Newman!

vike daddy

I think Newman holds a ton of value since he is able to back up every defensiveback position.  The best scenario would probably be if we could cut him and bring him back mid season after an injury or something, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we keep 11 defensivebacks on the active roster.  Smith, Sendejo, Harris, and Kearse are locks at safety.  Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, and Hughes are locks at corner.  Hill is too talented and won’t make it onto the practice squad so he probably a lock too.  Sherels is one of our best special teams players and returners so I could easily see him being kept over a lot of other depth positions.  Newman has so much versatility, is a mentor to the younger players, and is huge locker room presence so I could see us keeping him too.

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

Would you expect him to play unless there were 2 or more injuries at either position ahead of him?

No. That’s why he would have to be okay with the role. He’d essentially be a coach, but one we could suit up if injuries occur. Keeps him in the building and with the team should the worst happen, instead of signing him off the street. 

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

a fair observation and question, but i think it may be worth a great deal to Zimmer, who stresses teaching and mentoring. we have two young d backs in Alexander and Hughes, they will benefit by Newman's presence.

plus, he makes a better backup than Sherels, if called to duty.

3. Holton Hill absolutely needs to be included

10 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I think Newman could be a surprise cut...mainly due to the reasons mentioned above. Is it strange that I’m hoping he’s cut? I like Newman....as a potential DB mentor/coach. 

I think they'd let him retire if he's not going to make the team

Holton Hill has been one of the most noticeable young players in the early stages of training camp. The rookie cornerback’s willingness to learn has been impressive, too. Hill spent time after Monday’s practice working with veteran cornerback Xavier Rhodes and Terence Newman working on footwork and backpedaling drills.

Newman: “This is what, our third day? Everybody is just trying to get better and perfect their craft. Guys have asked the guys who have been around and said, ‘Hey, can you help me after practice?’ That’s what we do. We’re a team and we’re trying to help everybody get better. We need as many people as possible to play well.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-cousins-treadwell-connect-for-3-red-zone-tds?sf194575568=1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Not necessarily.  I already think about retirement, but I'm still about 25 years away.  :D

I'm eligible to retire in four years, but hope to work until I'm 70 which is 12 years away.  Nothing wrong with loving what you do!!

• 3 weeks later...

Terence Newman is the oldest defensive player in the NFL, but might be the most versatile defensive back on the Vikings roster. The 39-year-old Newman, a first-round draft pick in 2003, can play outside cornerback, safety or at slot cornerback in Minnesota’s defense. Zimmer said that with cornerback Mackensie Alexander nursing an injury from Saturday, the Vikings could put the 16-year veteran inside at the nickel spot on more plays.

Zimmer: “We’ve been taking care of him with a lot of things, but he’ll probably get a little bit more work at the nickel this week.” 

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-carlson-confident-after-winning-vikings-kicking-battle?sf195956944=1

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Terence Newman is the oldest defensive player in the NFL, but might be the most versatile defensive back on the Vikings roster. The 39-year-old Newman, a first-round draft pick in 2003, can play outside cornerback, safety or at slot cornerback in Minnesota’s defense. Zimmer said that with cornerback Mackensie Alexander nursing an injury from Saturday, the Vikings could put the 16-year veteran inside at the nickel spot on more plays.

Zimmer: “We’ve been taking care of him with a lot of things, but he’ll probably get a little bit more work at the nickel this week.” 

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-carlson-confident-after-winning-vikings-kicking-battle?sf195956944=1

That doesn't sound promising for those who want him as a camp cut

Archived