I think this is the year the Patriots fall back!

DoleINGout

20 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If Verrett is never healthy, (which is undebatable), how can he be outplayed?

Because even when he was on the field, he didn’t show up the way King or Williams did.

Yes, Verrett is hurt AGAIN, and it is a blow to the defense still.

A guy who missed 27 games in the last two seasons is a “blow to the defense”...right.

Their secondary is without Tre Boston, replaced by athetlic rookie Derwin James. I am not a James fan and the rest of the Chargers secondary is average sans on guy - Casey Hayward.

They’re really not, though. If you think Williams and King are average corners (especially as a #2 and #3) then you simply didn’t watch them enough.

Beyond the secondary, the linebackers are average too. Corey Luiget is suspended for a chunk of the season. Brandon Mebane tore his bicep two years ago and isn't the same guy at 33 that he was when he played for the Seahawks. The Chargers have a lot of hype and I don't buy it at all.

The linebackers are athletic, but largely unproven, yup. The big men aren’t special. Bosa and Ingram are. You don’t need to be stacked at every level of the defense to bring it, especially when you’re mentioning the freaking Raiders in there.

Rivers may be better than Case Keenum, Patrick Mahomes, and Chad Kelly, but Derek Carr is in the same tier and in my opinion ascending where as Rivers is declining so I'd consider it a wash.

He is better. We have no idea what to expect out of them. Derek Carr is quite factually descending until proven otherwise. He’s down from his 2016 year. He’s incredibly talented and I think he’ll be a top 10 guy, but he needs to prove it before getting that mention.

Gronkowski has played in 37 regular season games and five playoff games in the last three years. Keenan Allen played in 24 games total the last three seasons with fifteen of those games coming last year. Allen has been more injury prone as of late than Gronk.

Keenan Allen played 16 games last season. Gronk played in 14. Both have the same number of seasons where 50% or more games were missed. 

See, we can both cherry pick.

Point is Rivers is without any go-to besides Allen when healthy and occassionally Eckler. Gates was featured quite a bit in 2016 and played for the team last year. Woodhead was a safety blanket for Rivers in 2015 and 2016 before getting injured. Last season Woodhead served the same role for the Ravens before getting injured again.

And who is Derek Carr’s proven safety blanket? Amari with the drops? Jared Cook? He hasn’t played a down yet with Jordy. 

There’s no way the Raiders right now are above the Chargers on paper right now and you’re using arguments against LA that would also detract against Oakland.

I think every year is the year the Pats fall back.

You're showing some recency bias maybe? This year's receiving corps is not even close to being the worse. How about winning the SB with Givens, Patten..err Fauria? We've had some lean years at WR, I'd take Hogan, Edelman, Patterson, Dorsett, Gronk, Rookie over a lot. Not to mention we have one of the best receiving back situations in the league (did you see White the other night? Phhhhhhhhoar)

Archived