#PaidDiggs!

SemperFeist

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's just unfortunate that they couldn't be working on Teddy's extension this year as well.  :(

I much prefer Cousins to Teddy, so I think its fortunate we landed Cousins instead.

Its unfortunate that we lost a couple seasons with the Teddy injury (and the injury of course)

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

They were never getting Diggs for less than $14M per year long term. He’d be getting $16M+ in March as a UFA, or the tag for even more than that. 

Have to put those contracts in terms of the cap environment in which they were signed. Green and Jones for instance signed long enough ago that their deals were for a higher percentage of the cap than Adams or Landry got. So the WR deals aren’t so much (great) or (bad) as (old) and (new). 

I wrote a fanpost at DN this spring projecting he’d get $15.2M: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/5/31/17412434/projecting-stefon-diggs-second-contract . That’s got the comparables in terms of per game stats and the math for cap percentages.

Didn’t think he’d take less than Adams ($14.5M), but maybe they gave him better guarantees. 

This is great news. He’s going to be a superstar.

Why? Timing? Adam's stats/performance over the past couple years have been slightly better (some of that playing with Hundley too). Similar in age. If I were the Vikes negotiating that contract, I'd think Adams should be paid a little bit more based on that.

@CriminalMind how in the world do you NOT have 16m/yr for Watkins as overpaid? That is the most egregious one. That belongs in Commons preposterous statement tournament. 

Anyways, good deal for you guys. 14m seems to be the going rate for good receivers and Diggs is young (talented) enough to outplay it and make it a bargain based on the length and growing cap. 

With Treadwell continuing to improve I anticipate that the Vikings will pick up his 5th year option too.  That would keep Diggs, Theilen, and Treadwell all together for the next 3 seasons!  Not to mention with the same QB during that time!

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why? Timing? Adam's stats/performance over the past couple years have been slightly better (some of that playing with Hundley too). Similar in age. If I were the Vikes negotiating that contract, I'd think Adams should be paid a little bit more based on that.

Diggs has been more productive per game in every way except TDs, playing with a dog’s breakfast of QBs on a run-heavy (especially in the red zone) team. 

More importantly, as you’d see if you clicked through and read the article, is that Adams’ extension starts in 2018, under a $177M cap, and Diggs’ starts in 2019, when the cap is projected to rise to $190M. Even $15M for Diggs in 2019 is effectively a cheaper deal than $14.5M for Adams in 2018. That’s the main point of the article, which I linked to. 

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Diggs has been more productive per game in every way except TDs, playing with a dog’s breakfast of QBs on a run-heavy (especially in the red zone) team. 

More importantly, as you’d see if you clicked through and read the article, is that Adams’ extension starts in 2018, under a $177M cap, and Diggs’ starts in 2019, when the cap is projected to rise to $190M. Even $15M for Diggs in 2019 is effectively a cheaper deal than $14.5M for Adams in 2018. That’s the main point of the article, which I linked to. 

Kind of a biased way to look at that tbh. Adams didn't get his contact based on what he did year 1 and year 2 playing 3rd fiddle and quite frankly being not that good. Adams got his contract based on his play the last two years, one year emerging as the number 1/2 option and the second year starring while playing with a cat's breakfast of a quarterback. Over the last two seasons they have been fairly comparable statistical players. 

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Except that when Adams got his money, he only had 1 year of decent performance and 2 non-descript ones, while Diggs has been far more consistent, despite the injuries.  Adams' deal is still baffling to me.  

Archived