I really believe this Redskins team, is going to be special!

Throughout Cousins tenure, I had hope that we would surprise people & play well despite some glaring holes on the team. I knew he had the physical tools to perform well, (as i predicted a 5000 yard passing season from him)but I had my doubts about his mindset & ability to perform under pressure.

So my excitement was a little diluted because I knew it would be tough to overcome many apparent questions regarding our starters across the board.

Like no true 3-down RB, weak--to--average at best D-line & a QB I personally never believed would take us to the Super Bowl. We just didn't have the horses & I knew that.

Well guess what? We do now!!

Yes, we still have some questions regarding starters & depth. Like LG, overall Wr strength & experience & depth in the secondary.

But this team is ready folks!

You may not see it, but I do. Sure, it may not be perfect & there might be bumps in the road from time to time.

And our schedule doesn't do us any favors, specially with an early bye week.

But this team is gonna be good.

And here's why!

We finally have QB that not only knows how to win under pressure, but has the playoff experience to take us all the way.

He plays smart, knows & weighs the risks of committing turnovers at crucial points in a game, but also knows he's a Washington Redskin & winning is way more important to him than future contract negotiation's, imploded stats for his next gig or disrespect from the team who wanted him on the roster.

Yes, he's 34 & no spring chicken, but his athletic ability & skill set can & will win with the people around him. Not to mention, the Skins have done well in the past, with veteran QB's.

We finally have a franchise RB in Derrius Guice & a complimentary RB in Thompson. They both have a nose for the end zone. This will be huge in not only making us 2-dimensional on offense, but improving our red zone deficiencies' that has plagued us for far too long.

Our WR's are talented but really unproven. This may actually benefit us at least early in the season. They wont be respected them until we start burning people & we will be doing that.

Our TE's might be the best combo in the league. Reed when healthy is a top 3 TE in this league. Vernon Davis is still a stud, but older now. However, him & Alex played together in San Francisco. They will quickly get that combination going together, they once had. I'm not concerned with our passing game at all. We have the tools to score on Offense. I have no doubt about that.

Next to having Guice here, I'm most excited about our D-line. Payne, Allen, Ion & Settles, is going to be fun to watch & see grown together as a unit.

You may think I'm crazy, but I believe this will be the greatest D-line we will ever have!!!

Yes, I'm talking even better than the famous & legendary group & my all-time favorite....Charles Mann, Dexter Manley & Dave Butz!

I truly believe this unit will be AS GOOD, if not better. So we shall see.

I personally don't love our secondary, but I think it will be good enough for now. I think the D-line will make them look better, than they actually are.

Our Linebackers are pretty darn good. I think we can have a very good defense, but they must stay relatively healthy.

I didn't cover -o-line, but other than LG? I'm pretty content right now. Trent & the Sheriff are studs. Roulier & Moses are good....not great....but good. No hogs yet, but were solid.

Gentlemen, get ready!

Were gonna be pretty darn good this year.

And Eagles better watch out! Redskins are comin for them.

We had them wk-1...

We'll get them this yr. I promise!

not to mention...Guice my have a little more anger, when we play them. Lol

I Can't wait for the season to start.

HTTR!!! Baby!

15 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

We finally have QB that not only knows how to win under pressure, but has the playoff experience to take us all the way.

He has playoff experience, but I believe he's 2-5 in the playoffs. How is that a QB that "knows how to win"?

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He has playoff experience, but I believe he's 2-5 in the playoffs. How is that a QB that "knows how to win"?

I mean, that is better than the last ten year of QBs. Success for this team, this season, would simply be getting to .500.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

And that is exactly why we should of gone with a rookie QB.

This team is ready to win now. A rookie would have held this team back.

Not only can Alex win in the playoffs, but he can get us dbl digit wins on a consistent basis.

Unlike our former QB, or most likely a rookie QB would do for us.

I again applaud the optimism, Ace. 

I agree that, tough schedule.. tough division.. tough conference or not.. The Redskins will be a legit contender. 

They will need, like all teams, for some things to go their way. 

The things they have to improve:

Run game from offense digs out of the cellar? yes. I think they get way out of bottom tier with Guice and CT/Alex assistance. 

Stopping the opponent's run game? yes. There are too many good options right now that should help improve this issue.

Can Lauvao or whatever they put at LG be enough? yes. Not too worried here. They only need a little more than DISASTER at this spot. The QB is used to playing with terrible LGs, and I don't think the options here will drag a healthy OL down from the top half of OLs.

The small areas worth questioning:

The young secondary ready to go? dunno. I like their chances, and I do feel the pass rush will benefit them. I think it won't be an area of great weakness, so there's that.

the unproven wideouts:

Will the unproven wideouts be enough of a threat? dunno. I don't think the team will need a WR bell-cow superstar. So long as they are in the "B" class of starters, that should be enough, if the TEs can play most games. Which brings us to 

THE only large area of concern:        STAYING HEALTHY

What they need most.. is to have much better luck staying healthy and viable through the season. They do this, and I still am on the 10 win season wagon. :) 

Teams win games, not any specific player. Smith’s resume has been as a winner more than a loser this decade but a lot of that has to do with him having a strong running game and defense to support him. If that continues in DC this year - which it appears it could - then the Redskins do have a chance to have a special year.

So as far as having a losing record in the playoffs, that goes the same way. Often times Smith has lost games because the other team was just better overall, or they team had an elite QB - which Alex is not - and a good to great D and/or running game to go along with that QB. 

Just looking at a blanket record of 2-5 does not tell the whole story. One of those losses was in overtime of The NFCCG because his defense couldn’t stop the Giants from kicking the game winning FG.

Last year the chiefs were winning before Kelce got a concussion and missed the rest of the game and before his defense fell apart. Then the FG kicker missed a mackable FG and I’ll also point out that the Titans got lucky. They got lucky not only because  Kelce  got a concussion but because his replacement couldn’t catch a cold and because on a red zone pass attempt Revis batted the ball and it went right into Mariota’s arms who carried it in for the TD.

I mean, really?

Do I think the Redskins are going to have a special season? NO! Because... well it’s the Redskins! They’ll find someway to lose a game they shouldn’t or blow an opportunity of beating a few teams which are better than them on paper like last year  vs the Cowboys @ home, @ home vs the Vikings and at the Saints.

My god...

I was over at ES & people are still debating Cousins vs Alex.

It's really ridiculous & I can't see why people are actually debating the issue.

So I'll ask myself this question

What would I rather have?

1) A QB that will throw for 4000 yards at will, have an excellent TD/Int ratio & can literally put a team on his back with no talent around him?

However, susceptible to crutial INT's in huge important games, terrible red zone success and an inability to not only win 10 games or more, but fails more often than not in prime time games.

Also has an incapability of winning season openers & escaping pressure when faced with it.

or

2) A complete game manager who will never lead the league in yards or TD's. Doesn't like taking risks, if it could harm the teams chances of winning. Would rather take the sure thing even if it only nets 3 yards & then a punt, instead of going for the homerun when its not necessary.

However, he limits his turnovers. Doesn't give games away and a chance for the opposing team to have a momentum advantage. Plays smart & can handle pressure, no matter how difficult. He would rather methodically beat you drive after drive, making no mistakes. Than to throw a homerun shot. He also consistently wins games, but he needs the talent around him to help him do that. He plays with no fear.

1 is cousins

2 is Alex

I'll take 2 any day of the week & twice on Sundays.

I want wins! I want another SB & Alex gives us a better chance to get that, imo.

I don't why its so hard for people to understand.

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

My god...

I was over at ES & people are still debating Cousins vs Alex.

It's really ridiculous & I can't see why people are actually debating the issue.

So I'll ask myself this question

What would I rather have?

1) A QB that will throw for 4000 yards at will, have an excellent TD/Int ratio & can literally put a team on his back with no talent around him?

However, susceptible to crutial INT's in huge important games, terrible red zone success and an inability to not only win 10 games or more, but fails more often than not in prime time games.

Also has an incapability of winning season openers & escaping pressure when faced with it.

or

2) A complete game manager who will never lead the league in yards or TD's. Doesn't like taking risks, if it could harm the teams chances of winning. Would rather take the sure thing even if it only nets 3 yards & then a punt, instead of going for the homerun when its not necessary.

However, he limits his turnovers. Doesn't give games away and a chance for the opposing team to have a momentum advantage. Plays smart & can handle pressure, no matter how difficult. He would rather methodically beat you drive after drive, making no mistakes. Than to throw a homerun shot. He also consistently wins games, but he needs the talent around him to help him do that. He plays with no fear.

1 is cousins

2 is Alex

I'll take 2 any day of the week & twice on Sundays.

I want wins! I want another SB & Alex gives us a better chance to get that, imo.

I don't why its so hard for people to understand.

You forgot #3, don't trade away your 3rd round pick and quality starting CB Fuller, draft a first round QB and save millions in cap space.  

Ace, your Aces with me ! Love the optimism. I've wanted to post something similar but the negativity here -- it just wasn't worth the grief. 

I can't believe some of the posters can't even take the wait and see attitude. No, they are all negative all the time. Ace save your breath and enjoy the season with me !

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You forgot #3, don't trade away your 3rd round pick and quality starting CB Fuller, draft a first round QB and save millions in cap space.  

#4. You have to trade up 10 to 15 spots to draft that QB giving up a Future first round pick and your 2nd round pick and maybe more unless, you’re on the Lamar Jackson development train.

So, no Payne and no Guice. And no let’s say Clelin Ferrell, DE/OLB from Clemson; Joe Jackson, DE/OLB from Miami; Devin White, LB, from LSU or Greedy Williams, CB, from LSU.

Archived