Preseason GT #1: Lions vs Colts

ManeLine

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Roberts is looking bad. And horrible call by the zebras. That was a fumble recovered by the Colts. I also never saw the OPI they called earlier on the Colts. 

Fumbled it out of bounds on his reception too. He's gotta learn ball security if he's going to be a weapon.

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

D looks stout.

Ruddock has been terrible

How did Ruddock look terrible?  He made great reads and 2 touchdowns.  His running was perfect and very effective.    He changed the play at the line when he needed to and changed it to the right play.  I thought he played very well and proved he was better than Dan O.  I think that he showed he is poised and skilled enough to be a quality backup and come in if needed.   The D has played well on all 3 levels.  Their coverage has been good, the LB's have flowed to the ball and been stout against the run and the D line has gotten consistent pressure and got their hands up to bat down balls.  The Running game has looked promising and Washington while he didn't go crazy he has shown to make the proper read instead of trying to bounce it outside and make the home run play.  WR's looked great.  Golladay showed why the hype is there and why I wanted him in the draft process.  His ability to stay focused and look the ball in and make contested catches really flashed today.  On his second TD he knew where the ball was going but didn't show it till the last moment and not allowing the defender to react to the ball.  His routes and adjustments we top notch today.  When the regular season begins he won't be covered by the top CB's right away and his production will show it and then the real test will begin when teams start rolling coverages his way and he starts seeing the better corners on him.  How he handles that and adjusts to that will be key.  Zettel looked nice with max effort and constant pressure and production.  The O line held up nice and G. Robbinson did a very nice job and he has shown that maybe he had a total lack of confidence in LA.  Maybe the coaching staff expected him to be great and didn't nourish him and teach him properly and just assumed he knew how to be great.  Once those expectations are on you and you are not told or shown how to deal with that in the proper way you get lost and that showed.  Overall I am impressed with their play and effort.  Hyder's injury scares me because of the non-contact part of it.  The way he just went down suggests either structural or nerve damage.  It looked bad and I hope that it was just some sort of sprain or something that does not cost him much time.  I like Hyder and the league needs more men like him, the max effort never quit players who take their max potential and maximize it and get the absolute most out of it.  Staffords pick was unfortunate but I think that sometimes he throws it so hard that at a short distance a player can't catch up to it and it gets into the body or chest and up it pops.  Really excited for the season and I hope that not one more player in the NFL gets injured in the preseason.  #DEFENDTHEDEN

Offense:

Great- Kenny Golladay. Made tough catches, looked poised, good concentration.

Good- Brad Kaaya. Reading defenses, not forcing things, going through his progressions, looking off defensive pressure, etc.

Bad- Matt Asiata. I didn't expect much of him, but I don't even think he outplayed Washington or Zenner. At best, he's our 5th RB at an injury-riddled position that we didn't really address in the offseason. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get cut. 

Terrible- Michael Roberts. He fumbled. He dropped. He was short on yardage. He had some good blocks. But in the pass game, he is Ebron 2.0. 

Defense:

Great- Anthony Zettel. He was active and consistent. He got pressure on the QB and moved around the Lion for the Lions playing both DE and DT today. 

Good- Jeremiah Valoaga. I haven't really heard about him during training camp, but he played well today. I'd like to see him get extended snaps with the 1st and 2nd units the next 3 games to see if he can catch on here for a roster spot.

Bad- Paul Worrilow. He got a couple good stats, including a sack, but he also missed a handful of assignments and tackles. He won't be bad depth, but I can understand why Atlanta didn't keep him as a starter. 

Terrible- No one. Not that there weren't bad plays and assignments, but no one stood out in a terrible way for the Lions defensively this game. It's preseason. Starters played two series. We were without alot of starters including Slay, Ansah, etc. We held them to 3 pts, terrible 3rd down effeciency and no where near touchdown distance until late in the 4th quarter. 

39 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Jim Caldwell just said in post-game pressure Hyder suffered a significant achilles injury. Fox 2 reporter mentioned being out for the season. :(

Biggest weakness on the team becomes an even bigger issue. Neat. 

Really hope some younger guys can step up.

It looked like an Achilles injury because of the non-contact and the way he just dropped, that is usually how it goes.  So sad because those DE's bend like that to get around the edge and that is when it could get stretched and tear.  Very heartbreaking.  Hyder was poised to become a better pass rusher and more productive especially with Ziggy coming back healthy he would have enjoyed one on one matchups instead of getting double teamed.  Ziggy would have drawn a lot of that leaving Hyder singled up and I believe his sack total would have increased.  Now Zettel is in a position to come in and start.  I think that Zettel will succeed and be a good Pass rusher because he not only has speed and power but he has learned and studied how to use his hands better and create better leverage.  It takes a toll on our depth though, which was somewhat suspect.  One of the youngsters is going to have to step up and produce.  Barrett looks good, so does the kid from UNLV.  We still have Washington and Bryant will be back in 4 games but at least this happened early in the preseason and they have time to address that need and get it figured out.  I hope.  I trust Quinn and I think he will either add depth by dipping into the FA market or make some sort of trade for one.  

Didn't face a very strong defensive line, but I was encouraged with Greg Robinson's play today. Only allowed 1 pressure on 25 dropbacks(PFF). If he can keep trending upward while Decker gets healthy, I think we have a shot in what I think is a weak division. 

Archived