Barr V Richardson?

SemperFeist

Who Takes Priority   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Barr or Richardson

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Waynes is under contract for 2019. Yes, they can pull the 5th year option, but I don’t think he’s been bad enough for them to do that. They picked up the option knowing that desicions were likely going to need to be made, so I’m guessing that Waynes is in their plans for 2019. 

There was really no reason not to pick up the option imo. I don't think that guarantees that he'll be on the team next year

Barr's commitment to football has been a question mark going back to his days at UCLA, where he considering quitting the game.  It was one of the top reasons why a number of people preferred Aaron Donald.  At this stage in his career I think the reasons to move on from him far outweigh the reasons to keep him.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Waynes is under contract for 2019. Yes, they can pull the 5th year option, but I don’t think he’s been bad enough for them to do that. They picked up the option knowing that desicions were likely going to need to be made, so I’m guessing that Waynes is in their plans for 2019. 

Good catch. While I knew this my post wasn't very clear at all and actually quite confusing with saying the team could probably only afford one more of them. What I meant is that they can probably only afford to give one of them a new contract. The team can keep Waynes on his 5th year option and afford one of the others. That is, unless Richardson plays his way to a contract that may prevent the team from signing him even if they don't extend either of the other two.

I was thinking in terms of extending Waynes. I agree that he is in their plans next year. I wasn't really thinking of the possibility of them pulling the option although, as you mentioned, they could pull it. In that case, the team may be able to afford both Barr and Richardson if Richardson ends up earning something around $14M per year average and Barr ends up around $8M per year. Those numbers are really just wild guesses. By the end of the year those numbers may not even be in the ball park. Barr could go either way from $8M per year plus or minus several million depending on how he performs this season. I am assuming he'll improve but if he does not I wouldn't be looking to pay him more than $5M per year. That would likely result in him heading somewhere else but if he hasn't improved I would be perfectly okay with that.

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Since LB isn't working out too well for Barr this year, any chance they'd just move him into Griffen's role? I'd trust Zimmers judgement on this one but if Barr truly wants that opportunity to be an edge rusher, there's probably no better time.

Do we have an adequate replacement at SLB then? Would it be Wilson?

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Since LB isn't working out too well for Barr this year, any chance they'd just move him into Griffen's role? I'd trust Zimmers judgement on this one but if Barr truly wants that opportunity to be an edge rusher, there's probably no better time.

I think he'd struggle against the run if you're talking about moving him to DE full-time. Guy is soft. 

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I think he'd struggle against the run if you're talking about moving him to DE full-time. Guy is soft. 

He wouldn't do that well rushing the passer either. He has never shown much ability there and Zimmer has reduced the amount of times he send Barr. I think that Barr is at his best running from sideline to sideline using his athleticism to cover ground and make plays. As a DE I do not think he would be good rushing the passer or defending the run.

Barr has 0 sacks when he’s come from the outside. Almost all of his sacks are from using timing and his speed to get to the QB on a blitz before he needs to engage a blocker. 

Honestly, it’s pretty embarrassing that a guy with his size gets neutralized so easily by smaller running backs. 

How is this a conversation?  Anthony Barr sure has not had a great start to this season sure, but the guy has been a Pro Bowl OLB for three years in a row now.  Sheldon Richardson has not made a Pro Bowl since 2014 and is a ok starter but nothing like people thought he would be in the NFL and injuries obviously has made him lose some of that explosive power he had before.  How is this a debate in terms of overall talent and longevity?  Not to mention OLB is a crazy hard position to find quality players for.  

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

How is this a conversation?  Anthony Barr sure has not had a great start to this season sure, but the guy has been a Pro Bowl OLB for three years in a row now.  Sheldon Richardson has not made a Pro Bowl since 2014 and is a ok starter but nothing like people thought he would be in the NFL and injuries obviously has made him lose some of that explosive power he had before.  How is this a debate in terms of overall talent and longevity?  Not to mention OLB is a crazy hard position to find quality players for.  

I'd argue finding a disruptive 3T is significantly harder to find than a 4-3 OLB.

How is it a conversation? Because people are watching the games. 

Barr had a terrible year in 2016, his play improved slightly in 2017 but it was still nothing special, and through three games this year he looks like a repeat of 2016. 

Barr is a special athlete, but he’s far from a special linebacker. At best he’s got average read and react skills, he struggles to shed blocks, his coverage skills aren’t anything to write home about, and what’s worse, he plays very passively. 

Archived