Chargers CB Jason Verrett suffers injury, likely out for season

JammerHammer21

6 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So Henry tears his ACL in the first day of OTA's.

Verrett tears his Achilles in the first day of training camp.

What major piece will the Chargers lose for the year in the first preseason game?

Keenan Allen.

11 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So Henry tears his ACL in the first day of OTA's.

Verrett tears his Achilles in the first day of training camp.

What major piece will the Chargers lose for the year in the first preseason game?

Henry was far, far more of a "major piece" than Verrett was.  The Chargers were a Top 3 secondary last season without Verrett, so losing him is just losing the added bonus he might have brought, it doesn't do much damage to the core.  As long as Trevor Williams plays at the same level he did last year, all this really does is affect the Chargers' depth a little and open up an opportunity for the UDFA's on the roster - which the Chargers have had a really good recent track record of identifying and developing gems where UDFA CB's are concerned.

That sucks for Verrett a lot. 

Honestly, this is probably the position the Chargers could most afford to lose though. They’re used to not having him around and between a great rookie in Desmond King, a top tier corner in Hayward, and a good young piece in Trevor Williams, they should be fine.

Well, this really sucks. Last year's IR made sense since he became back too quickly. But to go out on a conditioning test? Yeah, you're going beyond injury prone at this point. Guy should hang it up at this point. Sucks because he showed so much promise his first two seasons. Even in 2016 before he went on IR.

On a side note, if anyone was going to be the sacrificial lamb this year, it should have been Verrett. We fortunately have depth at the CB position. Losing Hunter Henry sucks much more.

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

What's Verrett's status in terms of his contract? He's played almost 25 total games over 4 (going on 5) years in the NFL. Is he going to be released next year, or what's the long term outlook like for him?

This is his last contract year with the Chargers. Long term outlook is to just retire at this point.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

What's Verrett's status in terms of his contract? He's played almost 25 total games over 4 (going on 5) years in the NFL. Is he going to be released next year, or what's the long term outlook like for him?

He is a free agent after this year. 

Awesome player, but can't catch a break when it comes to getting injured.  He just turned 27, so I doubt that will be the last we hear from him unless he retires.  I hope he can bounce back in the future and be injury free.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Awesome player, but can't catch a break when it comes to getting injured.  He just turned 27, so I doubt that will be the last we hear from him unless he retires.  I hope he can bounce back in the future and be injury free.

Multiple ACL injuries plus now an Achilles tear.  if that's all on the same leg, his body is telling him to retire whether he wants to or not.

Another day, another ChargIRs injury. Who'll be next to hit the chopping block this year (and there will be more devastating injuries to follow)?

I'm convinced the team is cursed at this point. How else can you explain their insanely bad luck with injuries? 

Archived