Falcons re-sign OT Jake Matthews to a 5-year, $75M deal

TheKillerNacho

I feel like Matthews is a bit disrespected. We don't have guys like Orlando Pace or Walter Jones anymore... they don't exist. Tyron Smith is still at the top even after battling through some injures in recent years but Matthews is one of the better young tackles in football today. Good jobs Falcons for locking him up.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is Matthews this good?  Legit asking.

Can’t speak too much in years prior, but he’s a good, young tackle. Not elite, but someone you’re comfortable and confident in starting. 

With the new market lately, this was an expected/worthwhile deal IMO.

He is usually a top  5 to 10 LT in the league on an AVG year who sparingly can play up to a elite level in 4 or 5 game spurts.  Then might give you 1 really bad game to bring him back down to earth numbers wise.  But overall he's not someone you would be upset at being your LT and honestly considering only 20 mil of the contract is guaranteed thats not bad at all.   Last year Matthews according to PFF outplayed Lewan.  I would say Lewan is a much better pass protector and Matthews is the better of the 2 in the run game.  But overall Lewan is the better of the 2 OT's imo but it's not like Ruskie up there is acting lwhere Matthews doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as Lewan like he's some chump.  Plus not only is Lewan making more money his guaranteed is more than doubled at 50 mil compared to Matthews so if Matthews plays up to a elite level he is capable of then he gets the full 75 mil if he doesn't then were only on the hook for 20 mil over 5 seasons of the contract.

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Seeing he and Lewan get their new contract at the same time just makes me think about the 2014 draft and the debate between Robinson/Matthews/Lewan.

Crazy how much Greg Robinson's career has flamed out at this point.

I thought it was hilarious that people actually thought Robinson could be an NFL OT.

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Seeing he and Lewan get their new contract at the same time just makes me think about the 2014 draft and the debate between Robinson/Matthews/Lewan.

Crazy how much Greg Robinson's career has flamed out at this point.

I always knew that Robinson would be a bust...so mad we didn't draft Matthews or Lewan

Archived