Barr V Richardson?

SemperFeist

Who Takes Priority   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Barr or Richardson

Interesting discussion. 

Everyone keeps referring to Barr as an edge rusher, but isn't it more likely for him to line up with Kendricks over center (double A gap I think they call it) and rush from there?

Can you imagine opposing QB's with Richardson, Barr, and Joseph coming up the middle, and Griffen and Hunter coming from the sides?  Sweet dreams.

The Barr as an edge rusher discussion has been happening because that’s how it’s looking like he will be used a bit more this season than in past seasons. I’m sure he will still give double-A looks, but we could see him rush on the outside more this year. 

I wouldn't make that decision right now and the assumptions given are not enough to make the decision either. I would wait to see what happens this season. Trae Waynes should be part of the discussion too. There are scenarios where the team may go with him over both Barr and Richardson.

All that said, if Richardson plays to his full potential it would be hard for me to sign either Barr or Waynes over Richardson if I was the one pulling the strings. It does depend on how much Richardson is asking for as well as what the DT alternatives look to be. If free agency opens next year with Aaron Donald available -- kind of like the choice between Teddy, Keenum, and Bradford -- I would be considering none of the above and talking to Donald during the legal tampering period before locking the team up to Sheldon Richardson, Anthony Barr, or Trae Waynes .

Right now I'm hoping Hughes & Hill look awesome at CB. Giving us the option to cut Waynes and utilize the salary space to potentially get both with some other moves.

In general, DT > LB\DE

Our 2nd line of defense will suffer more without Barr then the 1st line of defense without Richardson.

Hopefully deep DT draft stays true, cuz I rather draft DT or OL early

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Right now I'm hoping Hughes & Hill look awesome at CB. Giving us the option to cut Waynes and utilize the salary space to potentially get both with some other moves.

In general, DT > LB\DE

Our 2nd line of defense will suffer more without Barr then the 1st line of defense without Richardson.

Hopefully deep DT draft stays true, cuz I rather draft DT or OL early

You'd think if Waynes plays where he left off last season that he'd have a lot of trade value.  I'd personally rather try getting something for him rather than just cut him. 

I'm also in the group that believes the defense will suffer more with the loss of Barr over Richardson.  The DLine w/o Richardson still has 3 Pro Bowl capable players while the LB group has 1 competent LB w/o Barr, maybe someone else steps up this year idk.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:58 PM, swede700 said:

While I agree that the 3-tech is more important to the defense than the OLB, I still think that, as it stands currently, the individual player, Anthony Barr is more important to it than Sheldon Richardson.  If Jaleel Johnson becomes a good 3-tech this year, Sheldon Richardson is expendable.  I'm not sure there is an OLB behind Barr that can possibly make Barr expendable.  

That's a good point, but at this point I think we realistically need to hope that Johnson can be an efficient 3rd DT first, before he can be trusted as a starter.

2 hours ago, Boda said:

You'd think if Waynes plays where he left off last season that he'd have a lot of trade value.  I'd personally rather try getting something for him rather than just cut him. 

I would agree he should have some value. However, we will get something for him, likely a 3rd round comp pick, if we don't resign him. He is with the team this year and next year, which is nice.

Another reason to keep Barr over Richardson after this year is because it will be a lot easier to replace Richardson with a rookie in this years loaded DT class (much better than the past few years) than it would be to replace Barr in a lacking OLB class.

OLB’s

Josh Allen, Kentucky (1st comparable to Leonard Floyd)

Terrell Lewis, Alabama (Late 1st-2nd)

Afernee Jennings, Alabama (Late 1st-2nd)

Montez Sweat, Mississippi State (Late 1st-2nd)

DT’s

Ed Oliver, Houston (Top 15)

Raekwon Davis, Alabama (Top 15)

Derrick Brown, Auburn (Top 15)

Rashan Gary, Michigan (Top 15 significantly better than Maurice Hurst)

Dexter Lawrence, Clemson (Top 15 significantly the best player on a stacked Clemson line)

Christian Wilkins, Clemson (1st would’ve been a top 20 pick had he come out last year, but will likely fall in this years stacked class)

Zimmer said, via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, that Barr is “unequivocally not being traded.” Zimmer added that the linebacker has missed practice time this week due to a “tweak,” but is expected to practice on Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/03/mike-zimmer-anthony-barr-unequivocally-wont-be-traded/

We are going for a chip this year, we are keeping the talent fully stacked for at least 1 year ...
On paper, we're a stronger team then last year (all 3 phases)

After this year, our overall talent level might reduce due to exits (due to salary cap) of likely at least one of Barr, Richardson, Waynes

Hope we can get an extension done with Barr before the season, maybe a semi-value type signing.... locked in money is locked in money.

Then depending on how Richardson played this season, we can explore cuting Waynes (if need be) for the cap room to retain Richardson.

Archived