Barr V Richardson?

SemperFeist

Who Takes Priority   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Barr or Richardson

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

For us Anthony Barr pessimists. It’s a good read, as always by Nick. 

Still doesn’t sway my opinion of choosing Richardson over Barr. 

I agree. That thread highlights McVay’s abilities. It does not excuse the lack of determination shown in the first three games.

Big, fast, smooth athletes like Barr tend to look like they’re not trying, compared to short smaller guys who churn harder, like Kendricks. You can’t read Barr’s mind to say he’s got a lack of determination or effort. 

Saying Barr wasn’t at fault for the TDs allowed to Rams WRs isn’t an excuse, just a realistic understanding that no LB in the league would’ve prevented those plays. Gurley’s TD can be charged to Barr but it’s not like it was a terrible play, he was a step behind and got beaten by a very good throw and catch. 

Barr’s worst moments this year were the penalties in the Bills game, which were definitely his fault. Getting hurdled was embarrassing but that was much more a great play by Allen than a mistake by Barr. He hasn’t missed any other tackles, that I can remember.

Barr has been way better than Kendricks, for those of us who wanted Barr extended this off season and felt Kendricks was replaceable. 

Barr has been better than Waynes, for those of us who were skeptical that Waynes’ midseason improvement in man coverage last year would continue. 

Barr hasn’t been as good as Richardson, but that’s more a credit to Richardson (the best player on the defense this year) than a mark against Barr. I wasn’t sure Richardson would reach his upside but he’s been very good. If they can extend him for $10M or so per year, they should. 

Barr at this point is still worth signing for very good LB money ($10-11M per year), but he’s not worth paying like he’s elite ($13-14M) or an edge rusher ($15M+). Unfortunately they may not be able to afford to keep him since they’ve already extended Kendricks (who at this point could be replaced by Wilson with little dropoff for less than 10% of his contract AAV). 

30 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Big, fast, smooth athletes like Barr tend to look like they’re not trying, compared to short smaller guys who churn harder, like Kendricks. You can’t read Barr’s mind to say he’s got a lack of determination or effort. 

Andrew Wiggins anyone?

18 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Andrew Wiggins anyone?

Or any one of a hundred hockey players, from Lemieux to Lindros to Laine. The chippy undersized winger who goes into the corners and blocks shots is always the fan favorite, while the tall, smooth guy with the great hands or the killer shot who puts up 30+ goals a year gets all the flak. 

Barr could’ve had a sack late in the game (IIRC on the play Wentz floated a pass out of bounds to his right, and the announcers were talking about the hit he took from Alexander), but he got tackled by the LG, no call. 

Even with the only other option being Jalyn Holmes, nominally a DT, don’t remember Barr playing DE. Think we can lay to rest the theory that he’s actually an edge rusher. 

He was effective blitzing, think he produced  a couple of hurries. Didn’t notice any obvious missed tackles. Didn’t notice him making any coverage mistakes, unlike again Kendricks (who let Ertz go on the play where he caught a 2 yard pass in an ocean of space in the right flat and turned it up the sideline to convert I think it was 2nd and 15). 

25 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Didn’t notice him making any coverage mistakes

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a mistake, but defintely a miscommunication. There was a play, a play or two before the Ajayi fumble, where Smallwood split out wide. Barr went over to cover him, but then went back inside leaving Smallwood uncovered. 

It looked like there was some miscommunication between Barr, Hughes, and Smith on that play, it would be interesting to know who was supposed to cover who. 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:30 AM, SemperFeist said:

After Ali Marpet, there isn’t another IOL set to hit free agency in 2019 that I would be interested in signing over Richardson. And I would put the odds of Marpet hitting the open market at slim to none. Even if he were to reach free agency? I’m not sure he’d be worth the money that he’d likely get on the open market. 

Marpet has now been extended.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/09/ali-marpet-signs-with-buccaneers-through-2023-season/

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Well we did get a tackle in round 2 last year and everyone seems pretty happy with him so...

It seems to work to take them before round 4....they should keep trying that! Of course, he doesn't start for some reason......so maybe he's not as good as we think. 

Archived