Will the Raiders trade Khalil Mack, and if so?...

turtle28

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/30/maybe-the-raiders-should-trade-khalil-mack/ via @ProFootballTalk

I’m very skeptical this will happen, just like I was skeptical and still am that the Rams would trade Aaron Donald but still, if they put him on the market, we should definitely be players.

Correct?

We have two good OLBs, but we don’t have an elite pass rusher and while it would be costly to trade for Mack and then to sign him long term also, the trade would be much worth it in my eyes.

I would think we could trade Preston Smith and next years 1st round pick to them. 

Anyways, thoughts? Am I was off base on the compensation? 

Beyond the compensation we'd have to give up for him, the cap ramifications would be difficult.  We only have like 12-13 mil in cap space this year and next year.  Khalil would probably cost something like $14-15 mil against the cap so we'd have to do some maneuvering just to get under the cap.  I really like Khalil, and I do think we need to upgrade Preston Smith with an elite edge rusher, but I don't know if we can afford Khalil in the long run unless we dump someone like Josh Norman.  So really we'd be left with two options:

Scenario A: We get Mack, have to cut Norman and can only replace him with our 2nd round pick next year (we won't have a first, and won't be able to afford FA replacement)

Scenario B: Pass on the trade, keep our first, keep Norman, see what Preston Smith gives us this year and likely draft his replacement in the first next year if he fails.  

I love Mack but I think Scenario B is the smarter play. 

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Beyond the compensation we'd have to give up for him, the cap ramifications would be difficult.  We only have like 12-13 mil in cap space this year and next year.  Khalil would probably cost something like $14-15 mil against the cap so we'd have to do some maneuvering just to get under the cap.  I really like Khalil, and I do think we need to upgrade Preston Smith with an elite edge rusher, but I don't know if we can afford Khalil in the long run unless we dump someone like Josh Norman.  So really we'd be left with two options:

Scenario A: We get Mack, have to cut Norman and can only replace him with our 2nd round pick next year (we won't have a first, and won't be able to afford FA replacement)

Scenario B: Pass on the trade, keep our first, keep Norman, see what Preston Smith gives us this year and likely draft his replacement in the first next year if he fails.  

I love Mack but I think Scenario B is the smarter play. 

I can’t believe you didn’t think of this, but the obvious answer to do your favorite thing in the world and cut McGee and save $4 million. 

Also, Mack is currently under contract. We could keep his cap hit the same this year and have his extension kick in next year like we did with Alex Smith’s extension. We could cut or trade Norman after the season and draft a CB in round 1 or 2 I need the 2019 draft to go with other young corners, Dunny, Moreau, Alexander, Stroman and Holsey.

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Raiders were so dumb for giving Gruden that contract and full control. They were finally moving in the right direction and bowl cut is ruining it. 

Reminiscent of 2010-13 around des parts

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Slateman said:

They will. They want two first round picks.

Would you trade Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne for Mack?

The problem is you have to turn around and give Mack a $100 mil contract after trading for him.  Allen and Payne are on rookie deals.  I'd be willing to trade a 1st and Preston Smith.  Smith's deal is expiring anyways and Mack would be replacing him in the lineup.  

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem is you have to turn around and give Mack a $100 mil contract after trading for him.  Allen and Payne are on rookie deals.  I'd be willing to trade a 1st and Preston Smith.  Smith's deal is expiring anyways and Mack would be replacing him in the lineup.  

Big part of that too. So, unless Mack is going to give you a nice discount, that enables you to sign other players, I don't see any reason to even consider this, when I could just sign him later.

The Raiders want two firsts.

24 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Big part of that too. So, unless Mack is going to give you a nice discount, that enables you to sign other players, I don't see any reason to even consider this, when I could just sign him later.

They’re not likley to get two firsts, I think a first and then a conditional first is what they should get and a player who’s a good OLB.

I don’t think they’re going to trade him, and in the long run they’re going to regret it because I’m not sure he wants to re-sign there.

30 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Raiders will just franchise tag him.  He's unlikely to ever hit open FA.

Interesting discussion of what to trade for Mack. I’ve had this sorta discussion with a buddy who keeps insisting that the Steelers are fools for not putting the non-exclusive franchise tag on Le’Veon Bell (which is pretty much true) because someone might sign him and then you’d get two 1st round picks (which I think no one would ever do). 

My question is, for how many players — given their age, contract status, and production — would you trade two 1st round picks?

Honestly, I think for me the answer might be that there’s only one player I’d give up that price for right now. And that’s Carson Wentz. Three years of control with production we’ve already seen at an MVP type level. The rest of the guys who are of the young age and elite production you might consider (the likes of Donald, Mack, Von Miller, OBJ, etc) are already into the big second contract money, and the really young top guys who are very affordable (Goff, Watson, Bosa, Ramsey, Garrett, etc) still have a lot of questions left to answer in terms of consistency or injuries or maturity. 

Oh, and to answer the thread question, you just can’t trade a huge package of picks for the right to pay a guy a monster contract. You only have two currencies for player acquisition — cap space and draft picks — and you really can’t afford to blow huge portions of both pools on one guy. We know the cap commitment will be tremendous with Mack, so that means they’d have to be very cautious and conservative with the draft pick price.

I would draw the line at one 1st rounder and some filler. If they said they’d sign off for certain if we offered the 1st and Preston Smith, I’d probably pull the trigger since we’ll probably be paying him if we don’t land another OLB like Mack. 

Archived