Barr V Richardson?

SemperFeist

Who Takes Priority   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Barr or Richardson

There’s going to come a point when the Vikings organization will need to make some tough decisions, they can’t give everyone a $14M+ contract. Andgiven the way linebacker and defensive tackle contracts are moving, I don’t see a realistic way to keep both of these players heading into 2019. 

So, with that said, who takes priority?

For discussion sake, let’s say that Richardson plays like we’re expecting him too, and Barr shows to be an above average pass rusher off the edge. In essence, both players have career years. 

First instinct says Richardson because I would just value DL over LB and finding an adequate replacement LB seems like an easier task than a replacement DL, but without having seen Richardson play in this defense, I completely understand reservations with wanting to re-sign him. 

With those assumptions I think it is a tough call. Barr is recently 26 and Richardson will turn 28 at the end of November so age isn't really a huge factor. We know the importance of a dominant 3T in Zim's defense but Barr really could become a chess piece that could move all around the field if he shows to become an above average pass rusher. All things considered if Barr performs like you say he does in the OP I think it will be tough to pay him what he will command in FA. Additionally isn't next year's DL class supposed to be pretty stacked, which may make finding a Richardson replacement a little easier.

Long story short I can't pick one right now. :$

Tough to say.

I think a solid DL is more important than an OLB for many reasons especially in this defense. A constant threat up the middle will be great against the Todd Gurley's of the NFL and if Richardson can get some pressure up the middle, all the more better for Hunter & Griffen off the edges.

But as VMD said, there's some stud DT's to be had and getting an athletic animal in the early rounds for half the price a Richardson will command. As long as we have Linval, I think we can afford a year or two with a rookie next to him without the rook being a liability. 

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I think a solid DL is more important than an OLB.

Only by position label would he be an OLB but it sounds like Zimmer might have him, hand in dirt, as part of a 5-man front. That 's in addition to potentially coming off of the edge more frequently. 

However, I don't disagree with your statement about DL > OLB.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Only by position label would he be an OLB but it sounds like Zimmer might have him, hand in dirt, as part of a 5-man front. That 's in addition to potentially coming off of the edge more frequently. 

I honestly didn't hear a thing about that.

That would be very interesting.

While I agree that the 3-tech is more important to the defense than the OLB, I still think that, as it stands currently, the individual player, Anthony Barr is more important to it than Sheldon Richardson.  If Jaleel Johnson becomes a good 3-tech this year, Sheldon Richardson is expendable.  I'm not sure there is an OLB behind Barr that can possibly make Barr expendable.  

I struggle to answer this question, at least right now. As was posed, if both have great years, I think Richardson is more important to the defense, but Barr being a guy we drafted makes me want to keep him. Without seeing anything from Richardson yet in this system, it's Barr for me. But I have not voted because I just can't realistically say one or the other without having a couple games worth of tape on Richardson in order to really gauge his value on this team.

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

First instinct says Richardson because I would just value DL over LB and finding an adequate replacement LB seems like an easier task than a replacement DL, but without having seen Richardson play in this defense, I completely understand reservations with wanting to re-sign him. 

I agree. Richardson plays a premium position, Barr does not. However, we don't know how well Richardson will fit into the lockerroom and into the 3 tech position (new for him). We also can't assume that Barr wants to return in his current role that may limit his pay. If he truly wants to be an edge rusher or be paid accordingly, MN may not be a good fit.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn't Johnson going to be getting more reps at NT behind Joseph? Or will he backup both DT spots?

I think I saw Zimmer say something that he will backup both the 3T and NT but sees him as more of a 3T.

*It was a Luke Inman (Twitter handle: Luke_Spinman) tweet from yesterday.

I would much rather keep Barr if I had to choose.  Usually UT is a more important position the OLB, but we already have 3 pro bowl level players on our DL not including Richardson and I think you need to have be balanced at all levels of a defense to win.  If Richardson were to leave our DL would still be elite, but if Barr were to leave our LBs would really struggle because Kendricks would be the only decent one.  We already know that we have an elite defense without Richardson, but we have no idea what kind of a drop off our defense will have without Barr.  I think our defense would sorely miss Barr’s ability to shutdown elite runningbacks in both the pass and run games.  I think the chemistry that Barr and Kendricks have from playing next to each other for so long is really valuable.  I also like the idea of resigning our own homegrown players and having the loyalty.  Barr is almost as physically imposing as Danielle Hunter is and if he can improve his pass rush he will be a huge chess piece.  Finally I think that the DT class in this years draft is much better than the LB class.  There are like 5 DTs that could go in the first 20 picks!  Most of the top LBs are late 1st early 2nd quality players which could be more hit or miss.  Barr’s impact on the game is extremely underrated.  Also Barr is younger than Richardson.

Ultimately I don’t know if this will even be an issue because with a few restructures or cuts we could have enough money to resign both of them, but we would have to give up Waynes and Sendejo.  It will be interesting to see how the front office decides to handle this, but I definitely don’t want to let Barr walk.

Archived