#PaidDiggs!

SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It wasn't a question of talent, it's a question of who the better receiver is.  They are different things.  No one can possibly make the argument that Jerry Rice was a more talented receiver than Randy Moss.  That would be ridiculous.  But, it's clear to anyone with a noggin that Rice was the better receiver.  

Even strictly as WRs. It's not close.

You stack together everything Diggs can do vs. everything Thielen can do and you will end up with a pretty noticeable disparity.

11 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Even strictly as WRs. It's not close.

You stack together everything Diggs can do vs. everything Thielen can do and you will end up with a pretty noticeable disparity.

Not true, but we are not going to convince each other, so let's move on.

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have watched all them and I think Diggs is a very good receiver, but outside of his Miracle catch, there is no receiver I can count on more than Thielen to make the catch and make plays when they are needed. 

As far as Diggs, he has the Miracle, but prior to that, there isn't much I would say in notable big plays (especially 3rd down plays) from him.  For comparison's sake last year alone, 10 of Diggs' 63 catches (15.8%) were on 3rd down , while 30 of Thielen's 91 catches (33%) were the same.  

As far as I'm concerned, they are both top 10-15 WRs in the NFL, but if I had to pick the better player, right now I'm picking Thielen.  He's the (extremely slightly) better route runner and more reliable receiver.  Diggs may have the higher upside, but he's not the better receiver right now.  He has to be more consistent and stay healthy.  

1) We're going to compare an injured Diggs to a healthy Thielen? Insanity.

2) Diggs only had 14 more TOTAL targets this season than Thielen had just in the SLOT targets. That might impact those 3rd down plays a bit, huh?

3) Thielen is an extremely solid route runner with a savvy feel, and a killer double move, but when Diggs is healthy he runs routes and creates separation on par with Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham. Diggs has been one of the best route runners in the NFL for the last 3 years.

What I wrote approximately a month ago. When I had to defend having Diggs in my Top 10 WRs.

Can you even tell me where Thielen lines up and how much? Does that mean Tate is the WR1 in Detroit? Does that mean Landry is the WR1 in Cleveland? Does that mean Cobb is the WR1 in Green Bay?

Diggs is the WR1 when healthy... that should be abundantly clear. He was rarely healthy, that was the problem. 

When Diggs played at least 80% of the snaps (including the postseason)?.... 9/10 games he accumulated AT LEAST 60 Yards. 

When Thielen played at least 80% of the snaps (including the postseason)? 10/18 games he accumulated AT LEAST 60 Yards. 

Guess what? The ONLY game Diggs played at least 80% of the snaps and DIDN'T accumulate at least 60 Yards (vs. Pittsburgh), neither did Thielen. 

Did Thielen have some huge games? Yes. Did I own him almost everywhere in redraft last year because the Vikings explicitly stated they intended to use him in the slot? Absolutely. 

I fully expected him to clear 1100 yards last season, but that doesn't make him the WR1. 

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-using-receiver-adam-thielen-in-the-slot-for-greater-versatility/441564073/ 

Just watch all of Diggs snaps from (pick any game where he's healthy), the talent is undeniable. Honestly, I can't name 5 WRs in the NFL right now that are better route runners than Diggs. When healthy, he's truly special. He creates separation, he excels in contested catch situations and despite his size, he's also one of the best redzone WRs I've ever seen. 

So then you're going to say, well who did Thielen line up against vs. the Saints? Then I'm going to a tell you that was a product of Thielen ripping them a new one in the regular season (from the slot). Then I'll point out who Thielen lined up against vs the Eagles, and we still won't agree.

There, I save both of us at least 3-4 posts.

Cousins: “I love it. Continuity, to me, is very important. And it’s not a luxury we have in the NFL these days. There is a lot of change year in and year out, so I’ve come to expect that and understand you can’t use that as an excuse. You have to, as the new players come in, we have to learn quickly and get caught up to speed and go. Now we have to stay healthy and keep those guys on the field.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/31/kirk-cousins-loves-continuity-provided-by-stefon-diggs-deal/

4 hours ago, Cadmus said:

I have seen a ton of 2016 and 2017 Thielen. All-22 from both years. He's a good player and probably a fringe Top 15 WR, but the skill sets aren't even comparable.\

So why are you comparing them?

They're different WRs asked to do different things. It's kinda interesting actually, if you just put footage on and saw the types of plays they each made, you'd probably say Diggs plays more like he's 6'2" while Thielen plays a little more like someone who's 6'0". But it's actually the opposite.

A decade after the death of his father, Stefon Diggs paused Tuesday to remember him. The Vikings wide receiver had just signed a five-year, $72 million contract extension that begins in 2019. He talked about a conversation he had with Aron Diggs not long before he died in January 2008 from congestive heart failure at age 37.

Diggs: “It means a lot to me because my dad sat me down a couple months before he passed away. He just told me, ‘Look after your (three) brothers. Look after your mom. Look after your family.’ That meant a lot to me. With this day coming forward, it just came full circle. I have a lot of emotions.’’

Making the day even more emotional was Diggs’ mother, Stephanie Diggs, being on hand after arriving from her home in Maryland, outside of Washington D.C. She attended the morning walkthrough during training camp at TCO Performance Center and then watched her son sign the deal in the afternoon and take the field for practice.

Diggs: “That was the first person I wanted to tell, I called her Monday. I was like, ‘I need you to go get on a plane right now. I need you to come out here. I need you to be a part of this.’ She’s been with me every step of the way, so it was going to be a key part for her to be here.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/31/vikings-wr-stefon-diggs-signs-lucrative-extension-gets-emotional-remembering-late-father/

Diggs, 24, said he had been uncertain two days earlier where negotiations stood. General manager Rick Spielman said there had been some recent late nights at TCO “to 11, 12 at night,’’ working on Diggs’ deal.

Spielman: “He’s another young guy I know where he’s at right now in his career, but I know that he does have a high ceiling. Because of the way he works, his passion for the game, he’s got a chance to be pretty special. We’re very excited and we worked through this to get this done.”

Diggs’ agent, Adisa Bakari, came in to close the deal. While Bakari wouldn’t discuss contract numbers, he said at the morning walkthrough he was “happy that we got it done.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/31/vikings-wr-stefon-diggs-signs-lucrative-extension-gets-emotional-remembering-late-father/

Archived