Final Pieces to the Puzzle

Money

I think the Steelers are weak in the front seven. Like Troy covered the mistakes of the secondary when he was injured there were leaking pipes all over the joint, Shazier has the same effect for the LBs. The one trade piece and PR nightmare we have as the elephant in the room is Le'Veon Bell. If he's not signing and you're not tagging him and quite frankly I'm over the guy, then it's in your best interest to waive any tampering on the guy like with Alex Smith and have him sign his franchise tag and trade him. Gurley set the market. Bell will get paid and maybe get some high guarantees but he'll never be as good anywhere as he is here because of all the pieces around him. The OL, the WRs, and the QB. He's in a perfect situation to get 127 all-purpose yards a game. I'd expect Bell to get some $45m guarantees on a 5 year, $70m type deal in say OAK, HOU, DET, or someone like that.

I'm looking at a three team deal here. Not sure if I've seen this anywhere so this could be blasphemy. 

Martavis Bryant to JAX, Le'Veon Bell to OAK, Dante Fowler to PIT, and PIT receives a 3rd from OAK

Oakland you trade down a bit in the draft pick up a 3rd turn it into Martavis Bryant. You take Bryant add a 3rd and get Bell. That's called GM'ing. Bell would be a great fit in the Oakland spread system. Lynch is more suited for a power run scheme and he can spell Bell like Blount did in Pittsburgh. Derek Carr has a bounce back year with a checkdown in Bell whose best asset is catching the ball in space and making defenders miss. 

Jacksonville has no receivers to speak of Moncrief, Lee, and Bryant would be their best guy. He would help spread the field and open up running lanes for Fournette and give Bortles a deep threat. Fowler is surplus there as he doesn't start and you get a risk-reward type deal with Bryant.

For the Steelers, I'd use the cap room from Bell to sign Dez 1 year, $5m and sign DeMarco Murray, persuade Murray whatever you wanna call it to come out of retirement. He is an easy 1,200 yards a year behind this line. He's a one cut runner, which is perfect for our zone run scheme and is a nice combination of power and speed. You have Samuels to pick up the slack with the loss of Bell in the receiving game. And James Conner is a nice 1-2 punch with Murray. 

Then I give John Lynch a chance to cut bait on Reuben Foster and give him three years of 3rd rd picks.

We're looking at Fowler and Watt on the outside. Dupree more as a floater so he can use his speed and blitz up the middle or stunts because he can't get the edge, let alone set the edge in the run game. His best asset is his combination of size and speed and it's not working for him as a 3-4 OLB. I think he's best utilized in space where he can flash his 4.5 speed. Foster plugging up the middle. And then all of the young S/LB hybrids helping out the nickel package. That is far fetched and it's just an idea, but it would certainly be enough to get a ring and set up the team better for the future than picking up a 2020 3rd rd pick for Bell.

Archived