Teams that are overhyped/underhyped

Jimmy Austin

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

I have always liked Cooks' game and I have all the faith in the world in McVay. He went after Cooks for a reason. Theyre investing in him for a reason. McVay clearly sees big things with the kid.

Just saying he is the only acquisition of the off season that really has any sort of risk of backfiring on us. Just because of the size and length of the contract compared to what he has proven on the field. The rest of our acquisitions, imo, are all completely risk free moves. 

Cooks had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him, one of which was in a very pass happy offense, and neither team were willing to pay him... that should tell you all you need to know about Cooks.  He's a good roleplayer, but he definitely got paid WAY too much money for what he will bring to the Rams.  It's not like Welker or Raiders Moss where the offense/QB situation was poor so when they went to a HOF QB they balled out, Cooks had 2 HOF QBs and specifically 1 offense that was built to pass a lot and he was average at best... The Rams will be kicking themselves for that deal sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

To me it comes across that way because everyone always point to the 2011 Eagles which again its ironic a backup QB actually uttered the words "dream team" when referring to that team. I personally dont think a "dream team" is a negative. When I think of "dream team" I think if the 1992 US Men's Olympic team.

But in the entirety of my post you responded to, did it seem like I was using it as a negative???

17 minutes ago, Raves said:

Cooks had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him, one of which was in a very pass happy offense, and neither team were willing to pay him... that should tell you all you need to know about Cooks.  He's a good roleplayer, but he definitely got paid WAY too much money for what he will bring to the Rams.  It's not like Welker or Raiders Moss where the offense/QB situation was poor so when they went to a HOF QB they balled out, Cooks had 2 HOF QBs and specifically 1 offense that was built to pass a lot and he was average at best... The Rams will be kicking themselves for that deal sooner rather than later.

That is ridiculous. He has clearly been an above average player at his position. I'm not suggesting he has been a world beater. And I have no idea if he will ever live up to the contract. But to suggest that AT BEST he was average is crazy. "Average at best" is what you call a borderline starter in the NFL. And Cooks has clearly played well enough to be considered a quality starter in the NFL.

The Pats never pay anyone not named Tom Brady, btw. I mean, when was the last time they ponied up for a WR contract? That isnt how they operate. So that really shouldnt be any sort of factor in the equation. The fact that NO moved him is far more worrisome. But cap space, dead money and future signings may have played a large factor in that decision as well. 

I'm almost positive the Rams wont be kicking themselves though. Its a team friendly contract. Only 25% of it is guaranteed. The break would be fairly clean if it didnt work out. A lot of these young WRs are getting up to 60% of their contract guaranteed.

Guys, we can't get carried away here.  Words have definitions after all.  I have already stated that I personally think the Rams are the most overrated team in the NFL this year.  That is my opinion, but let's look more closely at that statement.  Being "overrated" does not equate to being "bad".  I think the Rams will win the NFC West and have the #3 seed with a 12-4 record (at least with my current, non-finalized prediction).  When I call them the most overrated team, I am simply referring to the big FA acquisitions they have made this offseason and the idea that those additions will make them the best team in the NFL this year.  I don't think they will be.

That is it, I am not hating on the Rams and I fully expect them to be about as good this year as they were last year, plus or minus a game.  At this point in the preseason you can make a good case for ANY of the top NFC teams to be the best in the NFL in 2018 (Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Vikings, Packers, Panthers, and YES, Rams), but I don't personally think many of these new additions are going to work out nearly as well as many Rams fans do.  Could be wrong, we'll have to wait and see.  I certainly didn't expect them to be anywhere near as good as they were last year after all...

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

But in the entirety of my post you responded to, did it seem like I was using it as a negative???

Never said you were using it as a negative. I just said when people talk about a "dream team" they usually mention the 2011 Eagles.

20 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Guys, we can't get carried away here.  Words have definitions after all.  I have already stated that I personally think the Rams are the most overrated team in the NFL this year.  That is my opinion, but let's look more closely at that statement.  Being "overrated" does not equate to being "bad".  I think the Rams will win the NFC West and have the #3 seed with a 12-4 record (at least with my current, non-finalized prediction).  When I call them the most overrated team, I am simply referring to the big FA acquisitions they have made this offseason and the idea that those additions will make them the best team in the NFL this year.  I don't think they will be.

That is it, I am not hating on the Rams and I fully expect them to be about as good this year as they were last year, plus or minus a game.  At this point in the preseason you can make a good case for ANY of the top NFC teams to be the best in the NFL in 2018 (Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Vikings, Packers, Panthers, and YES, Rams), but I don't personally think many of these new additions are going to work out nearly as well as many Rams fans do.  Could be wrong, we'll have to wait and see.  I certainly didn't expect them to be anywhere near as good as they were last year after all...

So the Rams are the "most overrated team" because you think they'll go 12-4 and maybe win the Super Bowl instead of 13-3 or 14-2 and maybe win the Super Bowl?

Sort of.  I think they have been the most hyped team in the offseason (well, not counting the Browns which are irrelevant this year) and I personally think they will do well.  But, I could also envision a scenario where SF or Arizona give them fits in their division, they get unlucky here or there, and finish out of the playoffs.  On paper they have no excuses not to win the West (and I think they will), but it’s certainly not automatic just cuz they brought in Suh and Cooks and Talib etc.  Also need to see if Goff is actually the real deal or a one hit wonder.

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Never said you were using it as a negative. I just said when people talk about a "dream team" they usually mention the 2011 Eagles.

I know you didnt say it. Thats why I am asking. Because it sure seemed to me like you felt I was using it in a negative way.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, SkippyX said:

Feel free to name a single position group in DC that is better than Philly, Dallas, and New York...

Redskins have the same shot at winning their division as Cleveland, Indy, Chicago, and Tampa.

In the 26 seasons since their last Super Bowl win, DC has won the division 3 times, never with more than 10 wins.

Sure, lets crown their butts!

I'm a Cowboys fan, but the Redskins are a better team than the Giants my man.

15 hours ago, Raves said:

To be fair, both teams traded him for a first round pick, both teams having cap concerns (particularly the Saints) and more pressing needs elsewhere on the roster. I personally agree that a first rounder and contract extension is probably an overpay for what he's shown but its not like the Browns shoving Corey Coleman out the door for a 7th. When three of the greatest offensive minds in football (Payton, Belicheck and McVay all spent a first rounder to acquire him).

overhyped - steelers , colts - both have problems on D, coils QB might not be 100% either. Rams if they decide to abandon the run as they did vs the eagle in the play offs. 

under hyped -  Chargers , this could be the year they make the playoffs and make some noise .   Browns should win a few games, so they are in this by defaultxD I was expecting them to win more, but the schedule is difficult.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:51 AM, Dallas' 4 Eva said:

I'm a Cowboys fan, but the Redskins are a better team than the Giants my man.

That puts them in 3rd place.

I am looking for justification on delusional projections of DC winning the division.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:36 AM, Danger said:

Honestly all 4 of the top dogs in the NFC (adding the Saints) are better than any team in the AFC IMO.

The Falcons aren't far behind either.

This is one of those years where some team (like the Chargers or the Texans) could come out of the AFC and shock the world by winning the Super Bowl.  Kind of like when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl.  I would have bet my house on the GSOT Rams that year.

3 hours ago, Stafford4Pres said:

Overhyped: Panthers, 49ers, Vikings, Jaguars, Eagles, Giants, Bears, Texans, Rams, Raiders

Underhyped: Lions, Colts, Falcons, Dolphins, Seahawks, Saints

Lmao. Who is hyping the Raiders? I feel like everyone thinks Gruden will be a disaster.

Archived