Texans DE/OLB Jadevion Clowney to NOT get extension

ET80

It's kinda news-ish.

The rest of the "good" 2014 draft class is either holding out for a new deal (Donald, Mack) or is counting their new money (Lewan, Matthews) but the Texans and the #1 pick are halting discussions for the time being.

Given Clowney's injury history, it's a safe bet to not pay him at this point - last season was the first season where Clowney played a full 16 games. This being said, the 2nd team All Pro LB in 2016 has steadily improved over the past two seasons and demonstrated a knack for defending the run (led the NFL in TFLs the last two seasons). Last season, Clowney took on a leadership role on the team and set a career high with 9.5 sacks, all without Whitney Mercilius and JJ Watt out with injuries.

What sort of season would Clowney need to have to earn a Donald/Mack type deal? Would the Texans be smart to Franchise Tag him in 2019? What would a FA market look like for 26 year old DE/OLB hybrid with some of the most intriguing physical tools at his disposal?

Off topic but jeeze that 2014 1st round draft class was stacked...Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Matthews, Evans, Barr, Lewan, Beckham, Donald, Shazier, Martin, Mosley, Cooks, Dix, Verrett....that was also the year Carr didn't go until the 2nd round with the likes of Borltes, Manziel, and Bridgewater all going ahead of him in round 1.

18 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This just seems like a smart move considering his injury history. If he does have a fantastic season he is still eligible for the franchise tag, too, right? So there's really no incentive for them to get anything done right away.

Yeah, this seems like a precursor for a franchise tag - but given the behavior of both Clowney and the Texans, I wouldn't be too shocked if a deal is done if Clowney does play well. The Texans have some significant cap room, so not using it at some point would be very questionable.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, this seems like a precursor for a franchise tag - but given the behavior of both Clowney and the Texans, I wouldn't be too shocked if a deal is done if Clowney does play well. The Texans have some significant cap room, so not using it at some point would be very questionable.

Injury concerns just don't go away though. I'd imagine the Texans would franchise tag him and get another year to see if he can remain healthy.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Injury concerns just don't go away though. I'd imagine the Texans would franchise tag him and get another year to see if he can remain healthy.

They sort of do. 

Matthew Stafford early in his career looked like he’d retire before winning an an NFL game.

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Off topic but jeeze that 2014 1st round draft class was stacked...Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Matthews, Evans, Barr, Lewan, Beckham, Donald, Shazier, Martin, Mosley, Cooks, Dix, Verrett....that was also the year Carr didn't go until the 2nd round with the likes of Borltes, Manziel, and Bridgewater all going ahead of him in round 1.

And with the 10th pick in the NFL draft the Detroit Lions select- TE ERIC EBRON

>:(

22 minutes ago, detroitlions72003 said:

And with the 10th pick in the NFL draft the Detroit Lions select- TE ERIC EBRON

>:(

That was bad but even worse was having pick #2 and selecting Robinson or #3 and picking Bortles lol

Is it conceivable that the Texans are waiting to see if they need to cut Watt after this year to extend Clowney? 

Looked it up an OTC and the Texans would only carry a $2M cap hit if they cut Watt after this season and save $13M 

I realize this is only possible is Watt misses more then half of the season to injury or completely regresses 

4 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Is it conceivable that the Texans are waiting to see if they need to cut Watt after this year to extend Clowney? 

Looked it up an OTC and the Texans would only carry a $2M cap hit if they cut Watt after this season and save $13M 

I realize this is only possible is Watt misses more then half of the season to injury or completely regresses 

This is my thought as well. If Clowney has a big year (worthy of a multi year extension) it'll come at the expense of Watt. 

Archived