Chargers CB Jason Verrett suffers injury, likely out for season

JammerHammer21

Just now, TitanLegend said:

They need to fire the entire Chargers training staff. I mean I dunno if you can even blame the amount of injuries on them but there's some bad mojo or something with them.

I'm fairly certain the training staff has already been turned over at least once since the injury issues began.

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

So Henry tears his ACL in the first day of OTA's.

Verrett tears his Achilles in the first day of training camp.

What major piece will the Chargers lose for the year in the first preseason game?

Philip%2BRivers1.jpg&f=1

Great way to spend $8.5m this year! 

He is definitely done. When healthy he was a solid corner but he is never healthy. I wasn't thrilled when they picked up his 5th year option for $8.5m because I feared this very situation. 

31 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

They need to fire the entire Chargers training staff. I mean I dunno if you can even blame the amount of injuries on them but there's some bad mojo or something with them.

They changed their S&C staff last year and ended up being one of the least injured team in 2017 (even after losing Forrest Lamp, Verrett, and Slauson early on). We'll see what happens this year.

36 minutes ago, Xenos said:

They changed their S&C staff last year and ended up being one of the least injured team in 2017 (even after losing Forrest Lamp, Verrett, and Slauson early on). We'll see what happens this year.

Yeah, they were pretty healthy last year. It was a major reason why the team got better as the season went along. In years past, the issue was we were losing multiple guys at certain positions. One year, it may have been WR corps. The next year it is the OL or the secondary. Last year, we lost a couple key guys, but we didn't get outright destroyed at a specific position group. 

13 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I remember the days when the Chargers didn't want the 3rd best prospect in the draft because they had Verrett. Instead reached hard a 2nd round prospect Mike Williams. Omph.

They took Williams because their number one receiver (a lot like Verrett) kept getting hurt and his absence completely derailed his offense.  Besides, it is not like the Chargers have suffered much in terms of CB play since passing on Lattimore. 

27 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I remember the days when the Chargers didn't want the 3rd best prospect in the draft because they had Verrett. Instead reached hard a 2nd round prospect Mike Williams. Omph.

Your point?  Verrett had had one significant injury at that point.Casey Heyward was coming off a All-Pro caliber season.  And the Chargers went on to have a Top 3 secondary even without Verrett in the lineup, because of an undrafted free agent they already had on their practice squad who stepped up admirably in Verrett's stead and Desmond King who they got tremendous value on later in that same draft as Ramsey was in.  CB was (and honestly still is) a luxury for them as far as needs go.  I'm not trying to justify the Williams selection per say (honestly, jury's still out on him considering how little he was able to get on the field last season).  But trying to vilify them because they passed on Lattimore only to still end up with a top secondary is kind of dumb.

Archived