Is Russell Wilson on a HOF pace?

TecmoSuperJoe

13 hours ago, SBLIII said:

He needs to turn the franchise around before his career is done to make it. Otherwise it will always be said he won because of an elite defense.

I mean...nothing wrong with having great help. Troy Aikman played nearly his entire career with Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and a quality roster. He didn't really turn anything around. Steve Young played his entire career with Jerry Rice on a team that was already a consistent winner. Elway didn't win without Terrell Davis. 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:52 PM, PapaShogun said:

I mean...nothing wrong with having great help. Troy Aikman played nearly his entire career with Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and a quality roster. He didn't really turn anything around. Steve Young played his entire career with Jerry Rice on a team that was already a consistent winner. Elway didn't win without Terrell Davis. 

Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman were beaten down before their rosters were upgraded. It was their talent which was the key in launching those great teams. Denver's three Super Bowl losses were more about their defenses being physically manhandled than Elway's problems.  

• 2 months later...

At this point, I think the threshold for what is considered a HOF player has fallen, and I think Russel Wilson can fairly easily meet that standard. I don't agree with those that say he is ALREADY a Hall of Famer, though.

He's only played 7 seasons. He has not yet put up a Hall of Fame caliber career, and I think it'll take another 5 years for him to reach that level. 

As for the topic, yes, he is on pace for a HoF career. 

Is every 1 out of every 3 long-term starters at QB going to be inducted to the HoF or what?

My thoughts on a lot of this. I'm still recovering from all of the "Eli is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer" talk that happened in 2011. I mean where do we draw the line? We have:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Kurt Warner
Brett Favre
Ben Roethlisberger
Aaron Rodgers

That's already a pretty decent amount of HoF QB's for this era, and I'm probably forgetting several guys. Then there's other "fringe" guys I have heard people claiming deserve HoF consideration:

Matt Ryan
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Russel Wilson

4 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

At this point, I think the threshold for what is considered a HOF player has fallen, and I think Russel Wilson can fairly easily meet that standard. I don't agree with those that say he is ALREADY a Hall of Famer, though.

He's only played 7 seasons. He has not yet put up a Hall of Fame caliber career, and I think it'll take another 5 years for him to reach that level. 

As for the topic, yes, he is on pace for a HoF career. 

My thoughts on a lot of this. I'm still recovering from all of the "Eli is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer" talk that happened in 2011. I mean where do we draw the line? We have:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Kurt Warner
Brett Favre
Ben Roethlisberger
Aaron Rodgers

That's already a pretty decent amount of HoF QB's for this era, and I'm probably forgetting several guys. Then there's other "fringe" guys I have heard people claiming deserve HoF consideration:

Matt Ryan
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Russel Wilson

Well, in the 80s/90s, you had 

Montana                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Marino                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Kelly
Moon
Aikman
Elway
Young

And Favre can go in either, considering his MVPs were in the 90s.

So maybe a few more from this era, but nothing too egregious, IMO.  Although, I don't think Eli should get in, he might considering the circumstances.  Rivers is questionable, Ryan shouldn't get in either.  There's some young guys playing right now that could potentially get in eventually, but I'd consider them part of the next generation.  Wilson is kinda like Favre, could be considered a part of either era. 

I'm probably forgetting some, but I don't think it's too crazy to think Wilson could get in. 

51 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well, in the 80s/90s, you had 

Montana                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Marino                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Kelly
Moon
Aikman
Elway
Young

I guess I didn't think about it that way. You had a similar amount of HoF guys in that era. I was an infant during those times, so I don't really know, but I wonder if people thought that some of those guys would be shoe-ins or if they were on the brink. And yeah, Favre can fit in either of them. 

But it is conceivably possible that any of: 

Matt Ryan
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Russel Wilson
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

could make it in. Depending on the rest of their careers, one or more of these guys could end up getting in. But if we are calling guys like Russel a shoe-in already, then that opens up a flood of HoF QBs that may be a bit much. 

I don't think a lot of fans really get what Wilson is doing.

No QB in history....

Put up back to back passer ratings of 100 in his first two seasons.

Won more games in their first seven seasons.

4000passing yards/30 tds/500 rushing yards in a season.

26 TD;s as a rookie (tied Peyton)

More TD passes in the fourth Q in a season.

Only Rodgers a higher passer rating in a career.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Led the NFL with 34 td passes

Led the NFL with a 110.1 passer rating.

Two SB's in first three seasons.

His stats superior to all QB;s with just seven seasons experience.

We have an historically great QB right now with Russell Wilson. What QB was better in his first seven seasons, he's going to get even better.  And he has never had that Hall of Fame receiver, no Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones etc etc.

5 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

No QB in history....

Okay but that's how the era is now. Tannehill is breaking a bunch of Marino's stats but nobody is going to claim he's in the same stratosphere.

Comparing statistics and "how quickly X breaks Y benchmark" doesn't tell me if he's a HoF QB.

On 26/09/2018 at 1:36 AM, rich homie said:

He needs to really carry his teams to either some high seeds or deep playoff runs. So far the more the Seahawks have relied on him the uglier they've looked, which doesn't bode well.

Lol, it's because they clearly saw that they don't have the personnel to have a passing attack like KC/Pats. The Oline is meant to run block, the receivers are not elite (Baldwin is hurt this year). And running the ball is better for that defense. They are doing that with Drew Brees the past 2 years too.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Okay but that's how the era is now. Tannehill is breaking a bunch of Marino's stats but nobody is going to claim he's in the same stratosphere.

Comparing statistics and "how quickly X breaks Y benchmark" doesn't tell me if he's a HoF QB.

Started from day one.

Won more games than any QB after first seven seasons.

Holds numerous NFL records.

SB's/pro bowls.

IF...we do talk historical stats at same stage of the career, there is Russell Wilson.

No QB ever looked better before their 8th season.  If you can find one....who?

Archived