Is Russell Wilson on a HOF pace?

TecmoSuperJoe

Better question is, if he retired today, what are his HOF chances? Be a pretty unique candidate, as we haven't seen any modern QBs with short but sweet careers a la Sterling Sharpe, just doesn't happen for obvious reasons.

SB Champ

4x pro bowler

6 seasons of good to great QB play

Didn't revolutionize game, but was one of a few central figures in making the read option "main stream" in the NFL

2nd all time in passer rating

I'd go no, 6 seasons is simply too short for a QB, but if you extrapolate what he's done to just 10 seasons, I think you've got a HOF lock.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:05 PM, sammymvpknight said:

He’s much more deserving than Eli or Big Ben. At least he has been an elite QB at some point in his career. 

Well that's all I needed to see to now harshly judge your football IQ every time you post. Ben Roethlisberger is one of my top 5 most-hated athletes of all-time so it pains me to say this, but your post is ridiculous. To imply that he hasn't ever been an elite QB is beyond laughable. Much more deserving than Ben Roethlisberger....gtfo!!!

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Better question is, if he retired today, what are his HOF chances?

Zero.  Similar play but no more SBs with 4 more years?  Unlikely but possible.  4-6 more years and a second ring or another MVP candidate year and we're seriously talking about it.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Well that's all I needed to see to now harshly judge your football IQ every time you post. Ben Roethlisberger is one of my top 5 most-hated athletes of all-time so it pains me to say this, but your post is ridiculous. To imply that he hasn't ever been an elite QB is beyond laughable. Much more deserving than Ben Roethlisberger....gtfo!!!

I don’t hate Big Ben...I think that he’s been a very good QB, certainly a better one than Eli. But I don’t think that very good QBs should be in the HOF...only elite ones. Big Ben has never been on the level of the big 4 of our generation. Wilson is on a pace that definitely is exceeding Big Ben. Again, that’s not to say that Big Ben is trash...but I have high standards for HOF players. 

12 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Better question is, if he retired today, what are his HOF chances? Be a pretty unique candidate, as we haven't seen any modern QBs with short but sweet careers a la Sterling Sharpe, just doesn't happen for obvious reasons.

SB Champ

4x pro bowler

6 seasons of good to great QB play

Didn't revolutionize game, but was one of a few central figures in making the read option "main stream" in the NFL

2nd all time in passer rating

I'd go no, 6 seasons is simply too short for a QB, but if you extrapolate what he's done to just 10 seasons, I think you've got a HOF lock.

No I don't think so. Not in this age. I don't think you can have a Steve Young/Troy Aikman like career where you have 7 or 8 solid years of play with a Super Bowl title, and still hope to get in. Not when your current peers are guys like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady who have played consistent quality ball for 15 years. The bar has been raised since the 1990's. I think you need at least ten years as a starter with mostly quality seasons in addition to having at least a ring, and having a year or more where you were arguably the best QB in football if you weren't anointed already. Wilson's six seasons wouldn't be enough. Especially with zero All Pros. Not even 2nd team.

Also, Russell Wilson having the 2nd highest passer rating is really almost irrelevant. As more and more time passes, the traditional passer rating has lost more and more value. It really falters when taking era into account. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

No I don't think so. Not in this age. I don't think you can have a Steve Young/Troy Aikman like career where you have 7 or 8 solid years of play with a Super Bowl title, and still hope to get in.

Anyone with a Steve Young-like career would absolutely still get in the Hall of Fame.

Kurt Warner just made the HoF with only five good seasons, one SB, and not really being top all time in any major statistical category. Steve Young would easily make it.

If anything the positional value of QBs, rule changes creating longevity, and media hype makes it easier than ever.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Anyone with a Steve Young-like career would absolutely still get in the Hall of Fame.

Calling Steve Young's career "years of solid play" is a huge understatement.  Young and Warner are 2x MVPs with all-time great seasons.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t like players who aren’t/have never been top 1/2 (maaaaybe 3) at their position to get into the HOF - regardless of whether or not they accumulate stats or get rings. 

I mean, if he’s consistently 4th in the league and wins 8 Super Bowls, yeah, whatever. But I think HOFers should be the elite of the elite, and as good as Wilson has been despite some poor supporting casts, I don’t think he’s had that career height quite yet.

Then what do you think of Drew Brees getting in?  He's consistently been looked at as the distant 3rd or 4th best QB behind Brady and Manning, then Brady and Rodgers, even with years of people incorrectly putting other QBs ahead of him.

38 minutes ago, Raves said:

Then what do you think of Drew Brees getting in?  He's consistently been looked at as the distant 3rd or 4th best QB behind Brady and Manning, then Brady and Rodgers, even with years of people incorrectly putting other QBs ahead of him.

I don’t think Brees was consistently a distant 3rd or 4th. Back in the day, it was the “big 4”, that could’ve gone in any order and not have been wrong. He may have found himself towards the bottom of those lists, but it was never “distant”.

I like Wilson a lot. He’s in the top of the second tier of QBs (after Brady, Rodgers). But he has not shared that top tier like Brees did. Not yet anyway.

4 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Kurt Warner just made the HoF with only five good seasons, one SB, and not really being top all time in any major statistical category. Steve Young would easily make it.

If anything the positional value of QBs, rule changes creating longevity, and media hype makes it easier than ever.

Peak Kurt Warner was the best QB in the league and went to 3 Super Bowls and was a consistently excellent passer in the post season. 

Archived