Forbath vs. Carlson

vike daddy

23 minutes ago, RpMc said:

With kicking, there isn’t as much development as other positions. Guys either can or they can’t. Maybe you can project out his leg strength a little ways, but if the guy can’t kick it through the uprights (Carlson showing that he very much can) that’s likely not going to change. 

Not sure I buy that. Plenty of kickers have struggled with their accuracy early in their careers, only to settle down and be some of the more reliable kickers in the league. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Not sure I buy that. Plenty of kickers have struggled with their accuracy early in their careers, only to settle down and be some of the more reliable kickers in the league. 

Not sure I agree with that outside of maybe Mike Nugent, but he’s bounced around. Crosby was good early, went through the yips, and came back. Can’t think of a single kicker who struggled out of the gate and turned into a reliable kicker for years for a team. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Not sure I agree with that outside of maybe Mike Nugent, but he’s bounced around. Crosby was good early, went through the yips, and came back. Can’t think of a single kicker who struggled out of the gate and turned into a reliable kicker for years for a team. 

3/4 of Adam Vinatieri’s year’s were sub 80%

Steven Hauschka was sub 70% during his first 2 years. 

Robbie Gould only connected on 78% during his rookie year, and Stephen Gostkowski only connected on 77% in his 1st year. 

Look at many of the top rated kickers in terms of FG%, and many of them had a rough rookie year, if not first couple of seasons. 

Daniel Carlson said recently that he wouldn’t mind taking a shot at a long field goal in his NFL debut, and he got the chance against the Broncos Saturday night in a 42-28 Vikings victory. With just under six minutes remaining in the third quarter and the Vikings leading 24-14, Carlson lined up from 57 yards out, kicked and sent the ball sailing through the uprights.

Carlson: “It was fun. We weren’t sure whether we were going to punt it, based on the game, but coach  Zimmer was asking if we could kick it and we told him, ‘Let’s go for it.’ He sent me out there and put some trust in me, and I was able to knock it through. It was fun to have an opportunity like that and help the team in that way.”

Interestingly enough, however, the 57-yard field goal isn’t the one of Carlson’s two kicks that will be the most memorable. He told former Vikings punter Greg Coleman that it was his first attempt, not the longest one, that he expects to stick with him.

Carlson:  “I’ve worked for a long time to get to this moment right now, and to get to do it in my home state and have all of my friends and family here and have a performance like I did where I made all of my kicks, it was a perfect way. The first field goal was a 39-yarder going into the wind, and the wind was kind of playing some games out in the stadium. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a stadium where the winds swirl quite like that, but it was just a really clean hit, drove it through the wind." 

"Overall, I just felt smooth and consistent, just the player I’ve got to be. I’ve worked for a long time to get to this moment right now, and to get to do it in my home state and have all of my friends and family here and have a performance like I did where I made all of my kicks, it was a perfect way.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/carlson-handles-fgs-forbath-takes-kickoffs-to-open-preseason?sf195397140=1

Kai Forbath, who joined the Vikings in 2016 and has been competing with Carlson throughout the spring and summer, handled Minnesota’s kickoff duties for the evening. Forbath kicked off eight times, six of which were touchbacks.

Forbath:  “It was good to get a bunch of reps. I’d say 90 percent of them were what I was looking for. I didn’t try to over-swing when I was getting tired, but I’m just getting back in the swing of staying ready for a whole game. It was a great day for Daniel. I’m happy for him.That was the whole plan. He was doing field goals. I was doing kickoffs.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/carlson-handles-fgs-forbath-takes-kickoffs-to-open-preseason?sf195397140=1

Archived