Titans sign Taylor Lewan 5 year, 80 mil

Justin615$

15 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

My list is absolutely what you suggest, and guys like Lewan and Bahktiari are certainly trending upwards while Staley and Whitworth trend down.

Yup. And I can see a gap between that group of 7 and the next group of LTs.

But I'm curious as to why it would be 'overrating' him by Titans fans to declare him top 5 or 3, especially since Joe Thomas retired.

Good talk at any rate fam.

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Paying RBs a ton of money is incredibly stupid and no one should do it. They're a dime a dozen and if you put your resources in to the o-line and build a good one, it doesn't really matter who the RB is.

QB, defense and o-line are what matters in the NFL I feel. Scraps at receiver, TE and RB are fine.

Dime a dozen is an overused term. We’ve seen how terrible Dallas was running without Zeke. If it was so easy to find a serviceable one then less teams would have sucky running games

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I was actually hoping the Cowboys had a shot at him in the draft, if nothing else for just the option that he was there. But still wouldn't trade Martin for anyone. That includes Donald, Mack, anyone.

It's funny because I remember many Titans fans(myself included) were against the Lewan pick. At the time we had Michael Roos and Michael Oher as our starters, so we didn't see the need for another tackle at that point. A year later, Roos retired and Oher was cut.

Funny how that all works out. 

As a Colts fan, Lewan certainly should be considered one of the top tackles in the league and it's no surprise he's received this contract. (Not that our defense has been doing much successful pass rushing recently anyway) but you certainly see how good he is and it was absolutely the right decision for the Titans to lock him down. If not them someone else does. 

17 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

It's funny because I remember many Titans fans(myself included) were against the Lewan pick. At the time we had Michael Roos and Michael Oher as our starters, so we didn't see the need for another tackle at that point. A year later, Roos retired and Oher was cut.

Funny how that all works out. 

Very true. I was in the group as well. But it ended up being the smart move in the long run.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:28 AM, TitanLegend said:

Paying RBs a ton of money is incredibly stupid and no one should do it. They're a dime a dozen and if you put your resources in to the o-line and build a good one, it doesn't really matter who the RB is.

QB, defense and o-line are what matters in the NFL I feel. Scraps at receiver, TE and RB are fine.

Wrong. You shouldn't pay average HBs. If you have an elite HB, pay him early and ride out his useful life.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:27 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Fair enough, I could see someone try to argue those guys in the top 5.

I would also argue that someone could state Lewan should be ahead of the guys who have been injured (some coming off season ending injuries) such as Jason Peters, Trent Williams, and Tyron Smith.

I'm a huge fan of Andrew Whitworth myself, but I feel Lewan is ahead of Staley.

It's curious that your list seems to be more about 'who has been considered the best the past few years' (with the notable exception of Staley) rather than how they are today. Hopefully those coming off injuries bounce back to form, but in the case of a guy like Jason Peters, with his age, it remains to be seen.

I wouldnt worry about jason peters age guy is a freak of nature he should play at a probowl level again this year like he always does. 

The right move is to pay no one. Teams are being unnecessarily reckless with spending because of the recent trend of cap spikes. If you spend money, then you don't have that money. Smart teams know that they should save that money to buy cool cars, and helicopters, and all the latest sneakers. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Wrong. You shouldn't pay average HBs. If you have an elite HB, pay him early and ride out his useful life.

Nah. Ride him in to the dirt the 5 years of his rookie deal, find someone else after unless he's willing to take far less than what he's "worth".

On 7/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dime a dozen is an overused term. We’ve seen how terrible Dallas was running without Zeke. If it was so easy to find a serviceable one then less teams would have sucky running games

They averaged 121.3 ypg(which would rank 9th in the NFL last year) rushing in the 6 game stretch without Elliot, and an overall of 4.2 YPC(would have tied for 11th in the NFL last year) without Elliot. Elliot made them better, sure, but they did okay without him too. And they probably would have done even better had Dak not fallen off the face of the earth at times(which he did both with and without Elliot so not sure you can place all the blame on Elliot being gone for his slump).

17 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

They averaged 121.3 ypg(which would rank 9th in the NFL last year) rushing in the 6 game stretch without Elliot, and an overall of 4.2 YPC(would have tied for 11th in the NFL last year) without Elliot. Elliot made them better, sure, but they did okay without him too. And they probably would have done even better had Dak not fallen off the face of the earth at times(which he did both with and without Elliot so not sure you can place all the blame on Elliot being gone for his slump).

Tyron Smith was out a couple of those games as well.  They would have put up even better numbers on the ground if he was playing.

Anyway, this is a good deal.  I consider Lewan a top 5 LT.  

1. Trent Williams

2. Tyron Smith

3. Jason Peters

4. David Bakhtiari

5. Taylor Lewan

37 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Nah. Ride him in to the dirt the 5 years of his rookie deal, find someone else after unless he's willing to take far less than what he's "worth".

That's a bad opinion. It's especially odd because you got to see what a premier HB can do when Gurley posted 276 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs against your Titans last year. There are only so many great players in the NFL. You don't let them walk because you can replace them with an average player. Average runners are replaceable. Great HBs are not. They're ridiculously undervalued. I love that the Rams rewarded Gurley with a second contract. We have him locked up through his age 28 season. That's perfect.

30 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The Cowboys offense did not look good in 5 of the 6 games they played without Zeke. The only game where they impressed was against the hapless Giants. As for Dak, he didn't fall apart until Zeke started his suspension. Over the first 8 games (Zeke started each of the first 8 games), he had 16 TDs to 4 Ints and a 97.9 Passer Rating. Over the final 8 games, he posted 6 TDs to 9 Ints and a 74.0 Passer Rating. It is true that Dak didn't rebound after Zeke returned for the final 2 games, but one has to wonder if he'd have ever slumped if Zeke never is suspended.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's a bad opinion. It's especially odd because you got to see what a premier HB can do when Gurley posted 276 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs against your Titans last year. There are only so many great players in the NFL. You don't let them walk because you can replace them with an average player. Average runners are replaceable. Great HBs are not. They're ridiculously undervalued. I love that the Rams rewarded Gurley with a second contract. We have him locked up through his age 28 season. That's perfect.

I've seen all sorts of players put up great stat lines against the Titans over the years, I dunno if that's the best argument. **** LeBeau just isn't/wasn't what he used to be and got severely outcoached by McVay. I mean Gurley is obviously talented and put in work to achieve those numbers, but those numbers were far more schemed than they were just individual effort by Gurley I feel.

There's so much talent at RB coming in so often that you don't need to pay them a ton of money.

LeVeon Bell was a 2nd round pick, and I would also note his rookie season was pretty bad, and he didn't take off until the next year when Munchak took over coaching the Steelers o-line and turned it from **** to gold.

David Johnson's a 3rd round pick.

Kamara is a 3rd round pick.

Kareem Hunt is a 3rd round pick.

McCoy is a 2nd round pick.

Howard is a 5th round pick.

Freeman is a 4th round pick.

There's just talent on top of talent on top of talent at the RB position without putting extremely valuable resources in to them. Are all of them as good as Gurley? No. Are they still very good backs capable of leading a rushing offense? I'd say so, yeah. And with competent coaching or supporting cast(and my opinion is QB, OLine and defense are far and away the 3 most important aspects of a football team) that's more than enough.

It's not a knock on Gurley either, he's obviously a great player. But with the amount of talent that seems to come out so often at running back, sinking 14 million a year in to one just seems asinine to me.

It's even more asinine when you consider Aaron Donald, the best player on your football team, still hasn't been paid. I can't for the life of me figure out paying Cooks all that money(I don't think Cooks is worth even close to what he got, regardless of my opinion on the worth of WRs. I can at least agree Gurley is a great football player. Cooks is an adequate #1 but I don't think he's special). Sinking 30 million a year in to Cooks and Gurley instead of paying Donald is a interesting strategy to say the least.

I feel like the Rams might be going down the wrong road in terms of how they're dishing out contracts. I feel like super bowl teams have showed you need to pay far more respect to your defense than you do your offense. The Colts are a prime example. One of the best QBs to ever play the game, two HOF receivers, usually a pretty good 3rd receiver, a top line TE and largely neglecting the defense got them all of 1 ring when having one of the maybe 3 or 4 best QBs to ever play. I don't think it's just luck that the one year they did get a ring with Peyton, their defense turned it on in the playoffs and carried him to it.

But I guess that's getting entirely off-topic, but it's a topic I do find interesting(team building and how it should be done most effectively). I'm very intrigued to see what the Rams do going forward.

Archived