Teams that are overhyped/underhyped

Jimmy Austin

33 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I am trying to remember 2013. I know at one time they strictly relied on takeaways. Like literally they were feast or famine. Also too I didnt mention but they necessarily didnt have a top 10 oline in those years. I always worried about their tackles more than their interior oline. In recent years of them getting Armstead, they moved Peat inside and they stole Ramczyk.

They were a pretty solid all around defense in 2013 and just fell apart. You are right about the o-line, this is the best o-line they have had since 2009. 

Overhyped

Chargers---as it seems like it is every year. 

Underhyped

Chiefs--This will probably be Reid's best team in KC. Their defense will be upgraded. Offense was very good last year and will be better this year. Special teams is solid. 

Overhyped: Even I think the Rams are overhyped. And I am a Rams fan. But the whole situation is begging for hype. So what are ya gonna do? <shrug>

Underhyped: Arizona Cardinals. Let them get some consistent QB play and they're gonna do a lot better than many people think.

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Underhyped:

Colts - To keep it short and sweet. When Luck has played for most if not all of the season the team has won at least 9 games if I am not mistaken. I dont know why people assume even with him the Colts will still suck. The Colts will be once again very competitive and be in the conversation for a playoff spot because Luck is back healthy and possibly looking better than ever.

True, but that also coincided with the Texans, Jags and Titans all living in the basement level of the NFL.  The Colts enjoyed the second easiest path to the playoffs and a first round bye, behind New England obviously, playing in the depleted AFCS

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Overhyped: Even I think the Rams are overhyped. And I am a Rams fan. But the whole situation is begging for hype. So what are ya gonna do? <shrug>

Underhyped: Arizona Cardinals. Let them get some consistent QB play and they're gonna do a lot better than many people think.

I agree with your statement about the Rams. Its like they cant win in any situation. What really gets me is how different but yet similar last offseason and this offseason is.

Last offseason McVay was hired and he obviously (being an offensive minded coach) revamped the offense. Top 10 LT (Whitworth), young talented WR (Woods), veteran C (Sullivan; played well in McVay system in Washington), drafted a polished WR (Kupp), traded for a young talented WR (Watkins) that many have questions about in some form or fashion. The Rams already had the young talented QB (Goff) who needed development and direction and the stud HB (Gurley) who is being badly used with Fisher and his joke of an OC.

This offseason the Rams decided now to revamp the defense to fit Wade system. So they go get a top 10 DT (Suh), a young talented CB (Peters), a veteran CB (Talib who played well in Wade system in Denver), a polished CB (Shields), traded for a young talented WR (Cooks) that many have questions about in some form or fashion. The Rams already had a young talented S (Joyner) who they tagged over Watkins because he is a leader of the defense and embodies everything in the locker that a team needs and a stud DT in Donald.

Now last season the skeptics was nobody thought the Rams would do anything because a young team, with the youngest coach in NFL history. QB was a bust in his rookie season, Gurley took a major step back in his sophomore season, Whitworth was old, Woods hasnt proven anything and most thought was overpaid, and after the trade for Watkins, many still was wondering could he stay healthy for an entire season. Once the Rams proved that their offseason last year was a success because they won 11 games, won the division and made the playoffs they wasnt just satisfied with that. They understood that if they want to truly be a Superbowl contender they have to continue to find ways to build off of last year's success.

They come into this offseason understanding they lost Watkins, so they dabbed in the OBJ situation, but ultimately traded for Cooks. McVay wanted Cooks last offseason but didnt have a 1st round pick to offer the Saints. They managed to resign Sullivan so now the oline stays intact which is key. The offense in general is the same. Again they focused on revamping the defense to fit what Wade want. Last year the Rams defense played well all considering the pieces werent great for what Wade wanted to do. Now they go get two elite man to man corners in Talib and Peters. If Shields is healthy he along with the returning Robey-Coleman will give the Rams a great cornerback depth chart. Joyner and Johnson III are very good safeties. So the secondary is what Wade wants in his scheme. He doesnt place a big emphasis on linebackers. The Rams dont have household names but I am hoping one or two of them will make a name for themselves in Wade's system. The Rams needed a dominant force in the middle of the dline. They were looking at Vea and Settle as draft prospects but then Suh came for a visit and he decided to sign with the Rams. A huge addition. 

So I feel like the Rams did on defense this offseason what they did on offense last offseason. The only difference is the Rams now have shown they can win after last season. Last offseason nobody expect anything from them because they hadnt won. One can say the Rams taking a big risk on Peters and Suh. That same person couldve said they were taking a chance on Woods and Watkins last offseason. Woods hadnt proven anything for the Rams to have paid him what they did and Watkins injury history wasnt the greatest for the Rams to dish out a 2nd round pick for him at the time. Not to mention paying good money for Whitworth who was 35yrs old that the Bengals decided to move on from. Like nobody knew if father time would hit him or not. So the Rams took chances all last offseason just like they are taken chances this offseason. The difference is people are paying more attention and the Rams are coming off a successful season with even higher expectation.

9 hours ago, game3525 said:

Titans: I don't think people realize how bad they were last year. Yeah, they won nine games and playoff game, but they were closer to a 7 win team statistically. With Houston getting some guys back as well as Indy getting a healthy Luck, and of course the Jags, I wouldn't be shocked if they finish in 4th place.

I mean, we fired our entire coaching staff, so I think everyone kind of recognizes that we weren't great last year. The fact that we won nine games and a playoff game with an offensive system that was last run in the 1980s was a pretty big accomplishment. I'd be super hesitant to bank on a healthy, back to 100% Andrew Luck, and even with him, that supporting cast is absolutely terrible. Obviously I could see an argument for finishing third though (really, I think that's where a lot of people are predicting us to finish). I'll just say that I expect the transition from a Terry Robiskie ran offense to a modern offense in LaFleur to be about as impactful as any player that's returning from an injury for other teams.

I'm just not sure that people that didn't watch the Titans for 18 games last year can truly appreciate just how much of a handicap Terry Robiskie was to every aspect of the offensive game. 

With all of the above said, I think we're being adequately hyped, primarily because I haven't really seen much hype anywhere. I'm not sure I've seen a single major prediction that has us winning the division. I definitely won't be shocked to see a slip back to 7 or 8 wins, but if things click offensively, the defense is certainly better on paper, I'd be equally unsurprised to see 11-5. Definitely not going to argue that we were a great team last year. Mularkey seemingly did a good job of managing close games, but I also think the statistical difference between record and the "projected record" stemmed a lot from playing an offensive system that seemed to have the sole goal of making it a one-score game in the fourth quarter.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

True, but that also coincided with the Texans, Jags and Titans all living in the basement level of the NFL.  The Colts enjoyed the second easiest path to the playoffs and a first round bye, behind New England obviously, playing in the depleted AFCS

Pretty much this. Luck, when healthy, is obviously a great quarterback. But I don't think he's ever played a season in which there was more than one other competent team in the AFC South. The Jaguars are coming off of an AFC Championship berth, the Titans won a playoff game and the Texans get Watson back. The division is significantly stronger than anything Luck has ever had to compete with.

over: chiefs- it all hinges on Mahomes being as good as or better than Alex Smith

under: browns- hue isn't playcalling and lets face it, their fate was sealed last year during Preseason by putting the team solely on the back of an unproven rookie QB
Ravens- Good Defense, Lamar will push Flacco, and theoretically they probably upgraded at WR... maybe

26 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Pretty much this. Luck, when healthy, is obviously a great quarterback. But I don't think he's ever played a season in which there was more than one other competent team in the AFC South. The Jaguars are coming off of an AFC Championship berth, the Titans won a playoff game and the Texans get Watson back. The division is significantly stronger than anything Luck has ever had to compete with.

Not to mention, even if he is 100% healthy, he’s essentially missed the last two seasons and he’s only now beginning to throw an actual ball. He’ll be in a brand new offense (albeit, a better one) with mostly new faces. There’ll be some growing pains.

One can expect rust from a QB coming back from a shoulder injury. One can expect rust from a QB who hasn’t played in nearly two seasons. One can expect growing pains or feeling out when a QB is met with a new offense. Someone with all those things going for them? Well, their expectations will be lower - a lot lower than they normally would be. 

Thats all on top of the division’s new strength.

Over hyped=Vikings, Rams, Chiefs, Eagles & Browns

Under hyped=Cardinals, Broncos, Redskins, Bengals, Bills

Vikings=Getting rid of Keenum was a mistake. Signing Cousins for that contract was an even bigger mistake. Cousins will lose season opener to 49ers. That's just what he does. He'll also lose the majority if not all of their big games this year. They will not make playoffs, but cousins will have pretty good stats.

Rams=I remember when my Skins would sign all the big name free agents. Then turn around & win 7 or 8 games with that stacked roster. I wont say they'll miss the Playoffs because I think Mcvay is & will continue to be a good coach. But 13-3 or 14-2? Forget about it. They'll win no more than 10 games, which could still be enough to win division.

Chiefs=Andy Reid is a good coach & good with QB's. But sometimes, you don't fix what don't need broken. Alex wasn't broken & Dumping him for P. Mahomes was stupid. Chiefs have lots of talent, but it wont be enough for a playoff spot. They'll be no better than 9-7.

Eagles=Remember RG3? Remember how he recovered from his injury? He didn't! He was never the same player hopping around & stuff. What made Wentz good, was his ability to escape the rush & run for yards & 1st downs. That's gone now! He's now closer to being 1-dimensional than ever. He's basically Cousins that hops around like RG3. Each hit he takes will make him worse. Foles will be gone eventually not wanting to play 2nd fiddle with a ring in his finger. Like the ole saying? When you have 2 QB's, you have zero. Eagles win no more than 9 games & miss playoffs.

Browns=Many have them winning 5...6 games. I've even heard 8 or 9 games before. Umm...have people forgot who their coach is? Hue Jackson still runs the show. I don't care if they're allowed to trot out the all-madden Browns all-time team. Hue sucks something awful. No more than 3 wins for them.

Watch out!!

Cardinals= This team is so under the radar, its crazy. Yes, Sam Bradford sucks something awful, but I like Rosen. But Bradford will be injured before week 4. He's softer than Bounty. They have a  great RB, Larry & a stout defense.  I see them surprising & challenging for the West &/or WC.

Broncos=Keenum will help win games for these guys. We know that have a stout D. Chiefs are worse, Oakland is a sideshow & charger are Jekyll & Hyde. Well, at least Rivers is. Broncos win at least 10 games & a playoff birth.

Redskins=My Skins! Very under the radar.
Alex is there. Guice, Thompson, Reed and good ole Vernon Davis. This team is being built like the 49ers of a few years ago. With coaches who were there as well. Remember when Alex was pulled after like a 6-1 start for 49ers for Kappernickle?
We wont do that? ?  see ya guys in the playoffs. We'll be 12-4 & no worse than 10-6. See ya soon.

Bengals=Marvin Lewis gets a bad rap. I know he can't win playoff games, but he can get ya there. He's a darker version of Marty Shottenheimer. Don't sleep on these guys. They'll challenge Pittsburgh for the Division this year. Love their Defense! Playoff team for sure.

Bills=People are crapping on these guys. Tyrod can make plays. Not saying they'll be dominating, but I think they make the AFC a little more interesting than people expect. And don't forget, Patriots DID lose the SB. And what happens to SB losers the following year? It usually surprises everybody. If it Isn't New England, it'll be Buffalo. Forget about Miami or jets. They have no shot. Buffalo wins no less, than 8 games, but possibly more.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Eagles=Remember RG3? Remember how he recovered from his injury? He didn't! He was never the same player hopping around & stuff. What made Wentz good, was his ability to escape the rush & run for yards & 1st downs. That's gone now! He's now closer to being 1-dimensional than ever. He's basically Cousins that hops around like RG3. Each hit he takes will make him worse. Foles will be gone eventually not wanting to play 2nd fiddle with a ring in his finger. Like the ole saying? When you have 2 QB's, you have zero. Eagles win no more than 9 games & miss playoffs.

This is so adorable. lol

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Under hyped=Cardinals, Broncos, Redskins, Bengals, Bills

Vikings=Getting rid of Keenum was a mistake. Signing Cousins for that contract was an even bigger mistake. Cousins will lose season opener to 49ers. That's just what he does. He'll also lose the majority if not all of their big games this year. They will not make playoffs, but cousins will have pretty good stats.

Rams=I remember when my Skins would sign all the big name free agents. Then turn around & win 7 or 8 games with that stacked roster. I wont say they'll miss the Playoffs because I think Mcvay is & will continue to be a good coach. But 13-3 or 14-2? Forget about it. They'll win no more than 10 games, which could still be enough to win division.

Chiefs=Andy Reid is a good coach & good with QB's. But sometimes, you don't fix what don't need broken. Alex wasn't broken & Dumping him for P. Mahomes was stupid. Chiefs have lots of talent, but it wont be enough for a playoff spot. They'll be no better than 9-7.

Browns=Many have them winning 5...6 games. I've even heard 8 or 9 games before. Umm...have people forgot who their coach is? Hue Jackson still runs the show. I don't care if they're allowed to trot out the all-madden Browns all-time team. Hue sucks something awful. No more than 3 wins for them.

Watch out!!

Cardinals= This team is so under the radar, its crazy. Yes, Sam Bradford sucks something awful, but I like Rosen. But Bradford will be injured before week 4. He's softer than Bounty. They have a  great RB, Larry & a stout defense.  I see them surprising & challenging for the West &/or WC.

Broncos=Keenum will help win games for these guys. We know that have a stout D. Chiefs are worse, Oakland is a sideshow & charger are Jekyll & Hyde. Well, at least Rivers is. Broncos win at least 10 games & a playoff birth.

Redskins=My Skins! Very under the radar.
Alex is there. Guice, Thompson, Reed and good ole Vernon Davis. This team is being built like the 49ers of a few years ago. With coaches who were there as well. Remember when Alex was pulled after like a 6-1 start for 49ers for Kappernickle?
We wont do that? ?  see ya guys in the playoffs. We'll be 12-4 & no worse than 10-6. See ya soon.

Bengals=Marvin Lewis gets a bad rap. I know he can't win playoff games, but he can get ya there. He's a darker version of Marty Shottenheimer. Don't sleep on these guys. They'll challenge Pittsburgh for the Division this year. Love their Defense! Playoff team for sure.

Bills=People are crapping on these guys. Tyrod can make plays. Not saying they'll be dominating, but I think they make the AFC a little more interesting than people expect. And don't forget, Patriots DID lose the SB. And what happens to SB losers the following year? It usually surprises everybody. If it Isn't New England, it'll be Buffalo. Forget about Miami or jets. They have no shot. Buffalo wins no less, than 8 games, but possibly more.

I agree part of what you said about the Rams. I dont think they will win 13 or 14 games. I have them one game better than last year which is 12. I dont agree with comparing them to the Redskins. The Redskins FO was a mess when they would go and sign guys like Albert Haynesworth. Like the narrative of a team shouldnt go out and sign big name FA's is crazy. Like if teams should be scared off by them, then where would those big name players go? The narrative is that a team shouldnt build their team through FA and that is what the Redskins used to do. The Rams built their team through the draft. They added pieces these past two offseasons to fit what McVay and Wade want to do on both sides of the ball but again make no mistake about it, they have built their team since GM Snead got here in 2012, through the draft. Why do you think they have so much money to spend over the next few seasons? They have alot of players still on their rookie contracts. So no the Rams arent like the Redskins. They arent like the Eagles "dream team". People just assume big name players in FA and tag that team as the next dream team. I didnt hear anyone call the Eagles a dream team last offseason when they traded for Darby, traded for Ajayi, signed Smith, and Jeffery? This offseason they signed Wallace, signed Ngata and traded for Bennett. The reason why is because the Eagles didnt build a dream team, they made smart decisions that helped them win a Superbowl last year and try to win another one this year well still being a contender for many years to come with Wentz. Thats what the Rams are trying to do around Goff. The same thing the Seahawks did when Wilson was on his rookie deal. More teams will do that as well.

Overhyped

1. Jaguars - won't make the playoffs
  2. Saints - won't make the playoffs
  3. Vikings - won't make the playoffs 
  4. Eagles - won't repeat as NFC East champs (but should sneak into the playoffs)
  5. Patriots - could be the beginning of the end for their dynasty (even though I think they sneak back into the playoffs)
  6. Browns - people talking about them and playoffs are gonna be in for a rude awakening (this is a 3-13 team) 

Underhyped

1. Packers - best team in the NFL in 2018
  2. Titans - will win the AFC South
  3. Buccaneers - will win the NFC South
  4. Redskins - will win the NFC East
  5. Cowboys - wildcard playoff team 
  6. Bengals - wildcard playoff team

Archived