesn't seem to me like that guy. In which case he needs titles. Probably 2 more. Without which he needs to make the all-pros. But to answer the OP, at this point no. Not when you have guys throwing for 50 TDs.

39 minutes ago, x0x said:

It's going to be harder and harder to make the Hall with inflated numbers. Compilers will get more props but Wilson doesn't seem to me like that guy. In which case he needs titles. Probably 2 more. Without which he needs to make the all-pros. But to answer the OP, at this point no. Not when you have guys throwing for 50 TDs.

I dunno, I think that it's less "compilers" and more have 5ish years of absolute, best-in-the-game excellence AND have another 5-10 yrs of very good, solid production. Sometimes it isn't until the career is over that you look and say "yeah, that guy deserves it." 

Of course, I think it's stupid to measure players by titles; unfortunately for me, the voters don't - my example was Kurt Warner; he basically had a Staubach/Young type career of some years as a backup/spot starter/dealing with injury with years of absolute supernova (99-01) and extremely good, even MVP caliber years (07-09, with 08 being an MVP-worthy season). I think his numbers made a good case for him; bottom line is I think he was voted in because all the other 2x MVPs and 3 time SB starters are in. 

6 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Most passing completions in a single season (392)

Most passing completions in a rookie season (282)

Highest completion percentage, career (62.2%)

Highest completion percentage in a single season (66.4%)

Most passing yards in a rookie season (3,294)

Most passing attempts in a rookie season (484)

Most consecutive pass completions (25) - also an NFL record

^^these are Miami franchise records, not NFL records (except the last one)

Huh. I guess I kinda regard most rookie QB records as "that's nice." GB has had Starr, Favre, and Rodgers and their total rookie #s are 33/65 for 390, 2 tds, and 6 ints. Or look at the rookie seasons of Brees, Brady, Staubach, Young, Montana, etc etc. 

It's a step above the "first (insert position) with (insert 3 or 4 arbitrary stats)" - I mean, sure, in most cases it's an interesting accomplishment but it's tough to think of it as any sort of notable "record." 

EDIT - and I know you were just putting this up to indicate EXACTLY that - Tannehill has done some nice things in his career, but he's nothing super great. But someone cherry-picking could make a case that he's "breaking DAN MARINO'S records, yo"  

Archived