Chargers CB Jason Verrett suffers injury, likely out for season

JammerHammer21

On 7/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, The LBC said:

Multiple ACL injuries plus now an Achilles tear.  if that's all on the same leg, his body is telling him to retire whether he wants to or not.

Nah. Sign a "prove it" deal this off-season, and take the change of scenery. Knowing the Chargers' luck, he'll probably play the next 6 years and not miss another game. ;)

On 7/27/2018 at 8:24 PM, The LBC said:

Your point?  Verrett had had one significant injury at that point.Casey Heyward was coming off a All-Pro caliber season.  And the Chargers went on to have a Top 3 secondary even without Verrett in the lineup, because of an undrafted free agent they already had on their practice squad who stepped up admirably in Verrett's stead and Desmond King who they got tremendous value on later in that same draft as Ramsey was in.  CB was (and honestly still is) a luxury for them as far as needs go.  I'm not trying to justify the Williams selection per say (honestly, jury's still out on him considering how little he was able to get on the field last season).  But trying to vilify them because they passed on Lattimore only to still end up with a top secondary is kind of dumb.

There's also the whole scheme issue. Lattimore is a man-coverage stud. The Chargers are more of a zone defense with Gus Bradley in charge. I'm sure Lattimore could still be effective in that scheme, but it's a waste of his skill-set. Plus, that scheme has always thrived on finding guys later in the Draft.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Nah. Sign a "prove it" deal this off-season, and take the change of scenery. Knowing the Chargers' luck, he'll probably play the next 6 years and not miss another game. ;)

There's also the whole scheme issue. Lattimore is a man-coverage stud. The Chargers are more of a zone defense with Gus Bradley in charge. I'm sure Lattimore could still be effective in that scheme, but it's a waste of his skill-set. Plus, that scheme has always thrived on finding guys later in the Draft.

I mean, ultimately, if they draft Lattimore there instead of Williams, they're almost certainly not going to be drafting Desmond King regardless of the value later on (the team has largely viewed King as a slot-corner, not a FS).  And King has really been the player that's made the loss of Verrett far less impactful.  For what the scheme covers up and asks for, Desmond King would be/is very comparable to what Lattimore, playing against better-scheme-fit, would be.

Archived