Titans sign Taylor Lewan 5 year, 80 mil

Justin615$

14 minutes ago, El ramster said:

You you cold hearted man. Didn’t he drop 50

on the titans? I mean good luck dealing with those 2 juggernauts. 

He did. Doesn't mean a damn thing though. Worst game the Titans have played since 2009 lol  

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Are the comments of him being a top 3-5 LT just Titans’ fans’ thoughts? I never would have considered naming him top 5. 10-15 for sure. But 5?

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

just off the top of my head:

Duane Brown

Jason Peters

Tyron Smith

Trent Williams

Andrew Whitworth

Joe Staley

Jake Matthews

Donald Penn

I would probably put Lewan somewhere below the top 5, but IMO after you get from guys like Williams and Whitworth, there's a significant drop to guys like Penn, Jake Matthews, Ronnie Stanley, Taylor Decker, Bahktiari, etc. and Lewan is probably between 5-10 for me.

Duane Brown??? 3 of the guys you listed are coming off of their worst seasons as aging veterans. And another aging vet seems to be on his downslope too. Really looks like you just picked big name guys.

Lewan is comfortably behind a healthy Tyron Smith, a healthy Trent Williams, and Lane Johnson. He’s either above or right there with virtually every other tackle.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Duane Brown??? 3 of the guys you listed are coming off of their worst seasons as aging veterans. And another aging vet seems to be on his downslope too. Really looks like you just picked big name guys.

Lewan is comfortably behind a healthy Tyron Smith, a healthy Trent Williams, and Lane Johnson. He’s either above or right there with virtually every other tackle.

Pretty much. Lewan is easily better than guys like Duane Brown and Donald Penn...

1 minute ago, renndawg37 said:

Pretty much. Lewan is easily better than guys like Duane Brown and Donald Penn...

And Joe Staley. And Jake Matthews. I’d have him over Whitworth too but that’s at least...a discussion, unlike the others. 

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

And Joe Staley. And Jake Matthews. I’d have him over Whitworth too but that’s at least...a discussion, unlike the others. 

The mistkae you're making is thinking I was listing people in an order, which I wasn't. I was just naming guys off the top of my head. I stand by my assessment though that Lewan is somewhere between 5-10, closer to 5 than 10.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Staley is a conversation, at least for last year. Moving forward you'd take lewan, but hard pressed to say he was better last year or right now. Staley was a beast.

16 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

The mistkae you're making is thinking I was listing people in an order, which I wasn't. I was just naming guys off the top of my head. I stand by my assessment though that Lewan is somewhere between 5-10, closer to 5 than 10.

Nope, didn’t make that mistake. Some of those guys are solid/good, but not really in Lewan’s category. Duane Brown? Please.

He’s fine in the 5-10 range. Behind Tyron, Trent, and Lane. Probably behind Bakhtiari and close with Peters. So if you want him 6 or 7, I’m game. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Staley is a conversation, at least for last year. Moving forward you'd take lewan, but hard pressed to say he was better last year or right now. Staley was a beast.

I’d make that claim, granted I didn’t watch all of the SF early games. He was very good, but Lewan is close to the elite category. Same argument I’d have with Whitworth, who didn’t have his usual year in pass protection.

58 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

tbh this thread is just evidence of how much the fans of a team can truly overrate a player they like. I listed like 8-10 guys who are not named Lewan who I feel are good players. I don't have all of them over Lewan. I even said as much:

Ok. Out of curiosity, could you list out your top 5? Since you feel Lewan is below it. Because I do agree that Penn, Matthews, Stanley, and Decker are a significant tier below, yet you seem to lump Lewan in with them.

At any rate, not trying to waste time arguing the merits of the player, if you don't agree that's fine. Wrong, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. 

Can Titans fans be homers, just like other fanbases? Absolutely. But I don't think anyone is proclaiming him to be the best, just top 3-5 as his play has proven over the past few years. Would it be fair for Packer fans to call Aaron Rodgers a top 3 quarterback? Or Patriots fans with Tom Brady? Is that also those fanbases "overrating" their player?

Honestly, I wish we had better evaluations of offensive line play. You basically have the eye test ( and you can't really use that as a point of comparison since none of us watches every game of every team), raw stats (sacks allowed, penalties, and pressures allowed if you can find it. I think there is some advanced run blocking stats out there as well, but don't think it's readily available) and pff grading

Just sucks that the only real baseline for comparison on offensive linemen is PFF and pro bowl/all pro voting....

This is a good deal for both sides.  Lewan is a fantastic player and as others have said... in a few years the next elite tackle that receives their payday will get more than this.  It's not like Lewan is some underachiever who got overpaid.  The guy is great and has been great.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Ok. Out of curiosity, could you list out your top 5? Since you feel Lewan is below it. Because I do agree that Penn, Matthews, Stanley, and Decker are a significant tier below, yet you seem to lump Lewan in with them.

At any rate, not trying to waste time arguing the merits of the player, if you don't agree that's fine. Wrong, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. 

Can Titans fans be homers, just like other fanbases? Absolutely. But I don't think anyone is proclaiming him to be the best, just top 3-5 as his play has proven over the past few years. Would it be fair for Packer fans to call Aaron Rodgers a top 3 quarterback? Or Patriots fans with Tom Brady? Is that also those fanbases "overrating" their player?

Peters

Williams

Tyron Smith

Staley

Whitworth

On 7/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, Darth Pees said:

Peters

Williams

Tyron Smith

Staley

Whitworth

Fair enough, I could see someone try to argue those guys in the top 5.

I would also argue that someone could state Lewan should be ahead of the guys who have been injured (some coming off season ending injuries) such as Jason Peters, Trent Williams, and Tyron Smith.

I'm a huge fan of Andrew Whitworth myself, but I feel Lewan is ahead of Staley.

It's curious that your list seems to be more about 'who has been considered the best the past few years' (with the notable exception of Staley) rather than how they are today. Hopefully those coming off injuries bounce back to form, but in the case of a guy like Jason Peters, with his age, it remains to be seen.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Fair enough, I could see someone try to argue those guys in the top 5.

I would also argue that someone could state Lewan should be ahead of the guys who have been injured (some coming off season ending injuries) such as Jason Peters, Trent Williams, and Tyron Smith.

I'm a huge fan of Andrew Whitworth myself, but I feel Lewan is ahead of Staley.

It's curious that your list seems to be more about 'who has been considered the best the past few years' (with the notable exception of Staley) rather than how they are today. Hopefully those coming off injuries bounce back to form, but in the case of a guy like Jason Peters, with his age, it remains to be seen.

My list is absolutely what you suggest, and guys like Lewan and Bahktiari are certainly trending upwards while Staley and Whitworth trend down.

Archived