Teams that are overhyped/underhyped

Jimmy Austin

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Overhyped: 49ers, Saints, Rams (I think the Rams are a playoff contender but not a Superbowl contender) 

Underhyped: Jets, Bucs, Raiders 

Just curious as to why you think the Rams aren’t Superbowl contenders? 

I get the NFC is stacked but they are right there with those stacked teams.

First, I want to say on paper the NFC is stacked but the NFC has had a lot of parity the last few years. 

Not just the Rams but also teams like the Jags and Saints who came out of nowhere last year. Can these teams maintain this type of success? It is a lot easier flying under the radar than being in the media spotlight. Every year we see teams surprise one year and crash the following. It happened to the Raiders and Cowboys last year. The Rams could go to the SB don't get me wrong, but just because team is stacked on paper does not mean they will win games. 

Overhyped:

Jaguars - I am guilty of hyping them up too much but the more I think about it the more I am like the Texans is getting back Watson, Watt, and Mercilus. The Texans are getting back a healthy Luck. Like the Jags still have Bortles who lost some of his weapons at receiver plus the Jags went (4-0) against the Texans and Colts without Watson and Luck. They won 10 games and got swept by the Titans. So with the AFCS getting tougher, I could see the Jags taking a step back. I personally really like them but again the more I think about it, I wouldnt be surprise if the Jags took a step back and even didnt make the playoffs in 2018.

Niners - They are the trendy pick of many. Some even think they will win the NFCW. I think they are still rebuilding and gave a QB who only has 7 starts under his belt a boat load of money. I love the future for this team but I want to see Jimmy G play a full season of meaningful, pressure games and develop chemistry with Garcon whom he never got to play a single snap with. I want to see Foster stay out of trouble and be on the field with that defense. I want to see if Sherman can be back healthy from a serious Achilles Tendon injury. I want to see McKinnon actually show he can be the guy in the backfield. I think the Niners will be competitive and in the playoff race but I think they are at least another year away from being a serious playoff contender.

Vikings - I am not saying they wont make the playoffs, but I think most people, including myself have undersold what Keenum along with Shurmur meant to the offense. Cousins from a talent perspective is an upgrade but its something to be said about losing the chemistry that the players had with Keenum and that they rallied around him. Its like Shannon Sharpe and Ray Lewis talked about how Grbac was a better QB than Dilfer but the offense had chemistry with Dilfer and rallied around him. The team wasnt the same after the Ravens got Grbac and moved on from Dilfer. So I will keep that in mind how the players will respond to Cousins and see if they can get that chemistry and rally around him like they did Keenum. Plus I want to see Cousins shine when the spotlight is the brightest. He hasnt done that in his career so far. Now he has a chance to prove to everyone he can be that QB to lead the Vikings to championships.

Underhyped:

Cardinals - I think they are being slept on hard. They have the talent to better than what many think but the only thing that I look to give me cause for pause is the oline and I want to see how this new offense will look. Outside of that, it wouldnt shock me if they finish 2nd in the NFCW and win 9 games.

Browns - I am not down on Hue Jackson like most are. I really think he is a good coach that was dealt a bad hand with the Browns and even dating back to his time with the Raiders. Now he has Taylor at QB, a plethora of new weapons on offense. The defense should be better. Like the Browns arent the same team we've known for the past three seasons where they struggled to win. These Browns will be competitive and win games. My guarantee was at least 5 but it wouldnt shock me if they finished the season with a .500 record.

Colts - To keep it short and sweet. When Luck has played for most if not all of the season the team has won at least 9 games if I am not mistaken. I dont know why people assume even with him the Colts will still suck. The Colts will be once again very competitive and be in the conversation for a playoff spot because Luck is back healthy and possibly looking better than ever.

Thanks for clarifying what over and underhyped meant; I was confused by the thread title.

Over: Oakland, LAC

Hiring Gruden as the head coach was bad enough, but essentially making him the GM makes things even worse. He hasn't coached a game in a decade and wasn't that great when he was in the league. At best they'll have a winning record in his first couple of seasons, but high maintenance coaches like Gruden wear out their welcome pretty quickly.

This was even before the injuries started to pop off. LAC will always be cursed of being a team of so much potential but finding new ways to underachieve.

Under: Baltimore

They aren't Super Bowl contenders or anything, but let's not forget they would have made the playoffs if not for classic Dean Pees defense meltdown. With him gone, perhaps they win a couple more close games.

Overhype

Titans: I don't think people realize how bad they were last year. Yeah, they won nine games and playoff game, but they were closer to a 7 win team statistically. With Houston getting some guys back as well as Indy getting a healthy Luck, and of course the Jags, I wouldn't be shocked if they finish in 4th place.

Pats: The gap between them and the others in the AFC is much smaller then people want to admit. Offensively, I don't think they have as much talent as Pittsburgh and defensively, they are way behind Jacksonville, Texans, Chargers, and maybe even Pittsburgh. I still pick them to finish with HFA, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish as 3rd or even a 4th seed this year.

Underhype

Colts: If Luck is healthy, they are going win 8 games and they could push for 9-10 wins if they get lucky. Honestly, I think they have a higher floor then the Titans, who has routinely been picked to finish ahead of them.

Redskins: I was really tempted to pick them to win the division. Defensively, I think they are going to be pretty good and Smith is an upgrade from Cousins IMO (less turnovers and more consistent play). 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Austin said:

First, I want to say on paper the NFC is stacked but the NFC has had a lot of parity the last few years. 

Not just the Rams but also teams like the Jags and Saints who came out of nowhere last year. Can these teams maintain this type of success? It is a lot easier flying under the radar than being in the media spotlight. Every year we see teams surprise one year and crash the following. It happened to the Raiders and Cowboys last year. The Rams could go to the SB don't get me wrong, but just because team is stacked on paper does not mean they will win games. 

I see what you mean teams do come out of nowhere but at the same time, some teams that come out of nowhere are here to stay. Its funny you mentioned the Saints because I dont think they came out of nowhere. I thought they been here since 2006 (the year they signed Brees and Payton). Their issue was defense. They finally solved their defensive woes where now people can take them alot serious. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

I see what you mean teams do come out of nowhere but at the same time, some teams that come out of nowhere are here to stay. Its funny you mentioned the Saints because I dont think they came out of nowhere. I thought they been here since 2006 (the year they signed Brees and Payton). Their issue was defense. They finally solved their defensive woes where now people can take them alot serious. 

They also solved their defense in 2013 and then proceeded to miss the playoffs for the next three seasons.  I think NO will be fine, but they aren't a lock to be good ( no one is outside NE really). 

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Saints should be good this year, but one thing I'd be starting to worry about is how long Brees can hang in there before age does to him what it did to Peyton Manning.  I'm not saying it definitely will happen, but every year it becomes a bigger possibility.

15 minutes ago, game3525 said:

They also solved their defense in 2013 and then proceeded to miss the playoffs for the next three seasons.  I think NO will be fine, but they aren't a lock to be good ( no one is outside NE really). 

I am trying to remember 2013. I know at one time they strictly relied on takeaways. Like literally they were feast or famine. Also too I didnt mention but they necessarily didnt have a top 10 oline in those years. I always worried about their tackles more than their interior oline. In recent years of them getting Armstead, they moved Peat inside and they stole Ramczyk.

20 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Saints should be good this year, but one thing I'd be starting to worry about is how long Brees can hang in there before age does to him what it did to Peyton Manning.  I'm not saying it definitely will happen, but every year it becomes a bigger possibility.

Brees can hang on as long as the defense continue to grow and be good and the running game continues to be top tier. I dont think either are going away so Brees will be fine. He dont have to throw a ton every game unless he chooses too. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Brees can hang on as long as the defense continue to grow and be good and the running game continues to be top tier. I dont think either are going away so Brees will be fine. He dont have to throw a ton every game unless he chooses too. 

But will that be enough to hang with the top NFC teams in the playoffs?  I Brees will have to be very good if they want to do that.  He may be able to do that for a 2-3 more years for all I know, but the years are there and you just never know how long a guy can play at an elite level - even someone as good as Brees.

Archived